Author Topic: best time to buy airline tickets?  (Read 7912 times)

nrelax11

• Private
best time to buy airline tickets?
« on: July 08, 2014, 10:18:52 PM »
As many yall know my girlfriend and I just recently split up but are still really good friends and id like to see her before my surgery. My surgery is on the 28th and was thinking of flying up to her in Washington on the 24th just for a day and then coming back the 25th. Since it seems a lot of you travel a lot, is it better to wait later to book a flight. I wouldbt know if I could fly there untill after the 16th, so the tickets will be somewhat short notice. Is it more expensive waiting that late to buy a ticket for the 24th? Or should I book a flight asap and if I cant go cancel my flight?

PloskoPlus

Re: best time to buy airline tickets?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 11:22:29 PM »
As many yall know my girlfriend and I just recently split up but are still really good friends and id like to see her before my surgery. My surgery is on the 28th and was thinking of flying up to her in Washington on the 24th just for a day and then coming back the 25th. Since it seems a lot of you travel a lot, is it better to wait later to book a flight. I wouldbt know if I could fly there untill after the 16th, so the tickets will be somewhat short notice. Is it more expensive waiting that late to buy a ticket for the 24th? Or should I book a flight asap and if I cant go cancel my flight?

Kayak is your friend.

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 11:30:20 PM »
Kayak is your friend.

Lol, well she is only two states up the coast and I know a guy with a kayak :D I think if I leave now and survive I could make it to her by my surgery date hahah

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 12:12:14 AM »
Oh gawwd, I feel like a dummy xD kayak.com! lol.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 05:38:00 AM »
Dude,

she broke up with you preemptively, fearing (justifiably) you'll be out of her league post-surgery.  She saved herself from future hurt.  Now you should save your money.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 06:14:11 AM »
No, don't wait, prices will only go up.

Also if you look once and don't buy, clear your cache and cookies before you search again, or use a VPN.  Sites bump the prices up if they know you're visiting a 2nd or 3rd time. 
Sneaky

Personally if someone dumped me the last thing I'd be doing is flying over to see them.  It may be as she claimed that she "need to work on her personal s**t" but that also could just be an excuse to end the relationship....the classic "it's not you it's me".  Now I'm not saying that people don't end relationships simply because they can't deal with being in a relationship at that moment (done that myself) but also women do tend to sugar coat things or make an excuse rather than saying directly that they want to end the relationship cos they're not that into it.

Anyway regardless, IMO you're torturing yourself by going to see her and staying friends with her because it could well happen that you don't get back together.  Although I'm a bit brutal when it comes to relationships.  You can't be friends with people you want to bone

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 08:01:03 AM »
No, don't wait, prices will only go up.

Also if you look once and don't buy, clear your cache and cookies before you search again, or use a VPN.  Sites bump the prices up if they know you're visiting a 2nd or 3rd time. 
Sneaky

Personally if someone dumped me the last thing I'd be doing is flying over to see them.  It may be as she claimed that she "need to work on her personal s**t" but that also could just be an excuse to end the relationship....the classic "it's not you it's me".  Now I'm not saying that people don't end relationships simply because they can't deal with being in a relationship at that moment (done that myself) but also women do tend to sugar coat things or make an excuse rather than saying directly that they want to end the relationship cos they're not that into it.

Anyway regardless, IMO you're torturing yourself by going to see her and staying friends with her because it could well happen that you don't get back together.  Although I'm a bit brutal when it comes to relationships.  You can't be friends with people you want to bone

^this bro.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

LoveofScotch

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 10:09:03 AM »
I've actually had really good luck getting tickets, at a good price, with only between like 1-6 days out. I would still try and schedule out a bit in advance because waiting until the last minute can certainly backfire. In general, I find that scheduling right under the 3 week mark is the magic number. Also, this makes me sound old, but I also use a travel agent (yes, they still exist) when I can't find what I need/want. 

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 10:43:05 AM »
I know it sounds dumb to see her, but I think its something I can use right now with my surgery coming up. I talked to her about it and shes actually very excited to see me and was almost begging me to come up when I mentioned I would. I dont want to say what her personal reason for ending the relationship was, well because its extremely personal, but I know I will have another shot at being with her. We still talk everyday and still sleep on the phone at night lol. Im still going to be applying to the radiology technician programs in her area next year, so if I go to school there we have a better chance at working out. The rad tech programs in my area are extremely hard to get into because of lottery and just a ton of competition.

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 10:44:12 AM »

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 10:56:29 AM »

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 11:24:10 AM »
Lol, so dumb with the beta alpha s**t. I can tell your immature as f**k and im sorry I dont have problems getting girls, I just have a huge connection to this one.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 12:55:55 PM »
Lol, so dumb with the beta alpha s**t. I can tell your immature as f**k and im sorry I dont have problems getting girls, I just have a huge connection to this one.

Yah apparently only "fags" can have connections to stuff.  "Real" "men" don't form connections or have feelings cos they're too busy being manly and alpha and s**t  ::)

Seriously, anyone who still uses "fag" as an insult needs to STFU.  It's not 1980 and all of us are over 10 years old

Nrelax this sounds like the most non-breakup breakup ever  :P  ;D
Good luck with your surgery.  I'd say the key to surviving the recovery is to persuade the doc to prescribe you some kind of sleeping aid to use for the first 3-4 days

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 01:33:39 PM »
Thanks Tiny. I really am just trying to focus on my surgery coming up, but its hard. Just a little over a week ago I felt confident and ready for it, but now im doubting myself. Im sure after my pre op appointment on the 15th I'll start to feel more focused on the surgery. I wish I could just wipe everything off my mind right now and just be more focused on one thing lol.

Yea I depending on the pain meds for sleep and also ask him for a little something else.  I dont want to use ambien really though because I've weird s**t go on before when ive used it. Maybe I can try out lunesta or something.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 01:43:20 PM »
Thanks Tiny. I really am just trying to focus on my surgery coming up, but its hard. Just a little over a week ago I felt confident and ready for it, but now im doubting myself. Im sure after my pre op appointment on the 15th I'll start to feel more focused on the surgery. I wish I could just wipe everything off my mind right now and just be more focused on one thing lol.

Yea I depending on the pain meds for sleep and also ask him for a little something else.  I dont want to use ambien really though because I've weird s**t go on before when ive used it. Maybe I can try out lunesta or something.

I recommend "Z 12"  layered with whatever you fancy (even a sedating antihistamine will do).  You never know with docs if they are going to give you stuff so it's better to bring your own backup. I had just 4hrs sleep over the 2 nights before my revision rhino and the only reason I did an overnight stay in the hospital is because the doc had assured me he was going to give me benzos.  Did he hell; I spent the entire night awake and sweating and was literally in tears by the next morning.  Lunesta is quite chemically similar to Ambien I think so if Ambien doesn't agree with you then try one of the more old-fashioned benzos like Valium.  Or hit the gym hard in the days before the surgery

It's normal to be nervous before a surgery but in my experience - prepare yourself for hell, then you will feel better when it's not as bad as you expected.  The recovery from my primary rhino was way worse than I'd anticipated and I think that made it harder to deal with, but the extreme sleep deprivation made it 10x worse.  Also, the boredom is just as bad as any pain and discomfort