Author Topic: crowns or veneers  (Read 1359 times)

sean89

crowns or veneers
« on: April 03, 2014, 05:10:42 PM »
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about crowns or veneers, and which I should choose.

I'm gonna get my front 8 uppers done. I've had veneers on my front two teeth before, but they kept coming off and ever since I got them crowned, they've never come off and I can eat anything with them.

On that basis then I'm favouring crowns, but I know that that means they will have to remove more of the tooth since the crown completely envelops the tooth. Has anyone ever had any long-term problems with too much of the tooth being removed? I know the disfavour with which people view extractions, so I was just wondering if the logic there extends to this instance.

So I guess what I'm basically asking is whether there is any good reason not to choose crowns over veneers?

Thanks.

LoveofScotch

Re: crowns or veneers
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 06:10:02 PM »
Oh, boy. I'm not sure how much help I will be, but here we go.

Almost a decade ago, I worked with a handful of neuromuscular dentists. They essentially fixed my TMJ issues, but are now the reason that I need surgery. When I started working with them, their plan was to put my bite in a comfortable position (not a pain position), and then...and I quote, "Crown it, bridge it, and veneer it." They wanted to utilize a combination of them, to get my bite back together, once I was in a non-pain position. I live in the Midwest, where things are fantastically less expensive, and the quote was $60,000 (plus braces, if I happened to need them for a second time).

I was visiting my regular dentist, for by biannual cleaning, and he asked how I was doing with my jaw. I told him what the others had said (and at the time, I was planning to go ahead with their treatment), and he literally shouted NO from the roof tops. He is probably the nicest, most quietly spoken, human on this planet. He is hard pressed to give his opinion. You know that saying, "Opinions are like assholes, everyone has got one." My dentist really never has offered an opinion in an area that is not directly his expertise, but he said no to this. He just kept talking about how you NEVER EVER, take down virgin teeth...EVER. He also said that dental work, like that, had a shelf life of about 8 years. Of course, it's not like everything goes at once, but he said that I should be prepared to be fixing that work (crowns, brides, veneers) until the day that I was 6 feet under. Ugh.

Long story short, is that I would look for other alternatives. I assume you are relatively young, and this will potentially be a substantial amount of upkeep for you, throughout your lifetime. If the alternatives are not better, and you need veneers and/or crowns, I would look into the thin-prep veneers (I believe they are marketed under a few different names). This would allow you to keep as much of your teeth as possible (with veneers). Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any situation with a crown that allows you to keep more of your tooth.

I would normally never recommend this, but I would look into crowns (if your only option is either crowns or veneers). I know several people with veneers, and they are always popping off. Talk about inconvenient, being at a dinner party when your tooth falls off. Heaven forbid you bite into an apple before giving a presentation at work. Even if it means removing more of your tooth, for the sake of quality of life (being able to eat w/o worrying, and being able to travel w/o being concerned that your veneers are going to go rouge), I would be leaning toward crowns.

Are you sure, these are your only options?

sean89

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 06:34:06 PM »
Thanks for the detailed reply loveofscotch.

I don't think there are any alternatives. My front teeth are bigger than I would like them to be. The only option, as far as I am aware, is to remove some of the enamel so as to shorten them. I could possibly get away with not crowning my lateral incisors since they are pretty white already but my canines are yellowing, and I have a narrow dental arch that I wanted to thicken out with crowns (although braces might be used for this purpose). This would also offset the need for me to get a filling on one of my premolars.

I was already pretty set against getting veneers but your post just confirms my conviction.

I just hope that crowns are a lot more durable, as they have been with me so far. I think I will probably use the same dentist as last time (even though he is more expensive) and just have to be prepared to pay for replacements if the crowns do come off.

Obviously not an ideal situation but I don't like the way my teeth are currently so I'm prepared to take the risk.

LoveofScotch

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 07:52:52 PM »
I was only offered the porcelain option, so I can't speak to the others; I don't know anything about them.

YES, to going with the dentist who did your prior work, if it has held up well. I cannot recommend that enough. If the work is solid, and it is working for you...do more of that! In this circumstance, I would spend more now to save later (money, time, and your nerves).

Good luck!

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 01:44:40 AM »
Veneers scare me. I've seen a lot of stories about people having their lives ruining by the pain from shaving down the teeth in preparation for veneers. The maintainability issue is also a huge downside that is hard to ignore.