Author Topic: Is this guy emphasising too much? modern melting faces  (Read 5967 times)

orthoo

Is this guy emphasising too much? modern melting faces
« on: December 09, 2013, 11:39:53 AM »
Mike Mew BDS, MSc — Craniofacial Dystrophy: Modern Melting Faces
He emphasises alot about correct oral posture and correct forward growth affects health dramatically

Ben

Re: Is this guy emphasising too much? modern melting faces
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 03:35:18 PM »
Mike Mew BDS, MSc ? Craniofacial Dystrophy: Modern Melting Faces
He emphasises alot about correct oral posture and correct forward growth affects health dramatically

I'd say he's pretty accurate but I think to he shouldn't close any doors. I think that there are so many factors that need to be considered, we could potentially be making so many mistakes with how we are living that could be negatively impacting on how health/development. That was an awesome lecture though, thanks for sharing the link. (I edited this to comment to avoid being to narrow in view)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 04:49:05 PM by Ben »

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 08:49:56 PM »
yeah i've brought up weston price several times. it's the only way to go....

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 03:39:00 AM »
i dont think diet plays a huge role in terms of facial shape.

Agree - I think it's strongly genetic.  My bone structure and much of the soft tissue is literally identical to my fathers with the exception of smaller nose and stronger cheekbones

Maybe we just have s**ttier genes than we used to.  There's certainly a lot less evolutionary selective pressure

orthoo

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 05:46:01 AM »
Apparently child's face is determined by: the parents face shape and the way in which the jaws grow in. the factors which determine adverse facial growth is based on 1)oral posture 2) muscle usage 3) swallowing pattern and orthodontic treatment such as braces which restrict forward jaw growth. So in other words everyone on this forum I suppose is affected.

notrain

• Private
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 10:37:17 AM »
it's probably human nature to look for a deeper meaning / causes than there actually are. nobody likes to hear that they drew the short end of the genetic straw. FWIW i think that environment is largely irrelevant. sure, if you get braces and extractions early on in your childhood, that is going to f**k you up. but that's hardly environmental.

orthoo

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 12:45:54 PM »
it's probably human nature to look for a deeper meaning / causes than there actually are. nobody likes to hear that they drew the short end of the genetic straw. FWIW i think that environment is largely irrelevant. sure, if you get braces and extractions early on in your childhood, that is going to f**k you up. but that's hardly environmental.
.   I think more environment than genetic tbh. If you start to realise and understand what shapes the face it's all down to the tongue at the end of the day it's quite abstract. Correct swallowing exerts pressure on the palate to widen it and stimulate forward growth of the jaws. The more the maxilla expands the more pronounced and wider the cheekbones, the wider the nasal cavity, the larger the airway. In natural form the lower jaw follows the top jaw. The face is strongly wide compact and horizontal growing. When your tongue is not stimulating the palate from a lowered tongue posture, the top jaw isn't stimulated to grow outwards and forwards so it grows vertically and elongates becoming narrow and long. The nasal cavity is narrow, steep plane jaw angle remodels creating a anti gonial notch (the opposite of a strong developed ramus) due to the pushing mandible back into the air away from maxillary 'overgrowth'. Cheekbones don't develop and the nose appears larger as the jaws aren't forward enough. The whole face is dragged down and damaged. So two very different faces at the end of the day. It's been proven with identical twins apparently. I might forget braces and just focus on my oral posture and correcting my swallowing like I should've done in the first place

notrain

• Private
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 01:13:18 PM »
maybe. all i can say is that i asked both a surgeon and an ortho about _my_ situation (pretty severely recessed mandible, recessed profile) and they both said i didn't have any hint of an adverse growth pattern whatsoever. i also never had bad oral habits as a child as far as i can remember. i also had very good nutrition (home cooked meals from a stay at home mom) and sleep as a kid.

HOWEVER:

my dad's side is class 1 but retrognathic profile and fat in the chin area

my mom's side is the class 2 skeleton crew

i ended up with: double chin of peace and class 2 skeleton.

but if it brings you inner peace, then by all means, perfect your oral habits.

orthoo

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 03:36:28 AM »
I can see everyone has their own opinions, but the reason I say this is there is cold hard evidence to support this theory, it's suddenly dawned on me, people have seen first hand, my nephew has had double jaw at 16. When he was a child he had a good broad face, healthy looking kid. At age 12 he complained of a bloked nose; I don't know why maybe allergies, he started breathing through his mouth and within a Matter of 6months had crowding and forward head posture followed by a narrow long face.  I'm certain it caused it or maybe it was a matter of coincidence. I guess the most facial growth occurs around that age which may have exaggerated it. I've talked to a surgeon and ent before both saying that oral posture does play a role but I'm sure it's more of the cause of the adverse growth. If you have a child peg there nose And I can guarantee you will see gross change.  Also whats quite interesting is industrial town residents have on average 4mm vertical maxillary excess according to western price. Someone should research on more of the cause but let's end it there

notrain

• Private
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 08:27:48 AM »
The phrase beating a dead horse comes to mind.

Who really gives a s**t anyway? Unless OP is posting this to help us screen our kids for signs of abnormal growth, it serves no purpose. The past is the past, play the hand you were dealt henceforth.

ACK. I'd rather spend my time researching ways to FIX my current situation the best way possible than mulling over thing I cannot change anyway. My kid(s), should I ever have any, will see a maxfax surgeon who does DO when they are around 12 years old and that's that.