Author Topic: Income and attractiveness  (Read 18479 times)

streo

Income and attractiveness
« on: September 11, 2012, 02:39:15 PM »
Slightly different approach to the other thread, but I was just curious to know the communities thoughts on the following graphic from OK Cupid:

http://cdn.okcimg.com/blog/lies/MaleMessageDistributionByIncomeBright.png

x

• Private
Re: Income and attractiveness
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 02:43:26 PM »
IMO, attractive people are more confident, more likely to take risks, etc. on average

So that would explain the discrepancy rather than some sort of bias/discrimination on the employer's part. Also, the income may have influenced the # of messages, so it's not guaranteed the person is more attractive. It could be backwards and the income is resulting in more messages.

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
Most of the people I know who make a lot of money are ugly.

Hellojoe

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 12:35:42 PM »

No one ever said it's impossible to make good money if you're ugly. What's your point?

streo

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 02:23:37 PM »

LOL!

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 07:05:54 PM »
No one ever said it's impossible to make good money if you're ugly. What's your point?

that women on okcupid prefer money to physical attractiveness(assuming the high earning men on OKcupid are also on average less attractive, which is not proven but wouldnt shock me)

Hellojoe

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 03:42:22 AM »
that women on okcupid prefer money to physical attractiveness(assuming the high earning men on OKcupid are also on average less attractive, which is not proven but wouldnt shock me)

Studies show that good-looking people earn more than ugly ones on average. Actually, there are quite clear income-discrepancies between ugly, normal and handsome people, with the ugly ones earning the least, the normal ones earning slightly more and handsome ones earning slightly more than both. If you're interested, there's a bunch of these studies to be found online. This doesn't mean that you are wrong in your assumption that okcupid-women prefer money over attractiveness, though. It's no secret that lots of ridiculously attractive women settle for wealthy, not too good-looking men.

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 06:14:23 PM »
How many attractive homeless people have you ever seen?

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 01:56:16 PM »

This has been my observation, too. There are a couple/few exceptions, of course, but most of my wealthy friends are not particularly attractive. Smart, aggressive and scrappy, yes. A good handful also seem to have some degree of ADHD  :D. Don't know if there is any correlation, but I thought I'd throw that out there.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 12:41:54 PM by neferkitti »

Ducky

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 04:06:41 AM »

What?  No, I don't agree.  No shower, exposure to the elements (probably without sunscreen), poor nutrition, a limited (and dirty?) wardrobe, no make-up - that could do a number on anyone's attractiveness level.  Worry and stress don't put the prettiest expression on a person's face either. 

Ducky

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 04:52:17 AM »
plenty of homeless people don't live outside of public libraries and on the street.

Oh yes, I know!  But for homeless people who don't live on the street, there's no way for me to distinguish them from the rest of the population unless I know them personally, so I could never draw any conclusion about the way they look as a group.  Marisama asked, "how many attractive homeless people have you ever seen?"  The only people I've seen and thought to myself that they're probably homeless have been people who look like they live on the street. 

I totally agree with your other points.

Eroica

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 12:35:22 PM »

Loads.

Hellojoe

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 02:25:45 PM »
The difference in income between ugly, normal-looking and attractive people is not enormous, but large enough to notice a pattern. The greatest difference in income is between ugly and normal-looking and the figures I've seen suggest that the difference is around 10-15%. The difference between normal-looking and attractive people is only around 5% according to some studies, if i recall correctly. This doesn't in any way mean that you won't be able to create wealth if you are less fortunate with your appearance - just like it doesn't mean that attractive people are immune to economic problems and whatnot. Even suggesting things like that is upright ridiculous.

earl25

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 01:24:59 PM »
I think the income discrepancy between ugly and attractive will only grow as time goes on and become more important. Nowadays were bombarded by images of good looking people (for the love of god the beast on that new beauty and the beast show is good looking) . Everything from shows, movies ,commercials etc only feature good looking people.  Also I'm going to get flamed to hell for this but the rise of women ,especially attractive ones in the workplace. granted this is only based on my experience as an ugly man but woman do not like ugly people (either sex) they want nothing to do with them and label them creepy, while becoming best buds with the other good looking people. now who gets the promotion. 

x

• Private
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 01:33:29 PM »
i've said it before but I can get away with acting stupid on the job because female bosses (30+ year olds usually) find me cute (not sexy, very different). male bosses I feel I can get away with a lot less unless I make good friends with them. just my anecdotal experience, so yes looks matter, I didn't read earl's comment as saying only 10/10's will get preferential treatment