Before/After Photos > Overbites

Weighing up surgery or not

(1/5) > >>

DC77:
Hi all I am a 39 year old male, with very crooked teeth top and bottom and an overbite of 12mm and overjet of 5mm. I have been told the only way to treat my teeth issues and over bite is with surgery. I recently had a consultation with a surgeon who said he would recommend double jaw surgery, which I was surprised at as I thought it would be just lower. I am concerned about numbness especially because of my age and i have read that with double jaw my nose might be affected?

Sometimes I am bothered about my side profile and then other times it doesnt bother me as much. I have always had issues about the crookedness of my teeth so would really like to put this issue to bed once and for all. But dont want to potentially damage myself unneccessarily.

here are some photos of jaws at rest or with back teeth together, my front teeth show a complete overbite

Your thoughts are appreciated

[attachment deleted by admin]

DC77:
Some more photos, sorry if too many
Also to mention that it would be 3 years of treatment with braces
No cost would be on the NHS (UK)
The thought of numbness and the idea of breaking jaws if not totally necessary seems a strange thing to volunteer for right now. But as I said this has been on my mind for many many years and affected my confidence for a while. Although I have a partner and no complaints!
I have been told that although my teeth are being worn down the gums are not receding too much on the top, (which would be due to the bottom teeth hitting the gums), there is a good chance it may not be a problem.

The surgeon felt that due to the angle (?) the chance of relapse of the jaws after surgery would be low?
He feels that upper jaw would allow me to show more of my teeth when I smile, and he says that upper jaw numbness isnt really something that bothers his patients from his experience.
However there is a lower wisdom tooth right on a nerve in my lower jaw and I think he believes I might have numbness issues in that region after surgery.

I am nearly 40 so the teeth are not loose at the moment anyway. I admit this feels like it is abit vain but I havent met anyone with teeth like mine in my generation!

thanks again

[attachment deleted by admin]

Lazlo:
I would recommend doing surgery. But I would be very careful with which ortohodontist I went with. Your teeth can be corrected without extractions. Find an ortho who does damon braces. You do have a slight overjet but at the same time you don't have much lip support. Listen, think of it this way, assuming you're going to live till 80 at least, do you want the next 40 plus years with a better bight straighter teeth, or are you good the way you are now. It's not gonna make a huge change, but it'll improve things a bit.

kjohnt:
Do it.

DC77:
Hi again long time no post...
Ive just started with fixed metal braces but need to make a decision on whether to camouflage the overbite (including some possible extractions), or to go for the surgery.

if youre still out there kjohnt why do you think go for it, considering the risks i described? Thanks for replies I know I havent been on here in a while

Lazlo what do you mean me not having much lip support? The orthodontist and surgeon are both in the same department at my hospital, im happy so far, though I am only 2 weeks into having braces

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version