Author Topic: Almost 14 months post genioplasty. Can't move bottom lip properly  (Read 3583 times)

newchin

Is there no hope of regaining lower lip movement at this point? I look weird when I smile or talk. It's like my lower lip can't pull down anymore. I can't show my bottom teeth and look like a demented shih tzu when I try

Questioning_Options

Re: Almost 14 months post genioplasty. Can't move bottom lip properly
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 03:17:29 AM »
I'll bump this up so someone who has some useful advice might see it. I don't know the answer, but, as someone considering this procedure, reports like this could be intimidating.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 05:52:30 AM »
At this point the swelling must be gone so unfortunately sounds like nerve damage.  That really sucks

Maybe some kind of physio? Might be able to train alternative muscles? I don't really know...

I had some nerve damage after my chin lipo but regained full movement in about 3-4 months

newchin

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 09:05:24 AM »
It's awful because the very outer edges of my bottom lip love down but the middle part is just stuck. Looks like an upside down smile :(

PloskoPlus

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 06:43:45 PM »
Trying to regain your nerves back- quickly- is pretty hopeless. This goes with any and all surgery, btw.  My aunt had her bunions removed and it totally f**ked up the nerves/sensations and she couldn't feel anything properly in her toe for a good 4 years. That was almost 7 years ago?  But now it's gotten a lot better and says it's 90% back to "normal".  She didn't see a random ass doc either- he's good at what he does. 

It might take a long time to regain sensation or mobility.  It just sucks and it's unpredictable sometimes.  I honestly would try a more forgiving approach.  Have you ever considered acupuncture? If it works- great, if not- you've lost nothing in trying.  I've heard of a lot of success stories of those that have had strokes and gone this route.

I doubt she regained any feeling.  The brain adjusts after a while, that's all.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 07:08:21 PM »
you know who does the surgery makes such a big difference. i had two hernia operations.

first one the nurse told "oh you're lucky you're getting dr. x he's amazing." So dr. x did my first one, beautiful, no scar even and perfect gain of feeling on that side. Next day I needed the other side done, dr. x had to be away so dr. y filled in, also a hernia surgery expert (there's a special place in Canada where surgeons do only hernia operations, it's famous) and dr. y, huge scar and i still have a bit of tingling loss of feeling in that area, but like nothing crazy, no one cares if there's like two cm of tingly/loss of sensation on their lower abdomen. But I think it goes to show you surgeons, even both experts in their field, can be quite different.

ditterbo

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 08:41:42 PM »
OP, your issue sounds really similar to mine.  If you look carefully in the pic related to my smile, the very center lower lip is tethered up, maybe a little everted.  I had this problem since getting a chin implant 9 months ago.

http://s942.photobucket.com/user/jf776649/embed/slideshow/

How does this compare to your case?

EDIT: I don't mean to compare my case to the OP's any more than specifically how his lower lip is tethered.  I'm curious if his center lower lip has a similar deformity to mine. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 07:09:40 AM by ditterbo »

newchin

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 02:27:10 PM »
OP, your issue sounds really similar to mine.  If you look carefully in the pic related to my smile, the very center lower lip is tethered up, maybe a little everted.  I had this problem since getting a chin implant 9 months ago.

http://s942.photobucket.com/user/jf776649/embed/slideshow/

How does this compare to your case?

EDIT: I don't mean to compare my case to the OP's any more than specifically how his lower lip is tethered.  I'm curious if his center lower lip has a similar deformity to mine.

Pretty much but mines a bit more apparent unfortunately for me. I tried lip fillers in my lower lip since it also went pretty thin and turned inward. Made some difference but I want a permanent fix and to have functionality back not just aesthetics