Author Topic: Any good results with methods for posterior intrusion?  (Read 1488 times)

tdawg

• Private
Any good results with methods for posterior intrusion?
« on: July 09, 2012, 01:34:23 AM »

I was contemplating a genioplasty but after taking pictures from a better distance and angle(a more true profile), I realized that my chin is not the problem. My chin and mandible are well developed, they are just being pushed down by my posterior maxilla. My x-ray now makes perfect sense, along with the comments of the surgeons on realself. That is also why I have a big airway despite an aesthetic problem. In addition I now realize why the doctors I consulted with recommended against surgery.

Basically my posterior maxilla grew more than the vertical ramus of my mandible, resulting in an openbite, my central incisors probably overerupted to compensate(resulting in the posterior open bite), and my mandible grew horizontally to compensate as well. My chin development was normal. So if I had just a lefort impaction I would be left with a bit of an underbite skeletally(which as a male I would be willing to accept)

Now I wonder if being that the only problem I really care about at this point is the vertical one in the posterior segment, if a method of intruding the posterior teeth would work, and actually allow my chin point to rotate up and forward.

In theory the logic and mechanics seem sound to me. However it is hard finding cases where this method has been attempted. Most of the ones I have found have been true class 2 attempts, or ones involving extractions. I wonder how it would work on a class1/class 3 without extractions.

neferkitti

• Private
Re: Any good results with methods for posterior intrusion?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 01:50:56 PM »
I was contemplating a genioplasty but after taking pictures from a better distance and angle(a more true profile), I realized that my chin is not the problem. My chin and mandible are well developed, they are just being pushed down by my posterior maxilla. My x-ray now makes perfect sense, along with the comments of the surgeons on realself.
Basically my posterior maxilla grew more than the vertical ramus of my mandible, resulting in an openbite, my central incisors probably overerupted to compensate(resulting in the posterior open bite), and my mandible grew horizontally to compensate as well. My chin development was normal. So if I had just a lefort impaction I would be left with a bit of an underbite skeletally(which as a male I would be willing to accept)
Now I wonder if being that the only problem I really care about at this point is the vertical one in the posterior segment, if a method of intruding the posterior teeth would work, and actually allow my chin point to rotate up and forward.
In theory the logic and mechanics seem sound to me. However it is hard finding cases where this method has been attempted. Most of the ones I have found have been true class 2 attempts, or ones involving extractions. I wonder how it would work on a class1/class 3 without extractions

Hope you don't mind my posting this from your other thread.

Just thinking out loud, so of speak, but I'm wondering if the posterior maxilla were impacted, would the anterior remain put or would that also be impacted? Keep in mind, I really don't know much  ;). Just speaking from personal experience. You mentioned that you're class I and class III. Would you be willing to allow for a slight overbite? I ask because it seems like this would allow for a balancing of the upper arch with the lower and, perhaps, allow for some "un-caging" of the lower arch (allowing for a better forward swing) that posterior impaction might create.

From another photo that you posted and this ceph, your chin looks fairly prominent. You're right, your ceph looks good. What type genio was the cranio surgeon suggesting?