Author Topic: Double Jaw Surgery w/ Dr. Arnett 10/4  (Read 77672 times)

Kristen

• Private
Re: Double Jaw Surgery w/ Dr. Arnett 10/4
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2012, 05:23:12 PM »
It seems crazy to me that they discharge patients so soon.   Can you drink anything?

znewton

« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2012, 05:38:44 PM »
It seems crazy to me that they discharge patients so soon.   Can you drink anything?

Yes, I've been drinking things since I got out of recovery in the hospital and into my own room. They wouldn't discharge me unless I could urinate on my own (after the catheter was removed), drink fluids and keep them down, and take a short walk around the ward. I was in surgery from 08:30AM - 2:30PM on Thursday and was discharged Friday around noon. If anything it was great getting to leave the hospital so quickly. I was stable and so far I haven't had any major complications.

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2012, 06:44:26 PM »
Was your upper jaw segmented?  Can you notice a difference in space for you tongue with the added width and advancement?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 07:27:19 PM by Marisama »

znewton

« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2012, 07:26:52 PM »
Was your upper jaw segmented?  Can you notice a difference is space for you tongue with the added width and advancement?

Yes, he did a 3-piece LeFort. It's hard to say because it's all numb, but I'd definitely say it feels bigger.

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2012, 07:36:57 PM »
Have you had any difficulty breathing?  In preparation for post-op breathing issues, I will clench my teeth and plug my nose and try to breath through my mouth.  It is NOT a good feeling.  This is one of my biggest worries about surgery.

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2012, 06:48:45 AM »
Have you had any difficulty breathing?  In preparation for post-op breathing issues, I will clench my teeth and plug my nose and try to breath through my mouth.  It is NOT a good feeling.  This is one of my biggest worries about surgery.

Just tried doing that.... Scary...your right not a good feeling at all.

znewton

« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2012, 09:18:07 AM »
Just tried doing that.... Scary...your right not a good feeling at all.

You will both get used to it. It was a shock at first but the human body adapts rather quickly. Some times I'll find my nose completely clear and will breathe through it and the next hour it's all stopped up and I'll breathe through my mouth. The really frustrating thing about breathing through my mouth is that it ends up drying out my lips that much more than they already are. I've been putting blistex on them 24/7 to try and help with the cracking/dryness.

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2012, 11:43:43 AM »
Did arnett do any work on your septum?  I know he often does if theres an issue since hes already in there...

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2012, 01:26:09 PM »
How's the liquid diet going for you?  Is it as bad as I'm imagining it to be?

znewton

« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2012, 01:45:21 PM »
How's the liquid diet going for you?  Is it as bad as I'm imagining it to be?

I've taken it easy so far because I haven't really had much energy nor much appetite. Thus far I've been surviving off Boost, chocolate milk, apple juice, gatorade, and water. The first two weeks are liquid only & particle free (strained) so I'm just taking it easy. Next Tuesday I should be cleared to start blending stuff up.

CK

• Private
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2012, 09:23:54 PM »
I've taken it easy so far because I haven't really had much energy nor much appetite. Thus far I've been surviving off Boost, chocolate milk, apple juice, gatorade, and water. The first two weeks are liquid only & particle free (strained) so I'm just taking it easy. Next Tuesday I should be cleared to start blending stuff up.

basically lived off chocolate milk during my recovery. sounds like you're doing pretty good. i wouldnt stress on the nose thing. only allowed three shots of affrin i think but in your two week check up gunson has a tool that will suck out anything left in your nose.

i think you're on particles after ~2 weeks of surgery, plus or minus a few days i guess. i tried blending everything and i couldnt stand the taste lol. assistants told me i would get so hungry that i would start blending pizza LOL! actually tried it, tasted AWFUL.

just ate tomato soup and milkshakes every day lol.

question if you can answer: how many bands do you have? did arnett make use of the archwires?

znewton

« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
Thanks for the input guys - I'm just trying to get in what I can for now until I'm cleared to start blending next week.

Right now my main concern is the swelling - apparently Dr. Arnett used a lot of BMP (bone morphogenetic protein) which causes massive swelling of the soft tissue. Without BMP people generally peak anywhere from Day 3-5 (and six in some cases). Their office said it's completely normal that my swelling seems to have peaked as of a day or two ago but has NOT started to subside yet. I'm trying to stay positive - just hoping I won't look like this forever! My face is HUGE. They estimated my swelling at a 7/10 (ten being someone whose eyes are swollen shut).

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2012, 06:24:50 PM »
you cant use a straw for several weeks because of the incisions. i think at least 8 weeks. the constant rinsing helps control and prevent cavities.

trust me, z is going to want carbs. a few weeks of chocolate milk isn't going to kill him. the real issue is flossing. i can only floss maybe 2 or 3 of my bottom teeth, and i still cant floss any of my upper teeth because it hurts so much. i was told i could floss a month ago. flossing with braces is hard enough, jaw surgery makes it 1,000,000 times more challenging.

i do the straw thing now, but you can still get cavities in your back teeth my dentist told me.

Can you use interproximal brushes to clean between teeth?

CK

• Private
« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2012, 06:45:49 PM »
Thanks for the input guys - I'm just trying to get in what I can for now until I'm cleared to start blending next week.

Right now my main concern is the swelling - apparently Dr. Arnett used a lot of BMP (bone morphogenetic protein) which causes massive swelling of the soft tissue. Without BMP people generally peak anywhere from Day 3-5 (and six in some cases). Their office said it's completely normal that my swelling seems to have peaked as of a day or two ago but has NOT started to subside yet. I'm trying to stay positive - just hoping I won't look like this forever! My face is HUGE. They estimated my swelling at a 7/10 (ten being someone whose eyes are swollen shut).

yea i didnt have any BMP and peaked around day 5. the visible swelling eventually goes away but your face still feels very hard? at least for me, pressure in my eyes, cheeks, muscles...always something new each day. maybe avoid the mirror for a bit when you can.

znewton

« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2012, 06:56:25 PM »
yea i didnt have any BMP and peaked around day 5. the visible swelling eventually goes away but your face still feels very hard? at least for me, pressure in my eyes, cheeks, muscles...always something new each day. maybe avoid the mirror for a bit when you can.

Yeah it's hard to do though! I resemble something like a potato head at this point. Hopefully tomorrow is the day!