Author Topic: MORE ON DISTRACTION OSTEOGENESIS FOR JAW  (Read 13854 times)

Lazlo

• Private
MORE ON DISTRACTION OSTEOGENESIS FOR JAW
« on: November 12, 2012, 08:18:52 PM »
So I keep posting this stuff, but no one seems to have any info. I will ask Schendel about it in December --it must be offered here too somewhere in the United States. I would never had needed the brutal extraction of my biscuspids had I had this done. Damn.
It seems the results are much more aesthetically pleasing. I inquired and YES, it can be performed on an adult as well. Watch the video and check this doctor's website and other videos.

Extreme makeover. Overbite and orthognathic jaw surgery treated by jaw distraction. Channel 10 news

CK

• Private
Re: MORE ON DISTRACTION OSTEOGENESIS FOR JAW
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
any benefits over traditional orthognathic surgery?

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 12:07:10 AM »
http://www.drchudasama.com/hub_sites/chudasama-dipak/www/assets/uploads/files/jco_2010-04-227.pdf

Interesting. But they might just not practice it and are thus dissing it, also there may have been advanced in the past 2 years.

CK

• Private
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 11:14:38 AM »
The doctor in this video said these operations can be done at any age. And I've seen some before after of adults and they look pretty good. they can even do distraction of the maxilla and cheekbone. I know Schendel has done it on adults too.

But yes, the stability, accuracy stuff is more of a concern as expressed in the arnett/gunson piece (if their response is still entirely accurate for 2012/2013.

yeah, i guess you have to consider the costs, benefits, risks etc.

jawless

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 12:27:22 PM »
Distraction osteogenesis has a lot of advantages over traditional jaw surgery. Maybe surgeons were reluctant to use this technique in the past because the technology was not well enough developed yet. I think the intra-oral devices this australian surgeon uses are just the job though.

If you watch this video very carefully, you will find that it blows away one of the key myths peddled on this forum. The idea that you cannot widen the back of the mandible (the jaw angles). The editing could be a bit better, but it is still fairly obvious that this is exactly what the distraction device is used for. See the diagram (drawn over the x-ray) if you don't get this. Despite all the evidence to the contrary, many people here will swear blind that this is impossible. Even dismissing the evidence before their own eyes as some kind of optical illusion. Widening of the jaw angles is possible, by at least 5 to 6mm, maybe as much as 1cm. Also, the jaw can be widened from the chin, further enhancing this effect.

jawless

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 12:36:34 PM »
Watch the video, the red lines and the green lines. The red line is the new wider jaw, it is definitely a lot wider.

jawless

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 12:39:29 PM »
I hope to. The diagram is 1:07 on the vid if anyone wants a look.

Sharptoys

• Private
    • The Eric Reyes Law Firm
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 01:00:28 PM »
Watch the video, the red lines and the green lines. The red line is the new wider jaw, it is definitely a lot wider.

Um, it's a panoramic xray.  It's a two dimensional view of the (naturally) three dimensional mandible and maxilla, and must therefore translate the three dimensions in to two. Thus, length is transcribed as width on the xray.

x

• Private
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 04:03:32 PM »
http://messageboards.makemeheal.com/chin-jaw-implants/help-how-widen-jaw-make-angular-t72166.html
What exactly do you hope to accomplish by capturing 'human perfection'? Even if you get your v-jawline it probably won't look natural cause your face biologically isn't that shape. My guess is you'll never be happy with the results unless you adjust your expectations.

Me, I just want a face that doesn't look bloated and pre-pubescent.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 11:08:50 PM »
What exactly do you hope to accomplish by capturing 'human perfection'? Even if you get your v-jawline it probably won't look natural cause your face biologically isn't that shape. My guess is you'll never be happy with the results unless you adjust your expectations.

Me, I just want a face that doesn't look bloated and pre-pubescent.

There's no point here questioning the philosophical/psychological underpinnings motivating anyone to pursue whatever aesthetic ideal they wish --in this thread let's keep the conversation keyed to the means of achieving whatever ideal we want. You can start another thread pondering whatever more existential, speculative questions you're interested in discussing. But this thread is about distraction osteogenesis: it's benefits and disadvantages and the doctors and any info about it. Thanks.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 11:10:27 PM »
sounds good to me --article indicates maxillary advancement is reserved mostly for patients with certain kinds of tissue deformity --but I wonder if it can be done a midface or malar complex to give higher stronger cheekbones? Something worth asking Schendel about.

http://www.joms.org/article/S0278-2391(07)01809-5/abstract

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 11:18:58 PM »
apparently devices already exist for distracting the orbital/malar complex.

My prediction is that within the next 5-10 years this is going to become the norm, and jaw surgery will be carefully phased out. Seems like you can in fact exhibit a far greater degree of precise control over what parts you want lengthened and how with these new intraoral distracting devices.

http://www.klsmartin.com/fileadmin/Inhalte/Downloads_Prospekte/90-777-02-04_03_02_Molina.pdf

x

• Private
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 11:54:03 PM »
There's no point here questioning the philosophical/psychological underpinnings motivating anyone to pursue whatever aesthetic ideal they wish --in this thread let's keep the conversation keyed to the means of achieving whatever ideal we want. You can start another thread pondering whatever more existential, speculative questions you're interested in discussing. But this thread is about distraction osteogenesis: it's benefits and disadvantages and the doctors and any info about it. Thanks.
Wow, thanks for keeping us on track Mr. Gestapo  ::)

Seems to me the other guy fired shots first, but whatever.