Author Topic: Time for a thread dedicated to the Chin Wing Osteotomy?  (Read 82264 times)

BlueShark7

Re: Time for a thread dedicated to the Chin Wing Osteotomy?
« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2014, 03:08:40 PM »
I would say so.

My main concern is how all this stuff actually heals. Whether it'll have a natural feel to the touch, or if it'll be an odd step-off.

kinda what I was wondering too, like if there's a downward movement with the segment, do they need to graft or idoes it just kind of bridge together. Are you going ahead with it disillusioned?

timang

« Reply #106 on: August 10, 2014, 08:12:46 AM »
My main concern is how all this stuff actually heals. Whether it'll have a natural feel to the touch, or if it'll be an odd step-off.

Someone should ask this and post here what the surgeon said. This interests me as well.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2014, 06:03:11 PM »
are there no real before and after pics of this procedure!!?? i.e. chin-wing osteotomy. would like to see some of zygomatic advancement as well!

PloskoPlus

« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2014, 07:36:06 PM »
are there no real before and after pics of this procedure!!?? i.e. chin-wing osteotomy. would like to see some of zygomatic advancement as well!

I think there were papers full of chin wings  on Dr Z's site at some point.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2014, 12:37:52 AM »
I think there were papers full of chin wings  on Dr Z's site at some point.

Plus some on various German sites. Triaca also has papers showing results.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

Vic

« Reply #110 on: December 11, 2014, 04:46:04 PM »
Do you need to have a good sized rams to have a chin wing?

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #111 on: December 11, 2014, 07:30:56 PM »
Stop asking these questions here since OBVIOUSLY no one has had one yet. We need someone who has had one oterwise kill this thread.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #112 on: December 11, 2014, 08:22:51 PM »
Stop asking these questions here since OBVIOUSLY no one has had one yet. We need someone who has had one oterwise kill this thread.

3 people here have had it.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2014, 10:32:02 PM »
3 people here have had it.

Then please encourage them to post here. Surely they can at least post their jawlines without giving away their identity!

jaws

« Reply #114 on: June 14, 2015, 05:51:50 AM »
I wonder why chin wing isn't more common. It seems that only two or three surgeons do these on a weekly basis. I read that Gunson dislikes this procedure. Why do think that is? The risk of relapse might be high.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #115 on: June 14, 2015, 12:41:58 PM »
I wonder why chin wing isn't more common. It seems that only two or three surgeons do these on a weekly basis. I read that Gunson dislikes this procedure. Why do think that is? The risk of relapse might be high.

Where did you read this?

Another American surgeon told me that dropping the ramus in a chin wing is not very stable due to the very strong masseter muscles pulling things back.

jaws

« Reply #116 on: June 14, 2015, 09:17:58 PM »
Where did you read this?

Another American surgeon told me that dropping the ramus in a chin wing is not very stable due to the very strong masseter muscles pulling things back.
Unfortunately I don't remember which forum it was.

Chin wing is like the first real alternative to jaw implants and seems technically easy to do. There must be reasons why so few surgeons do it. It was introduced in 2009 and that is a long time ago.

swisser

« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2015, 03:31:04 AM »
While it might be technically easy I think it needs a lot of experience to get it right.

I've been told that more and more surgeons in Europe are using it. I'm seeing Dr. T again next month so I could ask him.

(Yes, I've had a chin wing a few weeks ago and no, you won't get any pictures. Pretty happy with the result and recovery was a breeze.)

PloskoPlus

« Reply #118 on: June 15, 2015, 04:31:57 AM »
Unfortunately I don't remember which forum it was.

Chin wing is like the first real alternative to jaw implants and seems technically easy to do. There must be reasons why so few surgeons do it. It was introduced in 2009 and that is a long time ago.

6 years is nothing in medical terms.

FWIW, CCW is decades old, yet many surgeons don't do it.  Ditto for high level mid face osteotomies.  Ditto for BSSO advancements over 10 mm.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #119 on: June 15, 2015, 04:33:18 AM »
While it might be technically easy I think it needs a lot of experience to get it right.

I've been told that more and more surgeons in Europe are using it. I'm seeing Dr. T again next month so I could ask him.

(Yes, I've had a chin wing a few weeks ago and no, you won't get any pictures. Pretty happy with the result and recovery was a breeze.)

Do you have any numbness?  Was a bone graft from your hip used?  How long till the swelling became unnoticeable to others?