Author Topic: Korean jaw surgery  (Read 1427 times)

Purkulator

Korean jaw surgery
« on: January 15, 2014, 01:50:19 AM »
I was wondering is there anythin different in korean jaw surgery than the normal jaw surgery? Their website seems to show different techniques and how lots of facial features can be correct from it like concave profile, long chin etc...
I am wondering are korean jaw surgery more aesthetically minded and can then produce better aesthetic results? Or is double jaw surgery just double jaw surgery and they are just trying to make it sound fancy?

I also wonder what surgeons would say about their techniques like v line surgery which they claim to have invented to slim down the face

geijutsu

Re: Korean jaw surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 02:36:15 AM »
My understanding is that Koreans are very focused on aesthetics. Most do the "surgery first" approach, in which they position the jaws first then follow it with orthodontics, rather than the traditional method where you have to wear braces prior to the surgery. That and it appears that the other variations of jaw surgery cuts seem to be common there.

petebite

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 04:11:12 AM »
I have been reading a few academic journals and there is a very strong bias towards the surgery first approach. They claim that the results are as good as (if not better than) traditional orthodontics either side of surgery. Most of the articles are reports from Korean surgeons and appear to be unofficially published (i.e. I would imagine not peer-reviewed) so I don't know how meaningful these claims are.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 04:26:12 AM by petebite »

Purkulator

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 04:15:53 AM »
It makes sense that ortho first approach is most accurate as you remove any possible dental variation that may lead to some inaccuaracies in the surgery...i think the main reason to do surgery first is to just get people comitted and perhaps attract foreigners to do it overseas, nots not really possible to do ortho first if you want surgery in korea. But i mean does anyone think that a korean plastic surgeon would deliver better aesthetic results or western maxillofacial surgeons perform the same thing?