Author Topic: Did you ice your face after surgery? Is it essential for recovery?  (Read 3850 times)

MrRochester

Because my hotel won't have a freezer. Maybe it'll have an ice machine, but I'm not counting on it. The professional opinions I read online are conflicting and some say it doesn't really matter much at all, some say it's important during the first 24 hours, and others say you should keep doing it for the first 2-3 days.

Gregor Samsa

Re: Did you ice your face after surgery? Is it essential for recovery?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 11:22:35 PM »
I only did it while I was in the hospital and my swelling went down fast anyway.

MrRochester

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 11:31:35 PM »
I only did it while I was in the hospital and my swelling went down fast anyway.

How long did you stay in the hospital? I'm getting it done in a major NYC hospital and will be released 2-3 hours after the procedure is finished.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 12:13:17 AM »
How long did you stay in the hospital? I'm getting it done in a major NYC hospital and will be released 2-3 hours after the procedure is finished.

Around 24 hours.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 12:15:10 AM »
Because my hotel won't have a freezer. Maybe it'll have an ice machine, but I'm not counting on it. The professional opinions I read online are conflicting and some say it doesn't really matter much at all, some say it's important during the first 24 hours, and others say you should keep doing it for the first 2-3 days.

I still think that genio only is a mistake.  Your jaws look recessed.

DrBirbe

• Birbe
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 12:42:52 AM »
I reaaly think it makes a difference icing your face for 48h. In the long run no, but if you are interested in having minor swelling and a quick recovery, it is important. I put my patients a face mask with a cooing system,
http://www.birbe.org/blog/postoperatorio-cirugia-ortognatica/
Typically my patients spend 24h in house and then either go home, or stay a couple of days at an hotel nearby.
Hang in there!
Dr. Birbe
MD, DDS, PhD.
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon.
Diplomate of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Clinica Birbe Medical Director
www.birbe.org/en

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 05:03:23 AM »

I don't get why you wouldn't do Chin Wing to be honest. It'll have a far greater cosmetic effect.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

MrRochester

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 09:41:58 AM »
I don't get why you wouldn't do Chin Wing to be honest. It'll have a far greater cosmetic effect.

The added benefits of chin wing don't really concern me (better at correcting asymmetries, avoiding step-offs, and improving jaw angles). My only real concern is decreasing the convexity of my face and increasing the projection of my chin. I think genio can accomplish both of those.

Also, getting chin wing as an American is not exactly easy as I've explained in past posts. If it were offered by someone here in NYC, then I'd get it. As it stands right now, I'd have to fly to Europe and spend 4x as much. My genioplasty is only costing $4500.

I still think that genio only is a mistake.  Your jaws look recessed.

I'm not sure why you'd mention this considering I'm already doing it next week and I've already discussed my decision at length. My upper jaw is 4mm recessed and my lower 14mm. I've explained why I'm not getting jaw surgery (can't afford it, don't want to wear braces, and it's a more invasive and risky procedure than I'd like to undertake considering that I'm correcting a purely cosmetic issue).

I'm not looking to be perfect. I just want it to be an improvement, however slight.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 12:54:16 PM »
Genio is not exactly a minor procedure for the sake of minor improvement. Your teeth are mostly straight, I think. You'd be in braces for less than a year. Time flies regardless.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 11:57:45 PM »
The added benefits of chin wing don't really concern me (better at correcting asymmetries, avoiding step-offs, and improving jaw angles). My only real concern is decreasing the convexity of my face and increasing the projection of my chin. I think genio can accomplish both of those.

Also, getting chin wing as an American is not exactly easy as I've explained in past posts. If it were offered by someone here in NYC, then I'd get it. As it stands right now, I'd have to fly to Europe and spend 4x as much. My genioplasty is only costing $4500.

I'm not sure why you'd mention this considering I'm already doing it next week and I've already discussed my decision at length. My upper jaw is 4mm recessed and my lower 14mm. I've explained why I'm not getting jaw surgery (can't afford it, don't want to wear braces, and it's a more invasive and risky procedure than I'd like to undertake considering that I'm correcting a purely cosmetic issue).

I'm not looking to be perfect. I just want it to be an improvement, however slight.

Hey, sorry if it came across the wrong way. I get not everyone is willing to go to the same lengths as others on here.

You're right though that a SG should provide a pretty big improvement.

Out of curiosity, would you ever look into HA paste or implants to improve jaw angles or gonial angles?

Edit: I thought you said you lived in Europe? Or am I mistaken?
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

MrRochester

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 04:27:15 PM »
Hey, sorry if it came across the wrong way. I get not everyone is willing to go to the same lengths as others on here.

You're right though that a SG should provide a pretty big improvement.

Out of curiosity, would you ever look into HA paste or implants to improve jaw angles or gonial angles?

Edit: I thought you said you lived in Europe? Or am I mistaken?

I was living in Germany when I first joined this site, but now I live in the US. I'm getting rhinoplasty with a top surgeon in October (he was booked up until then) and then maybe fillers for my bulging eyes (I'm not a candidate for orbital decompression). That's really all I'm willing to do to combat being unattractive. I figure you have to impose a limit on yourself at some point, so that's where I've drawn the line. So even if I'm unhappy with the outcome, I will not be getting jaw implants or going back in to tack some HA paste on or whatever.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 05:06:53 PM »
I was living in Germany when I first joined this site, but now I live in the US. I'm getting rhinoplasty with a top surgeon in October (he was booked up until then) and then maybe fillers for my bulging eyes (I'm not a candidate for orbital decompression). That's really all I'm willing to do to combat being unattractive. I figure you have to impose a limit on yourself at some point, so that's where I've drawn the line. So even if I'm unhappy with the outcome, I will not be getting jaw implants or going back in to tack some HA paste on or whatever.

Who are your surgeons?

sean89

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 04:15:57 AM »
Are you asking for any changes to the width of your chin or are you just going for projection? Sometimes, narrower chins can look too pointy after a genio but I think you'll be okay.

Good luck with your surgery.

MrRochester

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 07:58:08 AM »
I think it went fine and I'm less slightly less ugly than I was beforehand. He only advanced it 5mm. What's the average setback for advancement genioplasty? Is it likely to fall back a couple of millimeters over time? The result looks pretty natural and I don't have any pain whatsoever, so I think it was worth having it done.

sean89

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 12:25:10 PM »
I think it went fine and I'm less slightly less ugly than I was beforehand. He only advanced it 5mm. What's the average setback for advancement genioplasty? Is it likely to fall back a couple of millimeters over time? The result looks pretty natural and I don't have any pain whatsoever, so I think it was worth having it done.

I don't know what the situation is with setback etc, but I saw your results on another website, and I think you look really good - a lot better than you give yourself credit for. If I could criticise the outcome, I would say that your chin would have been perfect with another 2 or 3 mms but it is already a great result.

I know you are looking into other surgeries (e.g. rhinoplasty), but I'm not sure you really 'need' it if you have the confidence that you should have after your genioplasty.