Author Topic: Time for a thread dedicated to the Chin Wing Osteotomy?  (Read 82265 times)

Optimistic

• I am class I
Re: Time for a thread dedicated to the Chin Wing Osteotomy?
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2013, 04:06:09 AM »
thanks to both applejuice and weakjawbrah for explaining this further --and sorry for calling you weakjawclown, i was feeling irritable...

hope you guys are at least having a good holiday merry x-mas, kwanza, hannukah or whatever....   :   )

lol that's fine bro, merry Christmas to you too.

The Chin Wing Osteotomy really is a game changer for my plan. It can do everything I wanted to do in my 'extreme jaw surgery plan' or whatever I called it, where it was an IVRO + BSSO + + + . I just can't believe I never properly looked into this before... probably because it's so obscure.

For what it's worth I might as well tell you that I've e-mailed my ortho and explicitly asked for a referral to see Profilo.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2013, 04:50:43 AM »
This forum is killing my will to live.  Previously I thought my lower jaw was alright, now I think that my mandible is too steep.  So perhaps a mandible setback is not such a bad idea in the big scheme of things (would make the steepness less obvious)... Or I SHOULD GET THE CHIN WING OSTEOTOMY!  Does Coceancig do these?

overbiter

« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2013, 01:30:07 PM »
http://pyramide.ch/docs/Journal_fuer_Aesthetische_Chirurgie_Januar_2013.pdf

This guy had an amazing result. He went from looking weird to being pretty respectable. His jawline is almost ideal now.

With the facial appearance he had before surgery it would be surprising if he had been bullied at school, been ostracized by his peers all his life etc. Now he probably has a whole new life. This surgery is so powerful.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2013, 02:53:14 PM »
WJB, can you ask MM
- how the chin wing is combined with a BSSO? (as in, how is it done? how do they cut it and pin it? Guess they do the BSSO and then make the chin wing cut)
- how this way of lengthening a ramus is stable given that other ways (such as ramus BSSO) are not?
- what the healing is like given that this is a lot of cutting!!??

This procedure would allow me to avoid upper surgery (provided that I can get enough decomp).  From what I've seen, ONLY implants or this give good improvements in the jaw angle areas for those of us with either short ramus or steep angles.  However...it looks like a pretty brutal surgery

MrRochester

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2013, 10:22:10 AM »
Anyone have a list of surgeons who offer chin wing? So far I only know of three: Triaca, Zarrinbal, and Mommaerts. Are there any others?

applejuice

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2013, 10:32:19 AM »
There are many others in germany, but they dont advertise it aggressively and/or call it differently.

MrRochester

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2013, 10:54:59 AM »
There are many others in germany, but they dont advertise it aggressively and/or call it differently.

Any names you know by chance please? I am German/American and have spent my life between the two countries.

Also, why is there not a single UK or American surgeon offering it? It really does give me pause.

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2013, 02:29:01 PM »
WJB, can you ask MM
- how the chin wing is combined with a BSSO? (as in, how is it done? how do they cut it and pin it? Guess they do the BSSO and then make the chin wing cut)
- how this way of lengthening a ramus is stable given that other ways (such as ramus BSSO) are not?

This procedure would allow me to avoid upper surgery (provided that I can get enough decomp).  From what I've seen, ONLY implants or this give good improvements in the jaw angle areas for those of us with either short ramus or steep angles.  However...it looks like a pretty brutal surgery

A chin wing is basically a form of sliding genioplasty. It is inherently stable because you are not affecting the bite or playing around with the forces on the TMJ. That's my understanding of it anyways.

notrain

• Private
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2013, 02:45:31 PM »

i asked the same question during my consult. they don't combine it. if you see something like "bsso + chin wing" in those pdf files, it means two separate procedures. they usually do the chin wing when they remove the metal from the bsso/bimax.
see what dantheman wrote. chin wing = genio deluxe with jaw angle design
it is fairly tame. 3-4 weeks soft food diet, not much numbness. if they take a bone graft from the hip, you shouldn't walk too much for a week.

why would it allow you to avoid upper jaw surgery? do you mean because you would need rotation? because the chin wing does nothing to advance the maxilla.... i am confused. also, the surgery is less brutal than bsso or lefort, i don't really understand what makes you think otherwise.

applejuice

« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2013, 03:21:32 PM »
i asked the same question during my consult. they don't combine it. if you see something like "bsso + chin wing" in those pdf files, it means two separate procedures. they usually do the chin wing when they remove the metal from the bsso/bimax.

Chin Wing and lower jaw surgery can be combined in one surgery if the surgeon doesnt use the usual Obwegeser / Dal Pont osteotomy but the Schloessmann osteotomy (aka Bad Homburg method).
The cut is higher and thus doesnt interfere with the chin wing surgery. Zarrinbal for example does it this way.

notrain

• Private
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2013, 04:18:30 PM »
i didn't know that, that's interesting for sure!

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2013, 05:57:54 PM »
Chin Wing and lower jaw surgery can be combined in one surgery if the surgeon doesnt use the usual Obwegeser / Dal Pont osteotomy but the Schloessmann osteotomy (aka Bad Homburg method).
The cut is higher and thus doesnt interfere with the chin wing surgery. Zarrinbal for example does it this way.

Wouldn't it make more sense then to just get DO to advance the mandible, and a chin wing at a later stage after that? Then you'd avoid some metal in youth mouth, and get natural advancement, with all the added benefits of a widened jawline.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

applejuice

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2013, 04:00:02 AM »
Do you even know what DO is? There is "more metal in your mouth". With an osteotomy you get a planned result instantly. And what the f**k is more natural? Were do you get this bulls**t from?

DO is only worth it in rare cases like micrognathia, teenager therapy etc.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2013, 04:06:41 AM »
Do you even know what DO is? There is "more metal in your mouth". With an osteotomy you get a planned result instantly. And what the f**k is more natural? Were do you get this bulls**t from?

DO is only worth it in rare cases like micrognathia, teenager therapy etc.

Ok, perhaps I worded myself poorly.

'more metal in your mouth' meaning long term. My understanding is that DO doesn't require screws once the distractor as been removed.

'more natural' meaning that a mandible that has had DO to lengthen it is said to be indistinguishable from a normal jaw, in that no signs of surgery are visible.

---

Is there any reason that you believe DO wouldn't be worth it in a case like mine? If all I needed were advancement of the mandible, sans rotation and all that, then surely a BSSO and DO would just be two different ways to skin a cat.

applejuice

« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2013, 04:36:31 AM »
Ok, perhaps I worded myself poorly.

'more metal in your mouth' meaning long term. My understanding is that DO doesn't require screws once the distractor as been removed.

'more natural' meaning that a mandible that has had DO to lengthen it is said to be indistinguishable from a normal jaw, in that no signs of surgery are visible.

---

Is there any reason that you believe DO wouldn't be worth it in a case like mine? If all I needed were advancement of the mandible, sans rotation and all that, then surely a BSSO and DO would just be two different ways to skin a cat.

Many surgeons remove the screws after 6-12 months anyway.

Do people have x-ray vision and then call you out on your surgery?! The osteotomy gaps also fill in over time.

BSSO and DO have the same outcome for a standard mandibular advancement. But BSSO is so much easier, has better patient comfort, less risk of infection, delivers instant results. There is absolutely no reason to choose DO over BSSO for such a simple surgeries.