Author Topic: Splints  (Read 1041 times)

GJ

• Administrator
Splints
« on: October 18, 2014, 10:15:54 AM »
Does anyone here use a splint?

Could you tell me if (a) they retain teeth (i.e. no need for additional retainers) (b) do they open the bite since you have plastic sitting between the teeth, and (c) how exactly do they work...? Does plastic cover the upper teeth just like an essix retainer? And if so, how do the lower fit in the splint, etc...

Thanks!

Millimeters are miles on the face.

LoveofScotch

Re: Splints
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 11:16:22 AM »
(a)Yes, I had to go through several to find one that was comfortable, but THEY ALL retained my lower teeth perfectly. I actually have to wear it 24 hours/daily, so I'm not sure if night wear only would have been different? Unfortunately, I haven't worn anything on my upper for many years, and I definitely should have at least at night! My upper teeth are still perfectly straight, but stuff definitely shifted even though it's not visible. I found a bunch of my old upper retainers and appliances, and not one of them fits. Too tight.

(b)An appliance was what messed up my bite to begin with (it was the Twin Block, upper and lower) so I can't comment on the open bite issue. After this initial mess up, my bite hasn't gotten worse, though.

(c)I had to go through several doctors and several brands/types of appliances to find one that was comfortable. The one I have now is the ONLY one I've found to be satisfactory. Actually, it's completely fine where the others were torture. I just wear it on my lower teeth, to give me a bite after the Twin Block whoops, and I seems to be an acrylic type material. It's not weak like an Essix as I can eat in mine (dried mangoes, etc.). It wraps around both the front and back of my lower teeth, but only covers the tops of my molars. It does NOT cover the tops of my front, lower teeth.

I have an appointment to have a new one made in November. If you want me to ask the doctor any questions, let me know.

Take care :)

molestrip

• Private
Re: Splints
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 10:57:50 PM »
Been wearing one since early teens, about 20 years now. Keeps teeth in place however I have more crowding now than I used to. How? No idea. I also have an open bite that developed a few years after using the night guard. My dentist claims they're unconnected. He could be right.