Author Topic: Difficulty finding post surgical info from senior members  (Read 10178 times)

Modigliani

• Private
Re: Difficulty finding post surgical info from senior members
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 11:57:02 AM »
It's called downgrafting of the maxilla. Bone is taken from the front of the hip and used as a graft, along with rigid fixation (plates and screws basically) relapse is said to be minimal, apparently.

lcmn

• Private
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 03:03:16 PM »
This sounds really terrible.
Does the counter clockwise rotation cause the chimp look + pig looking nose?
Why does the nose end up looking widened +flared nostrils anyway? I was told that my nose might end up looking more up-turned. I guess that's like the "gentle" way of saying it might end up looking flared and like a pig's. What can be done to avoid that sort of thing? If there were downward movement of the maxilla, how does it affect your nose?

I think it's more the forward movement (than the counter clockwise rotation) of the maxilla that causes the chimp look/pig nose.  If you think about moving the maxilla bone forward, the bone pushes the nose cartilage and soft tissue, at the base of the nose, forward and up.  The result is a widened, upturned nose.  And a weird looking fullness at the philthrum (just under the nose)--not a good look.  It's described very well here by Arnette and Gunson  http://www.arnettgunson.com/fab-treatment-planning/airway/sleep-apnea-treatment/summary

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 05:09:20 PM »
How much does shaving down the anterior nasal spine help with the nose upturning? This was the one concern my surgeon mentioned.  He really doesnt want my tip to upturn and said he will do everything he can to prevent it. I think it should help that I wont be getting large foward movements

PloskoPlus

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2014, 01:22:15 AM »
How much does shaving down the anterior nasal spine help with the nose upturning? This was the one concern my surgeon mentioned.  He really doesnt want my tip to upturn and said he will do everything he can to prevent it. I think it should help that I wont be getting large foward movements

I can show you a textbook case where the ANS reduction was excessive (it is possible to remove it completely), and the tip ended up pointing  completely down.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2014, 04:37:36 AM »

Overzealous ANS reduction.

[attachment deleted by admin]

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2015, 01:45:24 PM »
Just wanted to chime in on this old thread for anyone who stumbles upon it. The aesthetics of the nose is not necessarily a function of the surgeon but of the surgical plan. Alar cinch and shaving of ANS are standard surgical techniques that all oral surgeons are trained with. I've consulted with a few patients from all the major practices and flaring of the nostrils is a common side effect of the surgery. With CCW rotation, the effect should be minimal but it's unavailable as there's simply going to be more support on the outside of the nostrils. Typically the advancement at the nasal base is only about 4mm in an CCW-MMA so the effect is minimal. There are undoubtedly some cases where CCW rotation can't be used or where the surgeon didn't know or want to use it. I don't know if Dr Li wasn't doing the CCW rotation at that time maybe. In those cases, surgeons often want to push the maxilla forward as much as possible and that's when you get into real trouble. In my unqualified aesthetic opinion, in general men tend to tolerate wide noses better and women upturned noses. Most of the time people have sleep apnea there's going to be deformities affecting support behind the nose anyway so you can expect an aesthetic improvement. All volume providers advance the mandible 10-13mm. Only one I met didn't propose being at the upper end of the spectrum.

chinnychinchin

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2015, 07:17:06 PM »
I would love to find a quick summary of some of the senior member's information on their post surgical results.  Maybe someone can direct me to where I can find this info?

Things such as: 1)Surgeon name 2)Reason for surgery 3) General thumbs up or down on results 4) Any notable complications like chronic pain, joint problems, relapse, deformity.

Thank you!

A little about me:  Age 33 in San Diego, currently considering jaw surgery for sleep apnea caused by a small airway due to recessed jaw--not severely so.  I've consulted with Dr Kasey Li, Dr. Grant McGann and several ENT's in San Diego.  Considering consult with Dr. Gunson.  I am totally afraid of the risks of chronic pain and facial changes associated with maxilla movement.

Yes, it's been a pain to track this info down and should be easier than what we have today. I just so happen to be a web developer and maybe I can help solve this! I started another thread regarding this to see if there's enough interest and to gather feedback @ http://jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php/topic,4777.0.html

tonebame

• PM if you know anything about upturning reduction!
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2021, 10:30:33 PM »
I can show you a textbook case where the ANS reduction was excessive (it is possible to remove it completely), and the tip ended up pointing  completely down.

Hi PloskoPlus,

I joined this forum to message you and a few others. I would really love to see this textbook case and I think you shared it somewhere but attachments are removed since then. If you could kindly show me more about this specific case as well as generally ANS reduction reducing nose upturning, I would appreciate you so much! I am getting DJS with a big maxillary advancement- and I'm worried as heck of the pignose effects which I've pretty much seen in every single before/after of big underbite patients doing DJS like myself. I'd much rather get a wide nose than a pig nose!  :'(

Cheers,
tonebame
Looking for how to reduce upturning w/ maxilla advancement. I actually don't mind widening of the alar- I think upturning is much, much worse.

Wide big noses look way better than pignoses. IMO!  alar base reduction > full rhino

Please PM me if you have knowledge! Much appreciated! October 2021