Author Topic: Starting to have second thoughts about Mommaerts. Considering Profilo.  (Read 4090 times)

Optimistic

• I am class I
The more neutral and negative results I'm seeing from Mommaerts the more I'm beginning to question my entire plan to date. Particularly because his department is just so incredibly incompetent. No response to e-mails, can't call, nothing. And when I do get onto MM he gives me what are basically one sentence responses. It just doesn't instill confidence, even if I found my initial two consultations with him to be very satisfactory.

The next thing is that my surgery will in all likelihood be divided into two parts. Part one will be a small BSSO w/ CCW and SG. My jaw is not particularly weak, as confirmed by other surgeons. Some have even said I don't need a BSSO at all. Later on will be a Chin Wing and maybe some other stuff like HA paste on the malars.

For these two reasons alone I'm wondering if it would not make more sense to do the BSSO / SG with someone like Profilo given that their communication is far better, and they appear to have good results. It'd save me a lot of money too. And as others have said, BSSO / SG is not a complicated operation. Seems like I'm wasting time and money wanting to go overseas to a surgeon who I can barely contact.

- Is it true BSSO / SG isn't that complicated?
I mean, you're advancing the jaw and chin. Moving them into pretty set locations from an asethetic point of view, limited by the position of the teeth. As long as a surgeon respects these things the results should be good.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

Optimistic

• I am class I
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

PloskoPlus

I thought you lived in Sydney, so why the hell not?

PloskoPlus

BTW, previously you were talking about all sorts of extreme plans, and now you say that you are not very recessed...  So what is the problem then?  Your bite is not very far off, but you think your bones are just lacking robustness?  Maybe the latter is the real complaint?  Just wondering.

Optimistic

• I am class I
I thought you lived in Sydney, so why the hell not?

I don't live in Sydney, but I can get there. I'm living in Australia for the next year or two, so I have this opportunity to see him. Which is also why MM becomes significantly more expensive.

The thing is I've never had any patients post here, or seen their first hand account outside of the one about Tamara in my DO thread where I was fielding questions for him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMsuVT7KxGI

The thing is, he looks dedicated to it, clearly does all the scans and plans this out well. So that gives me a lot of confidence. Rather than MM who was telling me I needed lots of CCW to fix my open bite when in reality I had overerupted wisdom teeth from improper fitting Invisalign braces (they didn't cover the wisdom teeth at all, resulting in them coming up to meet over time. Giving me a steeper occlusal plane and significant open bite. Impacting them has almost entirely fixed it.)

Edit: I should point out I only had a consultation and not a work up, so he probably does all this stuff at some point. However having a detailed work up done just a week before an operation of this magnitude isn't a nice thought. I wish we could've gone into greater detail with precise planning rather than just him looking in my mouth and making some judgements, only to have it sent off to have a guy do a random morph which really only changed my face to meet textbook aesthetic standards. Which is fine, and I hope whatever surgeon I see makes me look like that. But the whole thing felt very disjointed. 

Can anyone with access to the private forum tell me if someone has ever posted on him there? Or what are this forum's general impressions of his work?

Finally, do you think it makes sense to do what I'm suggesting now which is to deal with the more functional operations first, then follow that up by seeing someone like Mommaerts later on for a chin wing and other work if I so choose? Do you agree with what I said that the BSSO / SG shouldn't be too complicated and likely won't go too wrong in hte hands of someone like Dr Coceancig instead of Mommaerts?

Optimistic

• I am class I
BTW, previously you were talking about all sorts of extreme plans, and now you say that you are not very recessed...  So what is the problem then?  Your bite is not very far off, but you think your bones are just lacking robustness?  Maybe the latter is the real complaint?  Just wondering.

Hey, so like I mentioned in my reply just then things have changed a lot after impacting my third molars more. My mandibular plane is much better (close to flat), losing weight shows my rami are actually quite good too. However the biggest thing in my turn around has been my discovery of the chin wing.

Originally I had all these crazy ideas on how to augment each and every little bit of my jaw to make it just right. Now I realise none of that is necessary. My original BSSO / SG will address what remains of my bite issues and improve profile. Whilst the Chin Wing can do absolutely everything else (jaw angles, mandibular plane, gonial angles, ramus length) etc.

My jaw is a bit like Mr Rochesters or SensoryDeprivations (I think from memory) in profile. We have both have that kind of ante face where it's forward grown. So while my mandible advances a bit beyond where my radix / forehead is - which in most people would be 100% normal - in my case looks slightly recessed. Just different face types I suppose. Mine isn't very flat.

Jaw has also appeared to broaden a bit which could be due to maturation. I definitely need surgery to get the look I want, however it will no longer be anything majorly invasive.

Does that answer your question?

PloskoPlus

Does that answer your question?

Pretty much.  So nothing on the upper jaw, I guess?

Optimistic

• I am class I
Pretty much.  So nothing on the upper jaw, I guess?

Nah, its fine. Compared to others on here I really do seem like a mild case.

sean89

Why are you getting a sliding genio AND a chin wing?

Optimistic

• I am class I
Why are you getting a sliding genio AND a chin wing?

I'm still researching this so I can't say for sure, however since a chin wing apparently can't be done simultaneously with a BSSO I need to work out what this means in terms of my surgery plans.

Will I get a standard BSSO / SG as planned, then later do a chin wing to improve the posterior part of the mandible? Or just BSSO to begin with, wait for healing, then Chin Wing for chin and posterior jaw angles?

Hopefully when I speak with Dr Birbe soon he can shed some light on it all.

I also thought last night that an IVRO with Chin Wing should be possible in one go. Super brutal, but possible nonetheless.

sunnygupta

Re: Starting to have second thoughts about Mommaerts. Considering Profilo.
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 06:24:43 AM »
So what was your experience like with Profolio?

Vic

Re: Starting to have second thoughts about Mommaerts. Considering Profilo.
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 03:32:58 PM »
I'm still researching this so I can't say for sure, however since a chin wing apparently can't be done simultaneously with a BSSO I need to work out what this means in terms of my surgery plans.

Will I get a standard BSSO / SG as planned, then later do a chin wing to improve the posterior part of the mandible? Or just BSSO to begin with, wait for healing, then Chin Wing for chin and posterior jaw angles?

Hopefully when I speak with Dr Birbe soon he can shed some light on it all.

I also thought last night that an IVRO with Chin Wing should be possible in one go. Super brutal, but possible nonetheless.

A very important aspect that depends on whether you can have a chin wing at all, depends on how far your nerves go down. So I will get a CT scan and send it to your surgeon to see if it's actually possible before travelling the distance to see them