Author Topic: Back from my consult  (Read 1862 times)

anona_mz

Back from my consult
« on: January 26, 2017, 02:42:02 PM »
Hey guys! I just got back from my vacay/ consult with Dr. Gunson. I have some good news to report, I feel as if I hit the jackpot as Dr. G said I was a rare case of his and will only need upper jaw surgery!! Yay! I have to say it was very intimidating at first, because they asked me a bunch of questions and in my head I wasn't really sure if I really needed jaw surgery at this point. However once all the X-rays and pics were taken, Dr. G had assessed me with what I felt was wrong with me from the very beginning. He said I had a small, recessed upper jaw. He said because of that I have a natural cross bite which has been camouflaged by orthodontics. I also have a class III bite. Not only that, but my teeth have been compensated to the point where my molars are tilted so much, the roots aren't even in the bone. Scary thought. Anyways, he wants me to get braces again to bring the teeth upright back into the bone, and bring my bottom from teeth back down and forward since they've been elongated to compensate for an open bite. He said my bottom jaw looks good in regards to size, position so he won't need to touch it. However he is recommending a SG since he said he wants to give it more projection. I am on the fence about that, since I don't really think I need it but I don't want to regret not doing it later on.
Anyways, just wanted to let you folks know how my assessment went and I'm sooooo glad I took the trip to visit him. His office staff are the BEST! And although I didn't get to ask much questions during the consult since my BF insisted on accompanying me and he asked a bunch of dumb questions, I still left highly satisfied. Honestly when I sat in the room with the group and he gave his assessment I really was choked up. Because there it was, all my problems layed out for my doubting BF to see and believe for himself. It felt good having an expert tell me in front of my BF everything that was wrong since my BF thought it was just an obsession and I really didn't need it. Well guess what, nobody really needs any surgery but for the sake of quality of life we do it. We work for a better quality of life, we buy things for a better quality of life. If not we just roll over and die. This is not a boob job or purely cosmetic it's functional, and who cares if its extreme and I should just live with it. I don't want to, it's ruined the better part of my life already, I just want it fixed. Sorry for the vent session, you all are the only people who possibly know how I feel.

The Quest for Aesthetics

Re: Back from my consult
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 02:53:28 PM »
It's great to hear that he really paid attention to the details of your case. I'm extremely worried that Gunson will try to take control of my case and ignore the quite experimental and precise outcome that I want to achieve (I have a consultation with him in June). Essentially I feel that if he doesn't agree with the aesthetic outcome that I want, he won't sanction it. Did you get this impression from him at all when consulting with him? Do you feel as if he would let the patient take control as to the final outcome aesthetically, if the patient is forthright about that? I'm more of a borderline case and I don't want to appear as bodily dysmorphic or obsessive, but at the same time I have a clear vision as to what I want to achieve.

anona_mz

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 03:53:35 PM »
Dr. G and his staff are outstanding and asked me a lot of questions. I truly feel they have the patients best interest at heart, and do a very detailed and thorough exam. After all the measurements are taken, along with pictures and X-rays, you sit down with Dr. G and his staff and he goes over his assessment with you. During his assessment he specifically asked me "what do you want from this?". I briefly mentioned bringing down my upper jaw for more tooth show and he agreed although I'm not sure it will be part of the procedure. He threw in a SG into my treatment plan which is still up in the air since I don't think I'll need it, but might go ahead with it since I don't want to regret it later. I didn't get to ask all the questions that I wanted to but that was my fault as the staff was very patient and I did not feel rushed one bit. I just wanted to get out of there because i was so happy. Lol. I highly suggest going into the consult by yourself so you can ask the questions that you really want to. Although if the surgical outcome you wish to achieve is to risky I don't think any reputable surgeon would go forward with it.

Forgot to mention that I will require a 4 piece Lefort I (I believe it's what it is) which scares me since it's probably the most risky. How common is this?

anona_mz

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 04:06:13 PM »
Sorry I feel as if I didn't answer your question in my last rely. But yes, I do get the impression that he will take into account the final outcome desired by the patient. But that is just my opinion. It probably would be wiser to ask someone who has actually gone through with the surgery with him. I will not get to have surgery until around this time next year. For personal and financial reasons.

Milli_Meters

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 04:49:51 AM »
Hi! How long were you in line since  your initial application for a consult? Thanks.

jawregret

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 05:00:46 AM »
Hi! How long were you in line since  your initial application for a consult? Thanks.

I recently made an appointment with Dr. Gunson and the wait time is 6 months.

Milli_Meters

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 07:45:53 AM »
Thank you. Are you from USA?

jawregret

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 07:51:24 AM »
Thank you. Are you from USA?

Nope, Canada.