Author Topic: Re: Do our looks determine our personalities?  (Read 11352 times)

stevek216

Re: Do our looks determine our personalities?
« on: July 24, 2012, 03:27:34 PM »
Obviously anecdotal, but there was a guy at my school who had basically no chin and he was extremely confident and respected for it.  He was also very intelligent, though, so that could be where his confidence stemmed from.

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 03:43:13 PM »
Obviously anecdotal, but there was a guy at my school who had basically no chin and he was extremely confident and respected for it.  He was also very intelligent, though, so that could be where his confidence stemmed from.

This kinda describes me, although I would say I have a weak chin(or jaw its hard to tell) rather than no chin. I had people tell me I look like a politician/president, it was kinda laughable now that I think about it. I think a lot depends on how you look from the front. As long as you dont have that sucked in lower face look from the front, I think people notice profiles much less than we think they do.

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 04:14:17 PM »
i know it has with me but not others..like big noses for example, i cannot rock a big nose.  in fact it made me more shy and messed up my self esteem as a teenager in particular, being female and all but i have seen other girls totally own theirs with confidence.

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 04:19:41 PM »
good i hate my profile with a passion

Heavyweight

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 04:43:23 PM »

What is an actual 3/4 view? Can you post an example? One thing I have noticed is that almost all angled shots like that that I have seen that look decent, are taken from a lower position than other photos.

Something like this:

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 05:13:26 PM »
The thing is, when I think of somebody and what they look like, I dont think of them in 3/4 view. That view may show off flaws(oddly enough my jaw looks fine in that view, what stands out is my chin and nose), but I dont think people view others as in their 3/4 view.

Like when I think of somebody I know, I always picture them from the front.

Those of you who watch Scrubs should know what I mean. The actor Zach Braff has a pretty weak jaw and big nose. Throughout the show you do seem him in angles that should expose that, but I never noticed it until I saw a profile picture of him.

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 05:39:04 PM »

Also anecdotal, but we met a guy on a hike recently, and he was so incredibly charming and confident even though he had what I would consider profoundly underdeveloped jaws. It might have been his upbringing. Seemed to have a strong bond with his family. Also, it probably helped that he was from a small town in North Carolina and not SoCal  :D.

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 05:47:48 PM »
The thing is the only people who realize his jaw is deformed are usually other people with deformed jaws. Obviously that doesnt apply to severe cases. But I know that I had no clue about mild cases until I myself became concerned about my own situation.

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 05:54:05 PM »
The thing is the only people who realize his jaw is deformed are usually other people with deformed jaws.
Good point. I definitely pay more attention now.

But I know that I had no clue about mild cases until I myself became concerned about my own situation.

I had a mild case that could have been addressed with braces alone, probably not entirely but well enough. Everybody is different but, had I been more aware on my own appearance, I could have avoided the mess I'm in now.  

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 11:50:27 PM »
That would be really cruel!  Lol. 

Yes, I would think so, too, but don't think anyone would do that, at least I hope not. If someone did, however, I suspect the guy could handle it. He had some pretty strong convictions about what was "acceptable" SoCal attire. He's a Marine and the guys in his unit have given him endless hell for the past ten years about his fashion choices, hairstyle, his heavy southern drawl, etc. He told us that he doesn't give a damn what they think. I mean, it's mighty courageous wearing baggy overalls around this town  :D. The guy was a laugh riot.   

stevek216

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 05:23:54 AM »
He's a marine?  That totally explains the confidence.   I'd lend more credence to the military background being the source of his attitude rather than his hometown.  My brother went to West Point (only for a year, but the first year is the one with "BEAST", the boot camp), and they really do a number on you.  It was intense, another guy I knew who went there made it halfway through the summer and came back with a host of mental issues.  (Bragging time, my brother didn't quit, he had a blood disorder that they had to discharge him for.  He made it through the tough part though lol).  Anyhow, their words were that they take the soldiers and tear them down mentally before building them back up.  And it turns out that wasn't a joke.  They have like 5 suicide attempts a year, but if you make it you have quite the reason to be confident.  I imagine the marines are even crazier.

stevek216

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 12:27:01 PM »
Yeah I remember when we dropped my brother off for beast.  Not only was he terrified, we (the families) were given a tour after they took him and we walked by a drill sergeant just absolutely reaming this poor kid out.  From the first day on it was just constant screaming and like 5 hours of sleep a night.  I wouldn't be able to handle it, I know that.  Plus the entire academy is made of gray stone.  It's beautiful but oppressive.  It was funny though, we dropped him off in the morning and that afternoon they let us watch them parade out, heads shaved, perfect posture, etc.  Fast transformation!

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 04:29:41 PM »
Yeah I remember when we dropped my brother off for beast.  Not only was he terrified, we (the families) were given a tour after they took him and we walked by a drill sergeant just absolutely reaming this poor kid out.  From the first day on it was just constant screaming and like 5 hours of sleep a night.  I wouldn't be able to handle it, I know that.  Plus the entire academy is made of gray stone.  It's beautiful but oppressive.  It was funny though, we dropped him off in the morning and that afternoon they let us watch them parade out, heads shaved, perfect posture, etc.  Fast transformation!

One of my closest friend went to WP. He used to traverse those stone walls to keep his climbing skills up. Somehow, I suspect you could take it, no? You seem to have the right disposition.

stevek216

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 05:01:21 PM »
Well I like to flatter myself that I'm tough :P but what I will say is that I would never be brave enough to put myself through it, or get the ball rolling.  Thanks Nef, I think that's worse! ;)

streo

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 07:31:27 PM »
People tend to see what you put out there, so if you want to put yourself out there as a beta because you feel a certain way about how you look, then people will only see a beta.