Author Topic: preventing nasal tip from upturning?  (Read 1070 times)

nrelax11

• Private
preventing nasal tip from upturning?
« on: March 10, 2014, 07:21:21 PM »
When I saw my surgeon months ago, he had mention a method of preventing the nose from upturning.  He said something about shaving down some bone at the nasal base. Does anyone know what can be done?

PloskoPlus

Re: preventing nasal tip from upturning?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 02:40:47 AM »
When I saw my surgeon months ago, he had mention a method of preventing the nose from upturning.  He said something about shaving down some bone at the nasal base. Does anyone know what can be done?

AFAIK when advancing the upper jaw, the anterior nadal spine is shaved down, if not removed altogether.  I think this also prevents the upper lip from becoming convex.  An alar cinch is used to keep the nostrils from flaring.  However, there is a a trade off.  The nose has to go somewhere, so the alar cinch can cause the nose tip to turn up.  So either flared nostrils, or upturned tip... Or somewhere in between.  A lot depends on the movement. The bigger the movement, the bigger the side effects.  My surgeon told me that advancing by 6 mm will raise my tip by 2mm.  But my tip is a bit droopy and I have a bump on the nose, so it shouldn't be too bad... I hope.

nrelax11

• Private
Re: preventing nasal tip from upturning?
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 07:28:16 AM »
Thank you so much. I figured that could be the only thing that could be shaved down to help with the upturning. I dontthink I'll be having a real big advancement,  but I defiantly dont want my nose to upturn too much. If not in between, I think id rather have a little nasal flare. Although my surgeon said he'll do everything he could to prevent both.