Author Topic: at the ortho the other day..  (Read 5028 times)

treevernal

• Private
at the ortho the other day..
« on: December 11, 2012, 12:38:18 AM »
I couldn't help being a bit envious of the guy next to me getting fitted for invisalign.  He was about my age and wont ever have to know about the pain of traditional braces, the annoyance of cleaning your teeth really well even though it's super late and you're exhausted lol.  Lucky bastard.  What was nice about the appointment was my orthodontist telling me that if his own children had a case like mine, he'd want them to have surgery too.  Glad to know I'm making the right decision; wonder why my teenage orthodontist never mentioned surgery as an option?

Funny convo with a friend the other day also shows how some people just don't get it.  I told him i was having jaw surgery to fix my bite and he tried to compare that to himself telling me about an upcoming gum graft he needed.  Haha, yeah same thing buddy.

I've started telling a lot of people in my life about my upcoming surgery and when they press for details of what is about to be done, I can't help but laugh at the look of sheer horror on their faces.

Just random thoughts of the day :p

CK

• Private
Re: at the ortho the other day..
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 01:13:37 AM »
What was nice about the appointment was my orthodontist telling me that if his own children had a case like mine, he'd want them to have surgery too.  Glad to know I'm making the right decision; wonder why my teenage orthodontist never mentioned surgery as an option?

i think all orthodontists say this.  it seems a lot of people have said their orthodontist told them the same thing, it's in another thread i can't remember. my orthodontist told me the same thing "if my child had your condition etc..etc.."

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 01:16:29 PM »
i think all orthodontists say this.  it seems a lot of people have said their orthodontist told them the same thing, it's in another thread i can't remember. my orthodontist told me the same thing "if my child had your condition etc..etc.."

Probably true, but not gonna lie it made me feel better.

Cmonster

• Private
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 11:14:24 PM »
hahahahahaha this is so funny, I met with my new ortho today and questioning him about my potential surgeon he's like if my wife or children ever needed jaw surgery, I'd have no hesitation in sending them to him... SIGH lol

I guess it reassures a patient that they'd put their nearest and dearest to them, in your shoes.
We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 06:25:04 AM »
I can relate to your Dad.   Along this process with my son I have broken down in major tears more than a few times.  It's not the money.  I would do or pay anything not to have to have him go through this.   It is such a crazy surgery and recovery both physical and mentally.
Then on top of it there is no guarantee of the results or long term stability.  As a parent there is nothing more painful and heart wrenching then to see your child suffering or have to go through something major with their health. 

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 06:49:28 AM »
How old are you again Lazlo?

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 11:24:33 AM »
How old are you again Lazlo?

I''m older, but my Dad is old and we lost our mother a few years back so he was overwhelmed by how extensive all of this is and it really worried him. I don't think the reality of what this operation entailed
breaking both jaws etc.. had dawned upon him until it was explained by the surgeon.

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 12:16:12 PM »
I''m older, but my Dad is old and we lost our mother a few years back so he was overwhelmed by how extensive all of this is and it really worried him. I don't think the reality of what this operation entailed
breaking both jaws etc.. had dawned upon him until it was explained by the surgeon.

I'm sorry to hear that.  Sounds like you and your dad have a strong relationship.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 03:19:37 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that.  Sounds like you and your dad have a strong relationship.

Thanks for saying that. It's tough because I feel guilty involving him and worrying him, but I'm a grad student, can't do it without his help.

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 03:41:46 PM »
I feel bad worrying my parents too.  They're coming out to see me through recovery and theyve begrudgingly accepted me doing this, but I fear their stress of seeing me post-op.  I hope both our parents will be okay.  I'm sure your dad is a strong guy and will be fine.

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 05:42:37 AM »
Going through hard times together really makes everyone even closer and stronger.   Also it makes the good times that much sweeter.
As a Parent I know the love for your kids is so strong that you want to be there for them every step of the way.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 01:20:59 AM »
Going through hard times together really makes everyone even closer and stronger.   Also it makes the good times that much sweeter.
As a Parent I know the love for your kids is so strong that you want to be there for them every step of the way.

Thanks for that wonderful sentiment. You sound like a very caring mother.

I will tell you this, my Dad and I have had our differences throughout our lives, but there truly is nothing stronger than the bond between a parent and a child. I don't think I could have gone through much of this without him, I mean travelling across the continent, staying motels, getting consults, dealing with the stress of all this info regarding the extractions etc. etc.
regardless of our age, what would we do without our parents????