Author Topic: Re: Nose Widening (when smiling)  (Read 5749 times)

CheezyGuy913

Re: Nose Widening (when smiling)
« on: July 02, 2012, 10:35:53 PM »
I've noticed a little widening (as well as tipping up). I actually like it - before the surgery I  would sometimes flare my nostrils on purpose in pictures because I thought my nose looked too 'thin' (like there was the tip of the nose with no semblance of nostrils at all) from straight on. That was probably my own silly preoccupation though. I will add this, I broke my nose in high school, and the asymmetry of my nostrils is a bit more exaggerated now post-op. So if your nose has any mild/moderate asymmetry it could further exaggerate that. I know in a lot of the before/after photo's doctors post there is rhinoplasty done also. I'd guess a lot of it depends on how much movement on the upper jaw and the initial width of your nostrils.

stevek216

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 03:21:46 PM »
Here's something I just thought of, my nose now looks like my nose did before when I was smiling.  Smiling like widens the nose I guess, so if you want a really rough preview, smile.

DolphinBite

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 09:15:30 AM »
My surgeon said that my nose would widen and tip up a little and that the widening would be exaggerated the first few months until the swelling went down. He said that since my upper palate is widening, and therefore my face is going to be wider, that it was good to have my nose widen a little since it would look strange to have a thin nose in a wide face. My nose, as it is now, is really small.

I have to admit that I'm a little nervous about this. I've always liked my nose, but if having a wider nose means having a healthy, pain-free bite, then it will be worth it.

DolphinBite

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 07:31:46 AM »
I will ask about the alar stitch! Thanks for the tip.

stevek216

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 06:02:37 PM »
No, my nose wasn't touched.

CK

• Private
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 02:56:07 AM »
i was told explicitly by gunson that when the upper jaw is moved forward in a traditional fashion, it can expand the nose. one of the benefits - he says - of counter-clockwise rotation is that it effectively eliminates any chance of the nose expanding or blowing up. however, looking at some before/after of people who have experienced CCW seem to have significantly widen noses.

http://ars.els-cdn.com/content/image/1-s2.0-S0278239111006033-gr7.jpg

http://ars.sciencedirect.com/content/image/1-s2.0-S027823910900514X-gr4.jpg

maybe it depends on the surgeon? it seems the expansion appears more obvious in the nostrils, the nasal bridge doesn't look like it's affected much. maybe because it is more bony? i don't know.

Jack

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 07:29:13 AM »
who is the surgeon in the above two examples CK? Was it Gunson/Arnett?

CK

• Private
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 10:45:05 AM »
who is the surgeon in the above two examples CK? Was it Gunson/Arnett?

no, wasn't them.

ExcitablePancakes

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 02:24:33 PM »
http://amazingfaces.com/gallery.php?ID=33

What about this girl? I don't see a major difference in her front profile, while her side profile actually looks slightly objectively better to me, even..

I've seen plenty of cases, especially the more noticeable/extreme, where they had more convex/downturned/bumpier noses beforehand that looked hawkish and had more upturned, smooth-bridged noses afterwards.

How exactly would a recessed jaw make one's nose more like this?

http://www.reynoldsoralfacial.com/media/pdf/oral-surgery-before-after-gallery.pdf Look at these, even. A quick google search brings me to this site, and I only glanced at the first girl, even if it's Prognathism rather than Retrognathism.. Scroll down, there's someone with a recessed jaw here and there and the difference is seen in their case as well. There's often a major difference in their nose, going from a broken/convex nose to a more upturned nose..

ExcitablePancakes

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 02:41:32 PM »
Well, I figured that was just a gimmicky name.. So, the reality is much worse in the sense that in most cases it actually makes your nose worse? I'd hope not, I'd have to thoroughly discuss the possibilities with whoever need be..

ExcitablePancakes

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 07:48:37 PM »
Well, would you be able to speak with your surgeon/orthodontist about having any minor aesthetic issues stemming from the surgery corrected? Or is that not part of the deal? I would mostly be worried about flaring nasal wings, mine are not exactly large but neither are they particularly compressed.. lol

I doubt that tipping up slightly would change my nose or face in any substantial manner, but I think my nasal base would be disproportionately wide for a long and thin bridge on a long, narrow face. I'd most likely opt to correct that if possible.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 10:00:35 PM »

What about this girl? I don't see a major difference in her front profile, while her side profile actually looks slightly objectively better to me, even..

I've seen plenty of cases, especially the more noticeable/extreme, where they had more convex/downturned/bumpier noses beforehand that looked hawkish and had more upturned, smooth-bridged noses afterwards.

http://www.reynoldsoralfacial.com/media/pdf/oral-surgery-before-after-gallery.pdf Look at these, even. A quick google search brings me to this site, and I only glanced at the first girl, even if it's Prognathism rather than Retrognathism.. Scroll down, there's someone with a recessed jaw here and there and the difference is seen in their case as well. There's often a major difference in their nose, going from a broken/convex nose to a more upturned nose..

This surgeon is horrible --notice the strong degree of chin asymmetry in nearly everyone of his outcome patients(indeed the asymmetry may have existed before hand), shouldn't this have been fixed post surgery? Not so amazing in my view.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 10:11:27 PM »

just want to add i was commenting on the asymmetry in the patients in the first link. Also, the "reynolds" examples are nearly all irrelevant since if you read their summaries they've all had rhinoplasties or septoplasties(same thing). And I should add they have all had HORRIBLE rhinoplasties --they key indicator here is what is called "alar base retraction" --that is, their nostrils, due to the poor draping of skin after the shaving of the bone, have retracted significantly from their coumnella --this will only worsen with time and their noses will look pinched and freakish, they will all end up looking pinched with droopy tips. A rhinoplasty is a very, very risky operation and unless you only have a very minor problem (example a bit of a bump) there are only maybe 2 or 3 surgeons in the world who can give you anything approximating a "good" result with any degree of predictability.

ExcitablePancakes

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 10:12:23 PM »

This surgeon is horrible --notice the strong degree of chin asymmetry in nearly everyone of his outcome patients(indeed the asymmetry may have existed before hand), shouldn't this have been fixed post surgery? Not so amazing in my view.
Which one? There're two links. I can see maybe one or two in the first link whose chin/jaw region from the front profile looks a bit off on one side, but most of them look the same from what they originally were, slightly asymmetrical or not, to me.. I think I'm going to end up choosing a terrible surgeon..  :'( lol

x

• Private
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 10:16:20 PM »

just want to add i was commenting on the asymmetry in the patients in the first link. Also, the "reynolds" examples are nearly all irrelevant since if you read their summaries they've all had rhinoplasties or septoplasties(same thing). And I should add they have all had HORRIBLE rhinoplasties --they key indicator here is what is called "alar base retraction" --that is, their nostrils, due to the poor draping of skin after the shaving of the bone, have retracted significantly from their coumnella --this will only worsen with time and their noses will look pinched and freakish, they will all end up looking pinched with droopy tips. A rhinoplasty is a very, very risky operation and unless you only have a very minor problem (example a bit of a bump) there are only maybe 2 or 3 surgeons in the world who can give you anything approximating a "good" result with any degree of predictability.
Know anything about nasal humps? I read in some offhanded article that they could be the result of a retruded maxillary but haven't seen it anywhere else, nor do I know if it's something that would 'autocorrect' when the maxillary is brought forward.