Author Topic: Re: Do our looks determine our personalities?  (Read 11373 times)

CK

• Private
Re: Do our looks determine our personalities?
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2012, 02:08:59 PM »

please for the love of god stop saying bro!! say anything, call me anything, but don't call me bro, please! call me buddy, call me dude, call me f**ktard, but don't call me bro!

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2012, 02:11:30 PM »

While I like much of what you subscribe to here, unless you're consumming enough high sugared veggies (carrots, beets, sweet potatoes etc), there is that potential to go a little mad if the brain is deprived.

yeah your brain needs glucose. 

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2012, 03:02:19 PM »
Well today I am going to share a story in support for the answer to this question being "sometimes"

The last few days have been hard for me. I just started law school, and I thought that my class was making fun of me behind my back. It turns out they were making fun of some pretentious douche who says random stuff(law school is apparently full of these people). But for a solid day I thought my whole class hated me, and I assumed it had something to do with my mouth.

The point of the story is that if you have an insecurity you are probably going to have some type of social anxiety. And I suspect that even if I get my mouth "fixed" I will still have doubts and bad days related to this.

However most of the time I am a different person. So I would say overall it hasnt changed my personality. It has made me susceptible to shout sprouts of severe depression though.

CK

• Private
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2012, 03:05:49 PM »
Well today I am going to share a story in support for the answer to this question being "sometimes"

The last few days have been hard for me. I just started law school, and I thought that my class was making fun of me behind my back. It turns out they were making fun of some pretentious douche who says random stuff(law school is apparently full of these people). But for a solid day I thought my whole class hated me, and I assumed it had something to do with my mouth.

The point of the story is that if you have an insecurity you are probably going to have some type of social anxiety. And I suspect that even if I get my mouth "fixed" I will still have doubts and bad days related to this.

However most of the time I am a different person. So I would say overall it hasnt changed my personality. It has made me susceptible to shout sprouts of severe depression though.

in my opinion people are paying more attention to themselves than your mouth. just try not to obsess on it i guess would be my advice.

Ducky

« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2012, 06:03:18 PM »
I don't know if it's rude to post other people's videos here - if it is, please tell me and I'll take it down.  I really love this guy's video, though.  I really wish he had more follow-up videos.  Anyways, I think he has a nice perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQo71q5pA4g&list=FL0fp6RsgTeBwV0avXgGt0jg&index=6&feature=plpp_video

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2012, 08:55:39 PM »
I really love this guy's video, though.  I really wish he had more follow-up videos.  Anyways, I think he has a nice perspective.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQo71q5pA4g&list=FL0fp6RsgTeBwV0avXgGt0jg&index=6&feature=plpp_video

Hey, thanks for posting. Is Spencer still documenting his surgeries? He's pretty interesting and fun. Unfortunatley, he hasn't posted an update since last September.

Ducky

« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2012, 10:20:41 PM »
Hey, thanks for posting. Is Spencer still documenting his surgeries? He's pretty interesting and fun. Unfortunatley, he hasn't posted an update since last September.

Not as far as I know, unfortunately. I wish he would have, because it seemed like he was going to have a lot of work done. In any case, I liked his video.

CK

• Private
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2012, 02:31:04 AM »
No, this is from palate expansion surgery, one week post op. He said that it was actually a lot worse. I was surprised by the extent of bruising, especially around that left eye.

Too bad he stopped documenting. His facebook page and blog were never updated either. Wonder what happened. Hope all went well.

his nose really went up - is that just swelling?

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2012, 02:38:47 AM »
his nose really went up - is that just swelling?

Yes, that's just swelling. If he went through with the bimax, I hope his surgeon was mindful of his nose. He had a good one pre-surgery.

x

• Private
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2013, 10:25:27 PM »
Probably. I've been acutely aware enough to recognize how I would be perceived before people even get to know me.

For example, at every job I've worked at I've been perceived as the 'well-intentioned but clumsy goofball kid'. when I screw up, my boss (especially if it's a woman) is more likely to laugh about my incompetence and joke about it then berate me because they find me cute in an endearing way. and I play it up to an extent because it allows me to get off the hook on a lot of things. also most guys assume I'm a stoner, idk why, I smoke recreationally but not daily

I don't know how many people are self-aware of it, but even those who are aware usually fulfill their 'role' to some degree. This all satisfies my worldview of determinism btw.

Is it possible to be a member of this forum and still be religious? I don't see how you can be

Alue

• Private
« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2013, 07:23:05 PM »
Probably. I've been acutely aware enough to recognize how I would be perceived before people even get to know me.

For example, at every job I've worked at I've been perceived as the 'well-intentioned but clumsy goofball kid'. when I screw up, my boss (especially if it's a woman) is more likely to laugh about my incompetence and joke about it then berate me because they find me cute in an endearing way. and I play it up to an extent because it allows me to get off the hook on a lot of things. also most guys assume I'm a stoner, idk why, I smoke recreationally but not daily

I don't know how many people are self-aware of it, but even those who are aware usually fulfill their 'role' to some degree. This all satisfies my worldview of determinism btw.

Is it possible to be a member of this forum and still be religious? I don't see how you can be

Interesting, in the professional world people always seem to have the preconceived idea that I am dumb and inexperienced.  Or that I am just not confident and not suitable for a roll in which I have to interact directly with clients or oversee the operations of others (even though I have worked as an engineer with technicians underneath me).   I have had so many interviews where the employer thinks I look good on paper, the phone interview goes great, but the in person interview is a completely different tone.  It's not everything, but I do think it makes a difference.   

CK

• Private
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2013, 08:12:44 PM »
im kind of the same. i can do well one and one in interviews especially with authority figures because i can prepare and i have an idea of what to expect. social situations where i know absolutely no one can be way more challenging.

Alue

• Private
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2013, 09:44:53 AM »
Well, some of the interviews I was thinking of weren't just one on one.  Had one where I had to give a presentation in front of 6 or 7 other employees from the company, another where they had a lunch scheduled for me with other people from the company rounded up for a meet and greet. 

x

• Private
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2013, 09:50:36 PM »
I've always been a great interviewee, I don't know why cause I rarely even prepare

also I think being masculine-looking as man is a huge advantage, girls would rather take masculine over pretty even if the masculine guy is slightly ugly. I can't count how many times I've heard women say they want "a real man" when referring to looks. perceived sense of dominance or something