Author Topic: Double Jaw Surgery w/ Dr. Arnett 10/4  (Read 77691 times)

Heavyweight

Re: Double Jaw Surgery w/ Dr. Arnett 10/4
« Reply #105 on: October 19, 2012, 09:27:56 AM »
I'm not sure about those #'s. You're welcome to see my ceph though to try and figure it out :)

Doesn't look like you had any impaction.

Znewton, did you have any extractions or shaving? I ask because your lower jaw is 3mm smaller than mine and I'm faced with the need for either lower bicuspid extractions or a lot of narrowing.

znewton

« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2012, 09:42:38 AM »
I wonder if I can take a "pre-versed" right when I wake up that morning.  I want that morning to be a complete blur. 

It's not bad at all. I was fairly calm as I knew the day had finally come I had been waiting so long for. The versed will do it's job for you, trust me.

znewton

« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2012, 09:44:25 AM »
Doesn't look like you had any impaction.

Znewton, did you have any extractions or shaving? I ask because your lower jaw is 3mm smaller than mine and I'm faced with the need for either lower bicuspid extractions or a lot of narrowing.

I thought he impacted my upper jaw by at least a few mm because I needed a ton of grafting to fill in the space. I could be mistaken though. In regards to my lower jaw, I was lucky enough to have not had any extractions. Apparently I had a ton of asymmetry (overall - not just in lower jaw) in my lower jaw and he used a bunch of hydroxyapatite to even out my jawline.

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2012, 10:06:15 AM »
I thought he impacted my upper jaw by at least a few mm because I needed a ton of grafting to fill in the space. I could be mistaken though. In regards to my lower jaw, I was lucky enough to have not had any extractions. Apparently I had a ton of asymmetry (overall - not just in lower jaw) in my lower jaw and he used a bunch of hydroxyapatite to even out my jawline.

I have a considerable amount of asymmetry as well.  Our cases are quite similar.  So Arnett added HA along the contour of your shorter side to even things out?  Can you see the grafting on your post-op x-ray.  I'd be interested to see that if you don't mind.

znewton

« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2012, 10:12:51 AM »
I have a considerable amount of asymmetry as well.  Our cases are quite similar.  So Arnett added HA along the contour of your shorter side to even things out?  Can you see the grafting on your post-op x-ray.  I'd be interested to see that if you don't mind.

I'd like to see it as well! They took new x-rays at my visit on Wednesday and I will be able to see them all on Monday. I will be sure to get copies/take pics of everything and will definitely post them up.

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2012, 10:51:58 AM »
Hey zach, did arnett do any work on your septum/did you have a deviated septum or nasal breathing issues before surgery?

znewton

« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2012, 11:33:40 AM »
I'm a bit concerned about my opening, which by my own measurement has to be somewhere between 6-8mm right now. I've only been doing the jaw exercises for two days now but I'm just worried I'll be the exception who has a slipped disc in their joint or some major issue that prevents real opening. He did advance my lower jaw 16.5mm so I'm sure it's going to take awhile. Does anybody have any insight here?

CK

• Private
« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2012, 12:53:54 PM »
I'm a bit concerned about my opening, which by my own measurement has to be somewhere between 6-8mm right now. I've only been doing the jaw exercises for two days now but I'm just worried I'll be the exception who has a slipped disc in their joint or some major issue that prevents real opening. He did advance my lower jaw 16.5mm so I'm sure it's going to take awhile. Does anybody have any insight here?

that's normal. typical is 1-2mm a week.

znewton

« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2012, 07:47:48 PM »
Not the best quality but here's a quick before/after of my bite. The before picture is the only recent one I have of how open it was. I apologize for the terrible camera angle but that's really how my teeth came together if I actually bit down "correctly". I'm going to try and get some of my pictures from Dr. A at my next visit.

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2012, 02:23:47 PM »
Not the best quality but here's a quick before/after of my bite. The before picture is the only recent one I have of how open it was. I apologize for the terrible camera angle but that's really how my teeth came together if I actually bit down "correctly". I'm going to try and get some of my pictures from Dr. A at my next visit.

Damn!  That bite is solid!  I can't wait for that.

znewton

« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2012, 10:52:02 AM »
Hey Everyone!

It's Day 18 and here's my attempt at smiling. The swelling in my cheeks comes up into my eyes when I try to smile making them look small and hollow. It's quite odd.

The swelling continues to come down albeit very slowly. I'm headed up to Santa Barbara for my 3rd follow up appointment in a few hours. Blended diet is going well so far and I'm removing my elastics 3x/day to eat and to perform my jaw exercises. My opening is still very small and I'm hopeful it will start to open up over the next month or two. Can't really complain about much at this point :)

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2012, 03:45:57 PM »
Your swelling has come down a ton!  You must be feeling a lot better.

znewton

« Reply #117 on: October 23, 2012, 03:14:04 PM »
Just wanted to give you all a quick update. Today is Day 19 and I seem to be doing really well.  I had my 3rd post-op appointment yesterday and met with Dr. Gunson because Dr. Arnett was busy teaching at the annual course he holds in Santa Barbara.

Two of the "doors" on my ceramic brackets had broke during surgery which caused the archwire to come loose. Two of my lower incisors were starting to crowd and had moved significantly within the last two weeks. He took some time to fix this by bonding the wire to the actual bracket to prevent any further movement of the teeth.

In addition, my bite is still a tiny bit open on the right. The assistant that was helping me with Lena (didn't catch her name - I think she's new) mentioned it was probably due to my swollen right joint and said not to worry. Dr. Gunson was a bit concerned as my overjet had increased from '0' to '2' since my last appointment. He mentioned that next week when I see Dr. Arnett he will have to remove the bonding from my upper archwire (it was cut prior to surgery and he bonds the brackets together after performing the 3-piece Lefort) and make some adjustments to "pull those teeth down". He didn't seem overly concerned in the slightest and said that I look great.

I was also able to snap some pictures of my x-rays which I've attached for your viewing pleasure below. So far the blended diet is actually going quite well. I just blended up a mexican "bowl" of sorts (rice, sour cream, corn, chicken, refried beans, salsa) and it was AMAZING. I guess I'm getting used to this whole concept of not chewing and just swallowing my food.

Also one huge plus -I noticed that my opening increased today! This was a huge relief as I was convinced I'd be in the small % of patients who end up with major problems getting their opening back. It wasn't a huge increase but large enough to notice that getting the toothbrush in between my upper and lower teeth was much easier today than it's ever been.

It truly amazes me to look at the before and after x-ray. This explains my perfect bite and feeling that I have an entirely new mouth.....because I do! Anyway, here are the pictures.

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #118 on: October 23, 2012, 04:01:37 PM »
The grafting on the contour of your jawline looks great.

CK, slide the photo if you're on an iPhone.

znewton

« Reply #119 on: October 23, 2012, 04:11:53 PM »
The grafting on the contour of your jawline looks great.

CK, slide the photo if you're on an iPhone.

I feel like a complete idiot asking this - but where is it?