Author Topic: Recovery must haves?  (Read 1333 times)

CAjaw

Recovery must haves?
« on: November 23, 2013, 11:38:37 AM »
My surgery is a week from Tuesday and i'm getting pretty nervous. If you have already been through surgery, what were some of the things you felt were really helpful in getting through the recovery period? Is there anything I should be going out and buying (humidifier, special pillows, etc)? I'm having surgery on the upper and lower, so I know to expect some sinus drainage/trouble breathing. Is it really bad, or manageable?

Tiny

• Private
Re: Recovery must haves?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 12:16:23 PM »
I've not had jaw surgery but I have broken my nose and had a rhino

1) probiotics, strong ones!
2) senna.  Pain drugs slow everything down
3) something to make you sleep.  I take a supplement called Z-12 but different strokes for different folks.  Maybe your doc will prescribe ambien.  Not being able to breathe/sleep was the worst part of recovery by far
4) mouthwash.  But I plan to avoid carbs as much as possible after I have my surgery
5) saline nasal spray
6) otrivine decongestant spray.   I used this after both my original nose break and the rhino...doc told me not to and at first I was good but after 3 or 4 nights of no sleep I caved.  Don't think it did too much harm
7) DVDs
8) yellow concealer to cover any bruising

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 03:12:04 PM »
ive heard a lot of people talk abotu special pillows too. anyone have pics of those? oh and i heard your lips get really dry so lots of vaseline for the lips. this is a helpful thread.

CAjaw

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 03:17:05 PM »
This blog has some pics of special pillows. Scroll down to the 4th post on the page.
http://aimeesfunkyjaw.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2009-03-30T11:04:00-07:00&max-results=7&start=35&by-date=false

ive heard a lot of people talk abotu special pillows too. anyone have pics of those? oh and i heard your lips get really dry so lots of vaseline for the lips. this is a helpful thread.