Author Topic: How to get insurance for my surgery  (Read 953 times)

adolphus

How to get insurance for my surgery
« on: December 14, 2015, 03:17:39 PM »
I have a moderate to severe under bite and have had braces when i was a teen. My orthodontist told me that I would need orthognathic surgery to correct it as braces alone wouldn't be enough. As a teen my parents were low income so i had Peach Care for Kids(Georgia's Medicaid program in the early 2000s) and after meeting with a maxiofacial surgeon my insurance originally declined my procedure but my surgeon contacted the insurance company and expressed to them that this was medically necessary and i would have life long problems if i didnt do it so they relented and approved my surgery(which would have bee $27,000 in 2005). I didnt end up doing the surgery because the down time would have taken too long from school. Im 27 now and have noticed that my jaw is cracking and is sore at times so Im pretty sure that I need to do this surgery. My main question is that if I apply for insurance how will I know if my surgery will be covered and will they even cover me since its a preexisting condition? I am just curious about what information I should gather before I move ahead. Thanks for any answers.