Author Topic: Soft-tissue and predictability in lower jaw surgery only  (Read 2139 times)

Optimistic

• I am class I
Soft-tissue and predictability in lower jaw surgery only
« on: May 06, 2014, 10:31:00 PM »
A lot of posters on here are talking about how soft-tissue is unpredictable, so this is obviously a concern for me regarding my surgery. The thing that I still don't fully understand is this: I'm now very low body fat, there really isn't much soft tissue around my mandible or chin. I can't see how this could pose any problems in terms of getting the result I want?

So if I got a sliding genio and I had shown them the exact morphs I wanted which laid out where I wanted my chin to be post-op, what would be so hard with achieving EXACTLY that result? Remember I'm probably only going to be able to get chin wing and/or sliding genio now so there isn't even the risk of relapse from pulling of masseters or anything.

I'm honestly pretty afraid that I'll get the surgery and for whatever reason the surgeon just won't stick to the plan and I'll end up with a result I'm unhappy with.

The only saving grace to all of this that I can think of is that even if I didn't get enough projection there are always fillers and grafting which could make up any difference.

Sorry for the rant, but anyone with better knowledge on this who could explain things for me would help. I'm getting pretty close to surgery (likely end of year) so naturally my fears are increasing.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

ticktickatick

Re: Soft-tissue and predictability in lower jaw surgery only
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 07:58:32 AM »
Well I can't answer your questions about soft tissue with a sliding genio only, but if you're afraid your surgeon won't stick to the plan I think that is a different issue entirely.

It seems like some surgeons plan it out, even do jaw surgery on molds before they do it on you, and then some like Mommaerts just sort of wing it. I would not be comfortable going with a surgeon who told me he/she was going to wait and see.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 06:57:43 PM »
Well I can't answer your questions about soft tissue with a sliding genio only, but if you're afraid your surgeon won't stick to the plan I think that is a different issue entirely.

It seems like some surgeons plan it out, even do jaw surgery on molds before they do it on you, and then some like Mommaerts just sort of wing it. I would not be comfortable going with a surgeon who told me he/she was going to wait and see.

Yea, and a lot of surgeons seem to tell you one thing during consultation then as soon as you're out in the operating theatre they do something entirely different. There was a guy on here who got a sliding genio and had morphed and planned out exactly how much advancement he would need. Then the surgeon ended up advancing it less than planned / needed, and just said he did it to avoid too big of a step off. Which makes one wonder how that's possible. How could a surgeon who has seen scans and everything not be able to accurately determine the amount of advancement needed?? Or to do it but get it wrong???
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 08:21:11 PM »
Yea, and a lot of surgeons seem to tell you one thing during consultation then as soon as you're out in the operating theatre they do something entirely different. There was a guy on here who got a sliding genio and had morphed and planned out exactly how much advancement he would need. Then the surgeon ended up advancing it less than planned / needed, and just said he did it to avoid too big of a step off. Which makes one wonder how that's possible. How could a surgeon who has seen scans and everything not be able to accurately determine the amount of advancement needed?? Or to do it but get it wrong???

Maybe you should ask the surgeon to what degree he improvises?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 08:22:34 PM »

All surgeons should do a dry-run on moulds.  Well that's what the max fac textbook says.  It's the only way to guarantee proper occlusion post-op.