Author Topic: Went ahead and took some pics of my teeth - what do you guys think?  (Read 6109 times)

x

• Private
Bear in mind these were taken with a webcam, so the angles kind of suck and the coloring looks kind of weird. Also, someone else was in the room when I took them so I took them as fast as possible at the expense of proper angles  8)

Some observations:

- open bite, obviously
-because the spacing of the upper and lower jaws are different, the right side of the upper jaw comes down on top of the right side of the lower, while the left side of the upper goes past the lower, and hangs in front of it. I think this is why I have assymmetry on the left and right sides.
-it may be hard to tell from the side shots, but both my upper and lower teeth slant forward, which I think is compensation for both jaws being retruded

What do you guys see? I know these aren't the best photos, given more time I could do better
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 04:23:00 PM by Euphoria »

x

• Private
Re: Went ahead and took some pics of my teeth - what do you guys think?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 04:17:42 PM »
God damn the new Photobucket is terrible

CK

• Private
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 07:05:17 PM »
i dont know if your asymmetry has anything to do with your bite. i mean the areas where you have it. in the immediate jaw area - yeah, but if i recall your jaw is more recessed?

basically, from what i remember of your earlier photos, your asymmetry was more in the soft tissue part of your cheeks right? jaw surgery won't necessarily correct that.

x

• Private
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 08:02:20 PM »
i dont know if your asymmetry has anything to do with your bite. i mean the areas where you have it. in the immediate jaw area - yeah, but if i recall your jaw is more recessed?

basically, from what i remember of your earlier photos, your asymmetry was more in the soft tissue part of your cheeks right? jaw surgery won't necessarily correct that.
If you look closely enough it's in the cheeks, the nose, the eyebrow, the eyes. I have a deviated nasal septum, so it's more than just the cheeks.

I've also got fangs, which I hate  :-[   
but they aren't too big of a deal

CK

• Private
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 08:25:24 PM »
If you look closely enough it's in the cheeks, the nose, the eyebrow, the eyes. I have a deviated nasal septum, so it's more than just the cheeks.

I've also got fangs, which I hate  :-[   
but they aren't too big of a deal

yeah, that doesnt mean jaw surgery is going to correct it.

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 08:28:12 PM »
As you said, open bite, incisor midlines are off, and narrow maxilla.  I like your "fangs" tho, they look good.

x

• Private
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 08:36:09 PM »
yeah, that doesnt mean jaw surgery is going to correct it.
I'm aware, the damage may have been done already during the key stages of growth or it may not be related at all. It's certainly a possibility that it's responsible though, there is a definite correlation and I'll probably get a better idea when I get actual x-rays done

As you said, open bite, incisor midlines are off, and narrow maxilla.  I like your "fangs" tho, they look good.
Is just the maxilla narrow or are both jaws narrow? I wasn't sure about this.

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 08:40:57 PM »
Hard to say without seeing your models but I think just maxilla.  Also, not sure anything can be done to widen the lower arch.  I dont know of any surgeon that segments the mandible (like the upper jaw, to widen) prob because it would really screw with your tmjs.

x

• Private
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 08:46:04 PM »
Hard to say without seeing your models but I think just maxilla.  Also, not sure anything can be done to widen the lower arch.  I dont know of any surgeon that segments the mandible (like the upper jaw, to widen) prob because it would really screw with your tmjs.
So those that have a narrow lower jaw are stuck with it? Bummer, hopefully I don't have it.

I actually think my whole face deviates to one side, I don't know if that's something that jaw surgery alone can correct or not though, or if jaw issues are the cause.

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 09:02:36 PM »
When you get the open bite fixed and your upper teeth overlap your lowers the correct amount, your smile will look wider and less tall if that makes sense.

Not to make this all about A&G but I know their methods better than any other surgeon so here goes.  They will line up your teeth with your soft tissue philtrum as the midline and correct any cants surgically while also fixing the bite and the A/P discrepencies.  They will also use hydroxyapatite to even out an uneven mandible and uneven cheekbones.  While perfection is neverachieved, the improvements are stunning.  Check out the before/afters on their website: www.arnettcourses.com

Heavyweight

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 12:13:05 PM »
Your teeth look a lot like mine, except I don't have an open bite. There's a good chance you'll need two bicuspid extractions in your lower jaw to improve your bite and correct your lip posture. This will also give your surgeon more room to advance your lower jaw.

x

• Private
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 02:08:00 PM »
When you get the open bite fixed and your upper teeth overlap your lowers the correct amount, your smile will look wider and less tall if that makes sense.

Not to make this all about A&G but I know their methods better than any other surgeon so here goes.  They will line up your teeth with your soft tissue philtrum as the midline and correct any cants surgically while also fixing the bite and the A/P discrepencies.  They will also use hydroxyapatite to even out an uneven mandible and uneven cheekbones.  While perfection is neverachieved, the improvements are stunning.  Check out the before/afters on their website: www.arnettcourses.com
Yeah that makes perfect sense, rather than overlapping the lower jaw as it's supposed to do, the upper jaw kind of sits on top of it right now, so it makes sense the smile will be less tall.

And don't bring up A&G, it depresses me cause I'm an East Coaster  :-[

Your teeth look a lot like mine, except I don't have an open bite. There's a good chance you'll need two bicuspid extractions in your lower jaw to improve your bite and correct your lip posture. This will also give your surgeon more room to advance your lower jaw.
Isn't the lip posture just a result of the way the teeth slant forward? I figured that by bringing the jaws forward (if I were to hypothetically get bimax surgery), the teeth would be at a 90 degree vertical angle like they're supposed to be.

Heavyweight

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 05:45:13 PM »
Yeah that makes perfect sense, rather than overlapping the lower jaw as it's supposed to do, the upper jaw kind of sits on top of it right now, so it makes sense the smile will be less tall.

And don't bring up A&G, it depresses me cause I'm an East Coaster  :-[

Isn't the lip posture just a result of the way the teeth slant forward? I figured that by bringing the jaws forward (if I were to hypothetically get bimax surgery), the teeth would be at a 90 degree vertical angle like they're supposed to be.

You might not have room to upright your teeth since your jaw is small. Also, if you're starting from an underbite, your orthodontist might not be able to get enough room to advance your lower jaw without extractions.

I haven't seen you in person and I'm obviously not a doctor, but these are just my initial thoughts. Two top surgeons gave me different opinions on whether to extract two lower teeth, and I ultimately decided that extractions were the best approach.

x

• Private
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 10:48:13 AM »
You might not have room to upright your teeth since your jaw is small. Also, if you're starting from an underbite, your orthodontist might not be able to get enough room to advance your lower jaw without extractions.

I haven't seen you in person and I'm obviously not a doctor, but these are just my initial thoughts. Two top surgeons gave me different opinions on whether to extract two lower teeth, and I ultimately decided that extractions were the best approach.
That makes sense. What was your alternative option to extractions?