Author Topic: For those who like Arnett and Gunson...  (Read 11932 times)

ticktickatick

For those who like Arnett and Gunson...
« on: May 02, 2014, 07:34:25 PM »
Is it Arnett or Gunson who is running the show here?

I am always a bit surprised at Gunson's popularity considering he only started practicing in 2003. 10 years is not really that long compared to some surgeons that have been doing this for 30 years. Gunson lovers...did this bother any of you?

Yes, Arnett started practicing in 1975...so he's going on 39 years now. But from what I've heard, they don't always do the surgery together, sometimes you just get Gunson, or Gunson and a fellow or some other colleague.

Their whole F-A-B system is great and they definitely have had some amazing results. I guess I still think that 30 years experience would trump 10 years experience when it comes to down to actually cutting up your face.

Thoughts?

LoveofScotch

Re: For those who like Arnett and Gunson...
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 08:45:02 PM »
Unless something has changed in the last few months...

1) Whoever your initial, new patient consultation is with; that is who does your surgery. You get to pick, but this needs to be decided when you schedule your first appointment.

2) They don't do surgery together, but they will flip with one another for patient follow-up appointments, if necessary.

3) They are both the same price.

4) Arnett is more difficult to schedule with; he just takes a little longer to get into. (Gunson had his first available opening in 4 weeks, where Arnett didn't have an opening for 12 weeks.)

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 01:58:08 AM »
They have a rather unique skillset in that they work with HA grafts and focus a lot on the cosmetical result. For example, I can't find a single maxillofacial surgeon out there that does infraortibal rim augmentation using HA other than Arnett and Gunson.

Do they have any patients that are unhappy with their results?

LoveofScotch

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 08:42:34 AM »
Do they have patients unhappy with their results?

Unfortunately, yes.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 10:40:09 AM »
Do they have patients unhappy with their results?

Unfortunately, yes.

Have they posted online? I'd like to read what they have to say about the whole experience with them.

LoveofScotch

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 10:50:42 AM »
Yep, you can find some of their experiences online.

marcolob

• Private
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 10:58:15 AM »
Horror stories or just dissatisfaction stemming from pickiness, for want of a better word?

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 11:05:55 AM »
Yep, you can find some of their experiences online.

The most critical person I can find is actually on this forum (pekay) and he hasn't even had surgery with them himself.

LoveofScotch

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 01:08:48 PM »
I personally believe they have produced some unfortunate results; that's just the way surgery works (unfortunately).

Was it a poor plan, for the patient, from the beginning? Would another surgeon have produced a better result? Would the patient have had issues, regardless of the surgeon? Was it an issue with the HA paste?

I don't know how to answer any of those questions. I think we all agree that you are going to get a different surgical plan from every different surgeon you consult with. When it's all said and done, who's going to have come up with the best plan, for what you needed? Again, I don't necessarily know how to answer that. I do know going with Arnett/Gunson sure as hell does not guarantee a perfect result. That would be too easy.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 01:41:54 PM »
Horror stories or just dissatisfaction stemming from pickiness, for want of a better word?

I've not come across any horror stories.

Plenty of pickiness though, like if you look at 5* hotel reviews there may  appear to be  a lot of unhappy punters, but that's because they're paying top dollar and anything other than a totally flawless experience is deemed unacceptable.

Not quite the same obviously but I do think that they are held up to higher standard, due in part to the inflated prices and the reputation that goes along with it.

ticktickatick

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 07:41:46 AM »
Back when I was considering them I looked at every blog I could find with A&G. I focused on women since that is the aesthetic that matters to me.

Now this is just from the people who blogged but there were surprisingly a lot that I did not like the final result. Bites seemed good overall...but they were now girls with manly jaws. TBH though a lot of the women did not...have a lot of baseline attractiveness to begin with, so maybe there is only so much you can do.

Everyone posts that redhead girl they did who had a fantastic result, but maybe the aggressive advancements they favor only bode well for certain female facial types. I did hit a couple of A&G male patient's blogs and usually liked the result though.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 10:10:14 AM »
You can have a perfect bite and still have a wildly unbalanced face. I'm a good example of that.

lcmn

• Private
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 12:17:56 PM »
I just found this great blog by an Dr. Arnette patient.  This patient had joint issues and severe Class II.  Great results, info and pictures.

http://jawdroppingjourney.blogspot.com/

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 07:09:27 PM »
They have a rather unique skillset in that they work with HA grafts and focus a lot on the cosmetical result. For example, I can't find a single maxillofacial surgeon out there that does infraortibal rim augmentation using HA other than Arnett and Gunson.

Do they have any patients that are unhappy with their results?

That's something I've been interested in lately. Are there any results floating about?

And do they offer on-line consultations? I wouldn't mind having a chat to them about a few things
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2014, 08:59:02 PM »
And do they offer on-line consultations? I wouldn't mind having a chat to them about a few things

No they don't do that (I've asked). It's a shame it's so expensive for me to fly to the US because their consultations are definitely worth the $550 they charge for them.