Author Topic: 7-8mm horizontal advancement / increase in projection excessive?  (Read 4459 times)

improvedchin

7-8mm horizontal advancement / increase in projection excessive?
« on: September 04, 2016, 10:23:47 PM »
So I had a sliding genioplasty that advanced me around 7-8mm. I have never undergone jaw surgery before. I was wondering if having just my chin horizontally advanced 7-8mm (increasing projection) is considered too much. Anyone have any information on this?

Lazlo

• Private
Re: 7-8mm horizontal advancement / increase in projection excessive?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 10:29:03 PM »
So I had a sliding genioplasty that advanced me around 7-8mm. I have never undergone jaw surgery before. I was wondering if having just my chin horizontally advanced 7-8mm (increasing projection) is considered too much. Anyone have any information on this?

not at all bro, i had double jaw surgeyr and my chin advanced 9mm! IN my books there is no too much when it comes to lower jaw advancement lol! You're gonna be fine. My chin is totally fine and looks great. I actually wish mine were made a little longer in vertical height too, might get that done in a second procedure.

improvedchin

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 10:51:06 PM »
Oh wow, was the 9mm advancement the total amount advanced from both the jaw surgery and genioplasty or was it 9mm advancement for each procedure individually?

By the way, have you had any of your hardware removed?

trojans101

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 12:29:17 AM »
hey op,

random question. how long has it been since surgery? and how do things feel? did your smile change? lips?

ive been thinking about an SG for over 7 years... im scared. but feel like i need to do it.

thanks!

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 12:37:15 AM »
Oh wow, was the 9mm advancement the total amount advanced from both the jaw surgery and genioplasty or was it 9mm advancement for each procedure individually?

By the way, have you had any of your hardware removed?

nope just the genio was 9mm

slidinggenio

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 05:25:58 AM »
nope just the genio was 9mm

nice nice. That is what I'm looking to get right now or bbso + smaller sg

needadvancement

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 01:01:15 PM »

You already had it done? Then we'll need pictures to fully judge(block out eyes etc.). One may need a big SG advancement due to a recessed lower jaw while others risk a "witch chin". Depends on the person. Personally I regret not having had a way bigger advancement on my genio but it wasn't quite possible for a number of reasons.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 04:40:05 PM »
You already had it done? Then we'll need pictures to fully judge(block out eyes etc.). One may need a big SG advancement due to a recessed lower jaw while others risk a "witch chin". Depends on the person. Personally I regret not having had a way bigger advancement on my genio but it wasn't quite possible for a number of reasons.

i have literally NEVER heard anyone complain they were advanced "too much" almost always f**k i wish i had had more of a genio with that bsso

needadvancement

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 05:13:00 PM »
i have literally NEVER heard anyone complain they were advanced "too much" almost always f**k i wish i had had more of a genio with that bsso

There was one guy on here a while back, but yes every other case of too much are complaints from women who feel that their chins have become too manly.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 09:12:25 PM »
There was one guy on here a while back, but yes every other case of too much are complaints from women who feel that their chins have become too manly.

right, and they are wrong.

improvedchin

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 12:29:24 PM »
I had a very recessed chin. It was hard to tell if it was my entire jaw or just the chin, but I'm guessing primarily the chin with the jaw mildly recessed, seeing as how great of an improvement just 7-8mm of chin advancement was able to yield. From the frontal view, I had a very droopy appearance at the corners of my lips, as though I was frowning or something with my lips. Surgery corrected this dramatically, but I still wouldn't mind more upturned corner of my lips. As far as my smile goes, it's hard to tell how much of it has changed.

Has anyone here either know of anyone or has experienced nonunion? Or a case of where the chin relapsed after plate / screws removal?

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 01:46:52 PM »
I had a very recessed chin. It was hard to tell if it was my entire jaw or just the chin, but I'm guessing primarily the chin with the jaw mildly recessed, seeing as how great of an improvement just 7-8mm of chin advancement was able to yield. From the frontal view, I had a very droopy appearance at the corners of my lips, as though I was frowning or something with my lips. Surgery corrected this dramatically, but I still wouldn't mind more upturned corner of my lips. As far as my smile goes, it's hard to tell how much of it has changed.

Has anyone here either know of anyone or has experienced nonunion? Or a case of where the chin relapsed after plate / screws removal?

dude you can't have plates or screws removed till a year after surgery and by then there won't be any relapse.

improvedchin

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 01:56:35 PM »
Oh my procedure was around 2 years ago. Just trying to find a date for hardware removal.

I still have a bump / step off at the back part of my chin, along my jawline. Does this mean my bones have not fully fused and that there is still a chance of relapse?

slidinggenio

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 05:07:19 AM »
Oh my procedure was around 2 years ago. Just trying to find a date for hardware removal.

I still have a bump / step off at the back part of my chin, along my jawline. Does this mean my bones have not fully fused and that there is still a chance of relapse?

I think if there was going to be a relapse it would be early on.