Author Topic: Re: Do our looks determine our personalities?  (Read 11353 times)

neferkitti

• Private
Re: Do our looks determine our personalities?
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2012, 10:38:31 PM »
People can look young for different reasons. Someone might look young because she has clear, taut skin and a healthy complexion. Another person might look young because he has a receding chin and a weak bone structure. The former case is usually good, and the latter is usually bad. That's why I hate when people say, "you'll be thankful you look young when you're older." This isn't true because I look young for all the wrong reasons. If anything, my recessed jaws will cause my face to age much faster.

I understand what you're getting at. A youthful appearance is attributed to many individual characteristics. One of my in-laws has insanely perfect skin for a 37 year old due to great genes, plus a fair amount of red wine, organic veggies and exercise. Most assume she's around twenty, until she opens her mouth, that is. Lol. My step sister has a strong bone structure, but as the years have marched on, those prominent features have given her a harsher, older appearance. There's is zero skin laxity/sagging, but those sharp angles make her appear more mature as she loses facial fat. She's 39. If she had a shorter chin and/or smaller jaw, she would appear far more youthful. Still has very refined skin, so structure plays a big part in her case. I don't know what appeals to the men folk here  :). Perhaps a combo of good skin and reasonable bone structure(s)? Overly strong features can be aging, IMO, although many surgeons tend to think otherwise in terms of skin drape.

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2012, 06:34:04 AM »
That's an interesting point about strong bone structure .   I'd rather look weak than on the harsh side :D

Also I don't know aging people irl with very strong bone structure so I just assume that they look better.

Skin is complicated.  Like with eds its stretchier.  Not simply a good or bad thing.  I want to say its more prone to sagging but we don't get wrinkles as easily.

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2012, 01:18:42 PM »
Eff eff

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2012, 04:11:18 PM »
Yeah being skinny with fat cheeks is cool

I think being fat with fat cheeks is cheating

streo

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2012, 04:24:37 PM »
Whether or not our looks determines our personalities seems to be up for further debate.  However, it seems that scientists have determined that in males, looks affects fertility rates (in chickens that is)!!

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/0907/09070902

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2012, 06:10:40 AM »
I swear they can get rid of turkey neck with lasers now

DolphinBite

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2012, 06:19:09 PM »
Interesting, but I'm not 100% sure i agree. The thing that defines me the most physically is not my face, it is my bright red hair. People always assume things about me - like I have a terrible temper - that aren't at all true. So even though people think I have a 'fiery temper,' I don't. And I haven't developed a bad temper over time. I dunno, I just thing this whole conversation about looks and personality is a bit more complicated.

xo -
B

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2012, 10:25:13 PM »
Stress is a big factor in the aging process. Big sister went through a 2 year period of high stress. She aged about 10+ in that time (drawn, dark circles, deep worry lines, etc). She regained most of her youthfulness, however, when the stressor was removed. I think a good layer facial fat helped.

Agree about eye wrinkles/hollowing. Also think that plenty of sleep, fluids and exercise help reduce this, especially of those aging traits are relatively minor.

I had a lot of stress in college which I think exacerbated my hairloss.  Unfortunately it didn't reverse for me LOL.

CK

• Private
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2012, 11:51:26 PM »
I had a lot of stress in college which I think exacerbated my hairloss.  Unfortunately it didn't reverse for me LOL.

ah that sucks. i would not look very presentable without hair. some people can rock the baldness (picard!) but others...not so much.

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2012, 12:13:17 PM »
i think i read baldness is a sign of high testosterone

streo

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2012, 06:03:59 AM »
So....at work.  I know two very pretty women and one that is not so pretty.  The not so pretty girl has been at the company for 6 years and was senior to the other two.  One pretty girl has been there for about 4 and the other has been there for about 1.  Not so pretty girl is just as sharp and on top of things as the other two, yet the pretty girls have both leap frogged the not so pretty girl in terms of title (which probably translates into more money as well). 

I f**king hate that company!

Jack

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2012, 06:07:17 AM »
So....at work.  I know two very pretty women and one that is not so pretty.  The not so pretty girl has been at the company for 6 years and was senior to the other two.  One pretty girl has been there for about 4 and the other has been there for about 1.  Not so pretty girl is just as sharp and on top of things as the other two, yet the pretty girls have both leap frogged the not so pretty girl in terms of title (which probably translates into more money as well). 

That's interesting. I guess it depends on the type of work. Certainly, all things being equal attractive people have the advantage, you want to be around and be seen with attractive people, it's biological and evolutionary. That said, after the initial advantage the quality of one's work must count for something.

Sharptoys

• Private
    • The Eric Reyes Law Firm
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2012, 06:26:15 AM »

I've always hesitated to attribute differing societal treatment to aesthetics whenever at least some plausible deniability existed, but sometimes the gloved hand or iron first correlates just a little to well with certain aesthetics, whatever they may be.

Obviously, it's not just your company, or anyone particular in it--although I'm sorry to say that I wish it were.  Really, as Jack noted, it's not just the domain of the shallow and unsophisticated; rather, it is a component of human nature, evidenced by varying degrees.

I've found that a little generalized misanthropy at human nature, rather than any particular group or subgroup, is quite helpful.

Jack

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2012, 07:56:38 AM »
Agreed. But I was always like Steve Martin's dictum: "Be so good they can't ignore you."  We're all born with certain propensities, and gifts or at least potential aptitudes. Make the most of what you have, and really, who every truly, truly does that? Even good looking people?

Actually, this topic does raise one interesting idea though, can we really change from being average looking to good looking? For example, I've noticed that people with serious, serious flaws suddenly look much better if they are deformed. But can an average
person go from a 6 to a 9?? There are certain things that I've heard cannot be changed --width or distance between the eyes, which is a big determinant on looks and also the compactness of the midface (distance between pupil and lips) --good looking people have very compact midfaces. I'm not sure orthagnathic surgery affects this at all.

Sharptoys

• Private
    • The Eric Reyes Law Firm
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2012, 12:38:51 PM »
Actually, this topic does raise one interesting idea though, can we really change from being average looking to good looking? For example, I've noticed that people with serious, serious flaws suddenly look much better if they are deformed. But can an average
person go from a 6 to a 9??

I would say it is possible, although significantly more difficult from a planning perspective. The surgical planning for faces that fall into the mild-severe deformity category tends toward the routine. All movements are large, and towards a very specific direction--that is, approximating symmetry and a normal profile. Aesthetic improvement occurs relatively easily in many of these cases, as approaching a normal aesthetic does more than just improve the patients appearance; in a very real sense, it restores some of the patients humanity. We often automatically--and tragically--see the deformed as almost less than human, especially patients who are candidates for major craniofacial reconstruction (Crouzon, Treacher Collins, severe Hemifacial microsomia, ect)

Surgical planning for enhancing a clinically normal face *can* be much more difficult. For one, enhancement is, in many respects, subjective, and the techniques used to achieve it all-the-more-so. It also depends on *why* a patients face is considered not as attractive as others. Is it that the are one or two easily addressed features (nose and ears, for instance) that are blemishing an otherwise model-like face? Or instead, is it that the patient's facial type/shape itself is--for whatever reasons-- considered less attractive, albeit normal, due to specific societal preferences? If it is the former, it is likely that objective, substantial improvement is possible; the latter, not so much.

A fascinating topic, for sure.