Author Topic: Surgeon gave me a morph, should I be adding vertical height?  (Read 12910 times)

MrRochester

Re: Surgeon gave me a morph, should I be adding vertical height?
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2014, 09:21:56 PM »
I'm having sliding genioplasty surgery April 23rd. He's planning on 6mm horizontal advancement. He said that morph, http://i.imgur.com/FO6L7I0.png, is around 9-10mm and wouldn't look good as the sublabial fold will be too sharp and dimpled. He says an S-shaped chin curve would be better. He thinks 6mm will place me in normal range and make my face less convex. I was pretty surprised to hear him mention convexity without my prompting.

I'm a bit worried about the vertical reduction he's planning on, but he thinks 2mm reduction is a good idea to make my middle and lower third better balanced. Do you agree and should I have him reduce my chin height?

What's also interesting is that he told me my airway is severely restricted, and my upper jaw is recessed around 4mm and my lower a whopping 14mm. Still, the genioplasty should be an improvement even if it is very modest. I know a lot of you think I'm foolish for just getting chin work when I so clearly need jaw surgery, but I'm hoping I'll look better even if only by 1%.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 09:53:17 PM by MrRochester »

PloskoPlus

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2014, 01:18:59 AM »

What's also interesting is that he told me my airway is severely restricted, and my upper jaw is recessed around 4mm and my lower a whopping 14mm. Still, the genioplasty should be an improvement even if it is very modest. I know a lot of you think I'm foolish for just getting chin work when I so clearly need jaw surgery, but I'm hoping I'll look better even if only by 1%.

Genioplasty is not a trivial operation.  You may get numbness, lip thinning.  And if you want to get jaw surgery later on, you'd have to revisit the chin.

sean89

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2014, 05:20:35 AM »
I'm having sliding genioplasty surgery April 23rd. He's planning on 6mm horizontal advancement. He said that morph, http://i.imgur.com/FO6L7I0.png, is around 9-10mm and wouldn't look good as the sublabial fold will be too sharp and dimpled. He says an S-shaped chin curve would be better. He thinks 6mm will place me in normal range and make my face less convex. I was pretty surprised to hear him mention convexity without my prompting.

I'm a bit worried about the vertical reduction he's planning on, but he thinks 2mm reduction is a good idea to make my middle and lower third better balanced. Do you agree and should I have him reduce my chin height?

I think you're doing the right thing. Jaw surgery is so expensive and such a long process when you can get close to the end result with genioplasty alone, and in any case, you would need a genio anyway along with the bimax if you wanted 'perfection'. Good luck and don't forget to show me the results.