Author Topic: Consultation with Brian Musgrove tomorrow evening  (Read 7564 times)

backward lowerjaw

• Private
Consultation with Brian Musgrove tomorrow evening
« on: March 24, 2014, 04:05:03 AM »
I have just spoken to the secretary of Brian Musgrove in the Manchester area, for a second opinion regarding my upper and lower jaws being too set back.  She managed to get me in for a consultation for tomorrow evening,  it will be interesting to see what he says, one thing she did say is they can do 3d imaging to show what I would look after like which is good, I am planning to see a few in the U.K over the next couple of months.   There's not much info however on Mr Musgrove on this site.

What questions would be best to ask him?

sean89

Re: Consultation with Brian Musgrove tomorrow evening
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 07:16:39 AM »
I had a consultation with him...seemed honest, but did not strike me as an expert in his field (I asked him about some of the newer developments in orthognathic surgery and it seemed like he was oblivious to them)...just a standard maxfac surgeon capable of the basic jaw movements. Also, he's very expensive...BUT, if you are going to get double jaw surgery, make sure you get a surgeon who responds quickly to your emails or your orthodontist's emails. There are some U.K. patients who choose to go abroad since it can be slightly cheaper (although there are a lot of cheap surgeons in the U.K.) but the problem with that is the surgeons seem to take a lot longer, if at all,  to respond to emails. Brian Musgrove (or his secretary) responded to all my emails almost immediately.

backward lowerjaw

• Private
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 10:02:31 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Sean,

Who else have you seen and would recommend in England and Europe? I've heard good things about Henri Thuau but heard can be expensive.  To be honest price is not a factor if it means paying more and not having to do this again then that is what I will do, I will spend up to ?25000 if I have to as long as I have the right surgeon.

sean89

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 12:50:14 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Sean,

Who else have you seen and would recommend in England and Europe? I've heard good things about Henri Thuau but heard can be expensive.  To be honest price is not a factor if it means paying more and not having to do this again then that is what I will do, I will spend up to ?25000 if I have to as long as I have the right surgeon.

I can't really recommend anyone since I haven't had surgery yet. I would advise to stay away from Maurice Mommaerts.

backward lowerjaw

• Private
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 04:28:38 PM »
Yeah he;s definitely not on my list from what i've heard from him, i'm interested to hear what Paul Johnson and Henri Thuau have to say.

Jimson13

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 10:54:23 AM »
Do you know if any of these surgeons work on the NHS?

backward lowerjaw

• Private
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 10:58:23 AM »
Johnson does at guildford

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 11:03:42 AM »
Ken Sneddon is meant to be good at East Grinstead, I'm seeing him in a couple of weeks, will report back  ;)

backward lowerjaw

• Private
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 11:04:06 AM »
i'd keep away from Musgrove he was a waste of time and money I didn't feel comfortable with his attitude never mind  god forbid operated on me, Thuau was very nice when I met him took all the time to answer my questons, down to earth, approachable an all round bloody nice bloke. Thuau doesn't do nhs.

backward lowerjaw

• Private
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 11:07:42 AM »
Modigliani, had a quick look on Sneddon's site when you mentioned him I see one of his interests is medico legal, tell what happened with your last surgery see if there's anything can be done from a legal side.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 11:17:49 AM »
I've already spoken to a couple of solicitors, basically I can't sue through the UK courts because there's nothing that connects him here eg. if he was conducting consults  or advertising in the UK. Such a shame because I'd have him by the bollocks  >:(

Suing him through a Belgium court would just be a waste of time, medical malpractice cases are as rare as rocking horse s**t and even if you do win the payouts are nominal at best.

Musgrove has got a horrible reputation,  didn't think you'd like him based on what I've heard. His 'skills' aren't supposed to be up to much either.

backward lowerjaw

• Private
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 11:47:59 AM »
I thought that might be the case, I was pretty sure you would of looked in to it anyway it, those laws are bulls**t, fingers crossed with Sneddon, let me know how it goes hun ;)

overbiter

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2014, 12:00:04 PM »
I contacted Thuau about getting just a genioplasty and was quoted about ?6000 - ?7000, and that was years ago now. He seems pretty steep to me, and his attitude to not working on the NHS makes it seem like he is just in it for the money.

backward lowerjaw

• Private
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2014, 01:09:24 PM »
I know when I spoke to him i asked why he didn't do treatment on the NHS anymore he said he didn't like the way a lot of the patients were treated by the staff at the hospital he was at funnily enough it was the same hospital I had my surgery.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 05:28:41 PM »
Ken Sneddon is meant to be good at East Grinstead, I'm seeing him in a couple of weeks, will report back  ;)

Do! I'm interested to see what he's like!