Author Topic: Do not go to a Doctor named Eric Kim @ Irvine Oral Surgery  (Read 9638 times)

jaw.surgery.girl.2011

Do not go to a Doctor named Eric Kim @ Irvine Oral Surgery
« on: November 27, 2013, 10:13:32 AM »
I had orthognathic upper and lower surgery with this doctor, and he ruined me. I had a mild underbite and no other problems. However, he left me with a severe cant (my upper jaw slants down on one side) and my chin is obviously curved to the left AND I am completely numb on my bottom right lip and chin, which makes my mouth move awkwardly when I speak or smile. The part that is numb doesnt move so my mouth is asymmetric. Also, if i were to lift up my chin, my chin slants far down to the right. I REALLLY REGRET having surgery with this doctor. He used to work at Kaiser, but he said he was doing too many surgeries, which he was getting tired of, and he can make so much more money opening his own practice, so he did at Premiere Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery of Orange County 4980 Barranca Pkwy, and he works withe Dr. Blair Ota. I dont have any experience with Dr. Blair Ota, but DO NOT GO TO Dr. Eric Kim

He is really good at talking about how he knows the latest technology, etc... but beware he is using his patients as experiments for the computer assisted jaw surgery. He even personally told me that he was unhappy with how his patients were turning out and the computer was giving the wrong measurements, but I trusted him because he told me he would use both his judgement and the computer assisted technology and because my orthodontist referred him. Well come to find out, the ortho didnt have any experience with this guy, and I was referred to him because Dr. Relle who is a great surgeon left Kaiser. As for Dr. Eric Kim, II became one of his experimental patients with the computer laser program, and he left me more of a mess than before the surgery. I am trying to fight to get the surgery done again but not with him of course.

PLEASE do your research!

Lazlo

• Private
Re: Do not go to a Doctor named Eric Kim @ Irvine Oral Surgery
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 11:48:22 AM »
sorry to hear about your experience. you're doing us all a great service my alerting us to the work of doctors who don't care and produce sloppy results. i honestly hope and pray your get your surgery redone at no cost and come out happy with your results. god bless.

pekay

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 05:54:06 PM »
Most people end up with a numb lower lip and chin so that is not really his fault.

No idea about the rest though, unlucky situation.  :(
Chopsticks > Spoons

ahwang

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 02:32:49 PM »
I actually went to the same doctor and had a totally different experience. I've lived with braces for a total of 7 years. I got them on in 4th grade and in 10th grade my orthodontist said the only way to fix my underbite was through surgery. I watched a horrifying youtube video of the surgery and decided I'd rather live life with an underbite, especially since he recommended i go to Korea to get it done. A few years later, during my retainer check, my orthodontist rediscussed with me the possibility of getting jaw surgery. He said there's this doctor in Irvine who has done many of his patients and that I should meet with him. I was tired of getting bugged about my underbite by my parents, peers, and relatives that I decided I had nothing to lose. I met with Dr. Eric Kim and he turned out to be the nicest, most caring doctor I have ever gone to. The more he told me about the operation, the more comfortable i became with the idea of getting it done. I actually started off with a pretty mild underbite as well and my surgery results couldn't be any better. I had no numbness what so ever within the first few hours of waking up (most people don't believe me, but it's the truth). I got pretty swollen, but that's normal for jaw surgery and frankly I think I looked pretty darn cute with my chipmunk cheeks. He sent me get well flowers and a teddy bear and called making sure I was okay frequently. I was in vegas having the time of my life 3 weeks post op. The recovery period was so much easier and shorter than I expected and the results were better than i could've imagined. Even though I had to deal with braces for my entire second year in college, I don't regret it one bit. I wouldn't recommend going to any other surgeon and now that i'm 5 months post operation I am living life with a new face, new smile, and a huge boost in my confidence.

joesun

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 10:13:57 AM »
ahwang, do you work for Dr. Kim? Your story sounds bullcrap or maybe he treats Korean patients better....

jaw.surgery.girl.2011

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 07:07:45 PM »
Uh Yeah. ahwang. Good try. >:(    You sound like you work for Dr. Kim.... He might be a good dentist, but he is a HORRIBLE MAXIOFACIAL SURGEON.

PEOPLE BEWARE. I am still suffering the consequences.... the numbness continues. One side of my lips does not move making me look like I was a stroke victim.  The cant (slanting of my jaw) is absolutely horrific. A botch job that Dr. Eric Kim did.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 09:09:45 AM »
Thank you for making people aware of your surgeon, it's incredibly important that botched cases come forward and speak up.

Sorry you had to go through it though. Are you seeking a revision?

westerndigital

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 02:14:49 PM »
Does anyone else have experience with Dr. Kim? To me he seems great and is very well reviewed. Not a lot of options where I'm at. Any other surgeons in the Southern California region that come recommended? Thanks.

chinnychinchin

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 06:23:07 PM »
Does anyone else have experience with Dr. Kim? To me he seems great and is very well reviewed. Not a lot of options where I'm at. Any other surgeons in the Southern California region that come recommended? Thanks.

Not alot of options? You're extremely lucky to be in the SoCal region. It's the Silicon Valley of jaw surgery. Arnett & Gunson should be your first choice.