Author Topic: Time for a thread dedicated to the Chin Wing Osteotomy?  (Read 82263 times)

applejuice

Re: Time for a thread dedicated to the Chin Wing Osteotomy?
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2013, 05:43:02 AM »
Many surgeons remove the screws after 6-12 months anyway.

Do people have x-ray vision and then call you out on your surgery?! The osteotomy gaps also fill in over time.

BSSO and DO have the same outcome for a standard mandibular advancement. But BSSO is so much easier, has better patient comfort, less risk of infection, delivers instant results. There is absolutely no reason to choose DO over BSSO for such simple surgeries.

overbiter

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2013, 05:55:57 AM »
Many surgeons remove the screws after 6-12 months anyway.

Do people have x-ray vision and then call you out on your surgery?! The osteotomy gaps also fill in over time.

BSSO and DO have the same outcome for a standard mandibular advancement. But BSSO is so much easier, has better patient comfort, less risk of infection, delivers instant results. There is absolutely no reason to choose DO over BSSO for such simple surgeries.

No DO has a lot of benefits. It's kinder to the nerves/soft tissue, and there is less chance of relapse. Because it allows for slow movement, it is possible to grow the bone over time. Therefore larger advancements are possible.

Most surgeons won't advance more than about 6-7mm when they are doing a BSSO. If you have a surgeon who can advance 2-3cm, then there may be no need to use DO. It is still harsher on the soft tissues though.

applejuice

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2013, 06:07:32 AM »
Work on your reading comprehension. I explicitly wrote there is no point in doing a DO for a standard mandibular advancement!!!
It certaintly has it's place but not when the jaw movement isnt like 9-10 mm and there are other individual factors. 6-7 mm as a maximium for BSSO?! Where do you get this bulls**t from?!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 06:28:05 AM by applejuice »

notrain

• Private
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2013, 06:22:22 AM »
the surgeon i spoke to instantly said that he wanted to BSSO my mandible at least by 12mm, because any less would not be worth the effort, pain and recovery. i think DO plays more of a role if you are looking at advancements north of 2cm but unless you look into the mirror and a severly deformed person is staring back, don't bother looking into it.

DO is great for teens though, because you can dynamically advance along the natural growth of their maxilla. for adults, BSSO is the gold standard.

applejuice

« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2013, 06:30:17 AM »
Exactly. Overbiter has obviously not spoken to surgeons and/or done research. He is just talking out of his ass and making things up.

overbiter

« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2013, 08:01:39 AM »
Work on your reading comprehension. I explicitly wrote there is no point in doing a DO for a standard mandibular advancement!!!
It certaintly has it's place but not when the jaw movement isnt like 9-10 mm and there are other individual factors. 6-7 mm as a maximium for BSSO?! Where do you get this bulls**t from?!

So you're obviously a troll username for some other retard, but never mind. The point I am making is that just because BSSO advancements of 12-15mm get bandied about on this forum it does not mean that these are standard advancements. Most surgeons don't have the skill to achieve large movements in one surgery. The average jaw surgeon would consider an advancement of 1cm to be huge. That's why they often do big genioplastys at the same time. It's easier to move the chin than the jaw.

applejuice

« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2013, 09:25:19 AM »

Most surgeons won't advance more than about 6-7mm when they are doing a BSSO.
That's simply false. 6-7 mm is no problem for MOST surgeons.

If you have a surgeon who can advance 2-3cm, then there may be no need to use DO.
That's also false. 2-3 cm (=micrognathia like i told you) is an advancement that's not reasonable possible with osteotomy and a case were DO is necessary.

Insulting me doesnt make your statements true. You seem to be a very angry and ignorant person.

overbiter

« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2013, 10:44:07 AM »
Insulting me doesnt make your statements true. You seem to be a very angry and ignorant person.

Lol, you're just hilarious.

That's also false. 2-3 cm (=micrognathia like i told you) is an advancement that's not reasonable possible with osteotomy and a case were DO is necessary.

You haven't even read the posts on this board, have you? Other people are having osteotomies of this magnitude, Snackan for example. It is possible to advance this much just using rigid fixation techniques, but it's at the extreme end of the scale. Like I said before most jaw surgeries are relatively small movements to fix bite problems. Most jaw surgeons have no experience of doing large movements for people just because they want a new face. You might not like this but it is the truth.

applejuice

« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2013, 11:14:44 AM »
Lol, you're just hilarious.

You haven't even read the posts on this board, have you? Other people are having osteotomies of this magnitude, Snackan for example. It is possible to advance this much just using rigid fixation techniques, but it's at the extreme end of the scale. Like I said before most jaw surgeries are relatively small movements to fix bite problems. Most jaw surgeons have no experience of doing large movements for people just because they want a new face. You might not like this but it is the truth.
Obviously you havent read Snackan's thread. He had a CONSULT not a surgery with Gunson. The 28mm movement of the pog doesnt equal to the same enlongation of the lower jaw, which is MUCH less.
BSSO Advancements of ~10 mm are rare since most people dont have such extreme jaw malpositions. But they are no problem for most maxfac surgeons.

But how should you know?

I don't have any x-rays/cephs, I'm not even sure what a ceph is really.

Well maybe start educating yourself before you spill bulls**t non stop.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 11:27:32 AM by applejuice »

MrRochester

« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2013, 05:36:23 PM »
Can chin wing give the chin a squarer more masculine appearance? My chin is long, recessed, and round.

Jol

« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2014, 04:08:33 AM »
But BSSO is so much easier, has better patient comfort, less risk of infection, delivers instant results. There is absolutely no reason to choose DO over BSSO for such a simple surgeries.

What? Can you please explain how BSSO is easier, has better patient comfort and less risk of infection??? I would say completely the reverse. Maybe DO has more infection risk from where the distractors exit, still, certainly DO is also less risky in terms of nerve damage.

applejuice

« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2014, 04:41:41 AM »
BSSO = surgery and you are done, doesnt get easier
DO = surgery to cut the mandible and place the distractor; distractor placed in mouth for weeks (=discomfort, risk of infection), removal of distractor

And now please stop the DO discussion or start another thread. This thread is about Chin Wing Osteotomy and not about DO pipe dreams.

Jol

« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2014, 05:15:37 PM »
pipe dreams

"pipe dreams" huh?

BSSO is a much bigger operation, with more risk, you only get one shot at the result, and I suspect a lot more patient discomfort.

sean89

« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2014, 09:04:45 AM »
Another surgeon that does the chin wing osteotomy can be found here:

http://www.klinikum.uni-heidelberg.de/Willkommen.118273.0.html

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2014, 07:38:52 PM »
Another surgeon that does the chin wing osteotomy can be found here:

http://www.klinikum.uni-heidelberg.de/Willkommen.118273.0.html

Where did you find that? I tried quickly looking around the website and found no mention of a Chin-Wing Osteotomie.

01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.