Author Topic: Anyone use ALF appliances?  (Read 4702 times)

retrudedmandible

Anyone use ALF appliances?
« on: June 08, 2014, 12:18:08 PM »
I was in an ALF for a year due to a lot of talk about it on FB.  So, does ALF REALLY move cranial bones, grow the maxilla and mandible as the articles say they do: http://www.alforthodontics.com/Articles.htm

Looking at the pictures on almost every single article - there may be a BEFORE xray and then some teeth and so-called posture pictures, but IF the ALF appliance does what these dentists/orthodontists claim it does, where's the AFTER xrays?

Why isn't ALF part of the standard protocol taught in dental schools?   

I know, this is a "surgery" forum, but I'm trying to get some feedback on non-surgical options. 
Insanity = Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

LoveofScotch

Re: Anyone use ALF appliances?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 03:28:52 PM »
I worked with an ALF doctor, but he put me in the Twin Block, not the ALF. In his office, I saw some crazy amazing results on young children. These little faces were completely transformed; they looked like a really good before and after from surgery. With adults, I'm suspicious. I'm sure there are adults who this could benefit, but I hate when patients, who clearly need surgery, are lead to believe this will 'fix' them. I just think people need to make sure they are a really good candidate and do their research.

I don't know how to specifically answer your questions because I'm a little confused, too. If anyone ever claims this can move an adult maxilla forward...I could obviously be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's impossible.

retrudedmandible

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 09:38:24 AM »
Yes, I've seen the crane too!  I'd love feedback.  In the years that I've been researching non-surgical treatment for myself, I've noticed that there are not many after xrays.  I just can't help but wonder why there aren't any.  I've seen before and after teeth pictures, and before xrays, but if the ALF is supposed to help change cranial structures, where's the after xrays?
Insanity = Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

LoveofScotch

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 10:38:49 AM »
The ALF doctor I worked with is now using the CRANE, but he was not using it when I worked with him (this was years ago). I thought it was a joke, frankly. There would have to be some substantial evidence behind it AND it would also have to make a lot of sense, because talk about interrupting your life! You put in on after dinner and then wear it through the night, then take it off in the morning. A) I do stuff after dinner, and B) I already don't sleep, and I'm positive this will only make that worse.

If anyone sees this thread who has used the CRANE we would all be curious!

LoveofScotch

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 10:06:35 AM »
I will be seeing him again to discuss some clicking I've developed, and I'll absolutely bring up the CRANE. I probably will not be seeing him in the near future, though.