Author Topic: Advice on Jaw Surgery? (pics inside)  (Read 2774 times)

Jayyy123

Advice on Jaw Surgery? (pics inside)
« on: January 05, 2017, 07:12:45 PM »
I would really appreciate some feedback on what should be done for my jaws. As you can tell from the pics, I have recessed jaws and slight assymetry with my lower jaw. What would be the best course of action and do you guys think I'm a good candidate for jaw surgery? I'm mostly happy with my front profile and am worried that jaw surgery might make it worse while improving my side profile.

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 06:11:08 PM by Jayyy123 »

Vic

Re: Advice on Jaw Surgery? (pics inside)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 11:37:13 AM »
Jaw surgery will change your front 100%, but like all surgeries whether the end result is good or bad depends on how good your surgeon is. If your bite is good, then, a sliding genio to move the chin forward and add a bit of height and width will provide an amazing result. I can do you a morph if you want

Jayyy123

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 11:50:39 AM »
Yeah If you could do a morph that would be cool!

Vic

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 12:12:01 PM »
I'm not the best at morphs, but see what you think

[attachment deleted by admin]

Jayyy123

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 05:52:57 PM »
Thanks for doing this :).

I'm not super knowledgeable but from what I can tell and from what my orthodontist has told me I could definitely use a bimax surgery to advance my jaws. However, I think I would want/need CCW rotation to get desirable results but would I be able to get that? I get the impression that only certain people are suitable for CCW rotation due to impaction/gummy smiles(?? sorry if I'm not making sense. I also don't have a gummy smile). Also, is CCW rotation a common method or do most surgeons not do that?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 06:10:45 PM »
Thanks for doing this :).

I'm not super knowledgeable but from what I can tell and from what my orthodontist has told me I could definitely use a bimax surgery to advance my jaws. However, I think I would want/need CCW rotation to get desirable results but would I be able to get that? I get the impression that only certain people are suitable for CCW rotation due to impaction/gummy smiles(?? sorry if I'm not making sense. I also don't have a gummy smile). Also, is CCW rotation a common method or do most surgeons not do that?
You can do CCW with posterior down graft of the maxilla if your jaws are steep. Yours don't appear to be. If you have no functional issues, just grow a beard

Jayyy123

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 06:24:07 PM »
I do have a blocked airway and some snoring issues, so functionally speaking there is a reason I guess although I don't currently suffer from sleep apnea (yet).

When you say "steep jaws" do you mean pointing towards the ground and less horizontal? And do they have to be steep for a posterior downgraft to work?

Thanks

PloskoPlus

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 06:24:57 PM »
I do have a blocked airway and some snoring issues, so functionally speaking there is a reason I guess although I don't currently suffer from sleep apnea (yet).

When you say "steep jaws" do you mean pointing towards the ground and less horizontal? And do they have to be steep for a posterior downgraft to work?

Thanks
Yes.

Jayyy123

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 08:11:00 PM »
Ah ok thank you. I do think my jaws are steep to some extent. Maybe this picture doesn't show it well or my posture isn't good, idk.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 08:21:07 PM »
Ah ok thank you. I do think my jaws are steep to some extent. Maybe this picture doesn't show it well or my posture isn't good, idk.
You would need a lateral ceph to determine this. Your orthodontist should already have one. But there is also the issue of having a  correct posture when it's taken.

asphyxia

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 07:44:14 AM »
How would you augment the jaw angles ?