Author Topic: What surgery do I need to improve my appearance?  (Read 3688 times)

veryweakjaw

What surgery do I need to improve my appearance?
« on: May 10, 2016, 07:06:21 AM »
Hello guys and girls!

My lower face has been bothering me for quite some time. I have a big head, but I feel like my jaw(both upper and lower) stopped growing prematurely. I find the lack of vertical length the most disturbing. My chin also looks pretty weak as you can see. Also, I wouldn't mind if my jaw(both lower and upper) was more protruding forward.

So what bothers me: short head, weak chin/jaw, overall recessed looking. I know that the bodyfat is not helping at all, yeah. I am not slim, I am about 250 so I figure that ruins my non-existent facial aesthetics even more lol.

What surgeries would I need in your opinion? Chin implants, or any kind of implants are totally out of question. I am against that idea big time. I am for more 'natural' ways, like using your own bone, which hopefully is permanent, while an implant is just, there, for a while...it's not your body. Anyway... what are your suggestions guys?

I was thinking of some kind of osteotomy, which lengthens the ramus(I hope I got that correct) and also moves the jaw forward. So like moving the whole jaw, upper and lower, down and forward, if that's even possible. But that's just an idea. I also saw a few threads here about chin wing osteotomy, I feel that could defo help with my looks too. But I am completely open to your suggestions!

[attachment deleted by admin]

thinkingme

Re: What surgery do I need to improve my appearance?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 07:44:20 AM »
ur lower jaw good i think but ur maxilla seem recessed. Its hard to say something when u have no xray. U have real body fat hide ur good jaw. I think u dont need big surgeries. U already have forward growth. im have not so much body fat but look my jaw and chin http://imgim.com/img_20151129_180115.jpg. And some doctors still refuse me for surgery and tbh u have not real issue for surgery.

and Ur chin is not weak ''imposible weak''

JayJaw

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 07:55:04 AM »
You don't have weak jaws. You definitely don't have a weak chin. You don't need jaw surgery and I cannot see any surgeon thinking it'd be a good idea. Just lose weight and you will get more jaw definition.

veryweakjaw

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 08:18:16 AM »
So that pic wasn't the best, it makes me look better than I actually look. Here are two more pics to further demonstrate my point.Maybe my chin isn't weak per se, my biggest issue is my vertical length, or the lack thereof. On the second pic I tried to show you my jawline, marked with red. I find my face annoyingly short, my jaw looks like it was stuck in an anvil. My main goal is facial lengthening. And first poster makes a good point, I sometimes feel that my upper jaw is a little receded. But I was biting my lip in the photo in the OP, tho.

Anyway, my biggest issue/concern is the fact that my face is too damn short, it looks like an effin block, which would be ok if I would have the lower face to go with it. So what are your suggestions to lengthen my lower third of the face? I don't feel that a chin genioplasty would be enough.

thinkingme

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 09:53:44 AM »
Everything is fine just u have body fat i think. Ur face is like ideal behind body fat

veryweakjaw

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 10:04:04 AM »
Everything is fine just u have body fat i think. Ur face is like ideal behind body fat

Hahahaha that was a good one bro. I wish that was the case, but thanks for the vote of confidence anyway!

I browsed your thread btw and you would definitely benefit from some kind of surgery, don't know which type tho since I am a noob.

thinkingme

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 10:23:52 AM »
Hahahaha that was a good one bro. I wish that was the case, but thanks for the vote of confidence anyway!

I browsed your thread btw and you would definitely benefit from some kind of surgery, don't know which type tho since I am a noob.
I think same but orthos dont agree. cuz i have good bite. And Im honest. Just try give some fat. I have a lot of guy like u they were like perfect after giving weight.

veryweakjaw

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 11:40:17 AM »
Well I've been leaner before, and that doesn't change things that much. My face is still too short, lean or chubby.

Seriously guys, can you tell me what type of surgery would help me? I am thinking either a sliding chin genioplasty or a chin wing surgery. All I want is to increase my facial height, that is all. By at least an inch, that would be great. I don't mind if I end up with a protruding chin or whatnot.

http://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php?topic=5290.0 something like what this guy did. Although I am not sure what downgrafting is. But if someone here could tell me what exactly do I need to do to achieve my goal, well that would be great.

It's not like I am insecure about myself and I am asking people here if I look good or not. It's more like I am not satisfied with how I look, and I want to change that. And I need your help with that guys.

thinkingme

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 12:05:10 PM »
Down grafting mean cw rotation of ur mandible and maxilla downing(i dont know how many mm posible. There will be space when healing ur bones its like ur upper jaw be free) I dont think ur face short but u can discuss this with a maxfac surgeon or good ortho.

Rikenen

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 03:13:56 AM »
Pretty hard to tell what's going on when you only post side profiles in dodgy lighting.

I'd imagine you have a short maxilla and also your nose is upturned.

Downgrafting is breaking your upper jaw and moving it downwards, then putting bone into the space left behind and securing the jaw in it's new position with plates and screws.

This is reserved for patients with maxillas that are underdeveloped in the vertical dimension, and usually this is established (in the clinical sense) by seeing how much incisor show the patient has at rest amongst other factors. I get a sense that your maxilla is short just from those pics but cannot be 100% sure.

TLDR - post a pic of you smiling, a pic with your mouth hanging open and a neutral shot where you are biting together on your back molars.

Or get a cephalogram taken and post it up here.

veryweakjaw

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 12:31:48 PM »
Pretty hard to tell what's going on when you only post side profiles in dodgy lighting.

I'd imagine you have a short maxilla and also your nose is upturned.

Downgrafting is breaking your upper jaw and moving it downwards, then putting bone into the space left behind and securing the jaw in it's new position with plates and screws.

This is reserved for patients with maxillas that are underdeveloped in the vertical dimension, and usually this is established (in the clinical sense) by seeing how much incisor show the patient has at rest amongst other factors. I get a sense that your maxilla is short just from those pics but cannot be 100% sure.

TLDR - post a pic of you smiling, a pic with your mouth hanging open and a neutral shot where you are biting together on your back molars.

Or get a cephalogram taken and post it up here.

Thanks for the constructive answer!

I think you are 100% spot on, my maxilla is short. The problem is, that I am worried the fact that my mandible is short as well.

In the second picture my mouth is open a little, and in the pic in the OP it's shut, neutral. But I can take a few better shots. The smiling one should be from the profile or from the front? I have an ugly smile btw, which further proves the point that my lower face is fckd up.

My face is very underdeveloped vertically, so I think I would benefit from downgrafting. I have only 2 problems with that method: if they break the maxilla and move it down, what happens to the mandible? My maxilla has no free space to go down, unless the mandible is going down too. And in any case, I think both should be lengthened, but I don't know if that is possible. And the second thing: the bone is taken from me, or from a donor? I would very much prefer the second option, I am not comfortable of the idea of having my bones shaved here and there.

So all in all I will try and take some better shots ASAP. In the meantime I would appreciate it if you could enlighten me a little, because as you can see I am a little confused about this. I want to talk to a doctor, but I would need to know a little more about this stuff before doing that.My goal is to get at least an inch length added to my face. As of now, the only methods I know of which can help with this are: downgrafting, chin wing osteotomy and sliding genioplasty.

thinkingme

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 02:28:08 PM »

I think you are 100% spot on, my maxilla is short. The problem is, that I am worried the fact that my mandible is short as well.

In the second picture my mouth is open a little, and in the pic in the OP it's shut, neutral. But I can take a few better shots. The smiling one should be from the profile or from the front? I have an ugly smile btw, which further proves the point that my lower face is fckd up.

My face is very underdeveloped vertically, so I think I would benefit from downgrafting. I have only 2 problems with that method: if they break the maxilla and move it down, what happens to the mandible? My maxilla has no free space to go down, unless the mandible is going down too. And in any case, I think both should be lengthened, but I don't know if that is possible. And the second thing: the bone is taken from me, or from a donor? I would very much prefer the second option, I am not comfortable of the idea of having my bones shaved here and there.

So all in all I will try and take some better shots ASAP. In the meantime I would appreciate it if you could enlighten me a little, because as you can see I am a little confused about this. I want to talk to a doctor, but I would need to know a little more about this stuff before doing that.My goal is to get at least an inch length added to my face. As of now, the only methods I know of which can help with this are: downgrafting, chin wing osteotomy and sliding genioplasty.

Ok i will say this u dont need surgery imo. But ill answer ur questions.

They can lengthen ur face with double jaw surgery. but u must discuss this with a jaw surgeon or ortho. Or u must get ceph Because its very hard to see ur bones. And u can find a lot of case which has short face and lengthening it.

strongjawman

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 02:21:12 AM »
Go to the gym, eat healthy, lose body fat and stop all this nonsense about surgery. You're deluded.

Rikenen

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 02:27:32 AM »

If your maxilla is coming down the mandible and chin will both have to come with it most likely - so you'll get 3 proceedures in one.
As for 'donor bone' I have no idea, that sounds unnecessary considering they can just harvest from the hip - you are going to be knocked out for the whole thing so it's not as if you'll care.

And no - you should've spoken to a maxfac first rather than consult this board. A maxfac will tell you honestly what he sees in person, in 'motion' if you will - which can't be conveyed easily by pictures alone.

Go to an ortho, say you dont like your smile and face and ask them to refer you to a maxfac.