Author Topic: Need help recessed small jaws  (Read 6850 times)

babyface99

Need help recessed small jaws
« on: September 16, 2014, 10:59:03 PM »
Im considering getting jaw surgery. Im experiencing minor tmj problems, i snore loudly and i believe i experience some sort of sleep apnea as i toss and turn alot at night and no matter how much i sleep im still exhausted through out the day. Finally my my main concern though rather vain, is my non existent jawline/weak chin, after lurking on the forum for a bit ive come too see that many of you are very knowledgeable about abnormal craniofacial structure and the surgery required too correct these problems, can anyone who is knowledgeable on the subject please enlighten me as too what is causing me these issues, what type of procedures i could go to correct them and how to go about this process? Im 21 years old, i had braces for a long time as a child but didnt finish, please help me im extremely depressed because of this and i feel like a hideous monstrosity  :'(

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 12:31:06 AM by babyface99 »

Anna5

Re: Need help recessed small jaws
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 01:39:11 AM »
I feel very sorry that you feel so depressed about your jaw, you are definitely NOT a  hideous monstrosity!
The best advise I can give you is to go to a good ortho and/or surgeon and tell them about your concerns. They studied for years and can give you the best advise, much better than we, people on the forums, can give you.
I wish you all the best and good luck. I hope there will be a good solution for your problem. In the meantime I hope you can still happy with the person you are, sure we are our own worst critics...

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 03:17:37 AM »
That's good advice Anna.

notrain

• Private
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 04:09:51 AM »
from the photos, it looks like you had extractions in your upper jaw. is that correct ?

babyface99

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 10:08:08 AM »
no extractions

Mark32

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 11:34:59 AM »
hi babyface99

i agree with anna you're definitely not a hideous monstrosity. when you say recessed jaws, are you sure both your jaws are part of the problem? what's your bite like? ???

the reason i ask is that from your profile i would wonder if it's just your lower jaw that might be a bit recessed. have you an overjet or has any ortho ever mentioned class 2?

oh, and i don't wanna be patronizing, but have you ever tried chatting to a therapist about your depression? it's just that i often think that if someone doesn't feel good about themselves in general - you know, low self-esteem - then it can creep into how they view their physical appearance. :-\

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 04:26:57 PM »

You do have some recession in the lower jaw - it's not extreme.  Just some.  So there would be some argument for a BSSO or bimax, especially if you have a small airway and sleep apnea as a result

You're not a monstrosity...I'd say you look normal.  Some recession in the lower jaw is very common especially among those of European descent (go the UK, it's a nation of chinless wonders)

See a good surgeon and get a ceph and post it here and we can give much better advice

babyface99

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 05:59:32 PM »
how would i go about doing that and what sort of questions should i ask
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 08:38:06 PM by babyface99 »

Anna5

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 02:18:36 AM »
I agree that you look normal. I live in western europe and see many people around me with recessed jaws and little or no chin (including myself), it seems to be inherited. And I wonder, is there anything really wrong with this???? My jaw/chin is also a bit recessed but I think I won't correct it, I think it makes me 'me'.
Please now that the people in your daily life won't be focussed on your jaw, I am sure they just see a nice and beautiful guy.
But if it makes you so depressed, definitely go to see a good ortho and/ or surgeon, who can surely give you good advise about how to 'fix' this.  I wish you very good luck!

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 04:20:17 AM »
You do have some recession in the lower jaw - it's not extreme.  Just some.  So there would be some argument for a BSSO or bimax, especially if you have a small airway and sleep apnea as a result

You're not a monstrosity...I'd say you look normal.  Some recession in the lower jaw is very common especially among those of European descent (go the UK, it's a nation of chinless wonders)

See a good surgeon and get a ceph and post it here and we can give much better advice

Haha, so true it's especially prevalent amongst the red trouser brigade, bless 'em  ;D

babyface99

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 12:59:22 PM »
 i dont know anyone else who literally has no chin, my neck connect too almost my face surely this cant be normal

PloskoPlus

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 03:26:16 PM »
i dont know anyone else who literally has no chin, my neck connect too almost my face surely this cant be normal

I have a big jaw and a projecting chin, but my chin-throat length is not great.  The angle also matters a lot.

babyface99

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 04:46:36 PM »
Do i have vertical growth? I really hate my face wtf can i do

Mark32

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 02:34:55 PM »
Quote from: Tiny
Some recession in the lower jaw is very common especially among those of European descent (go the UK, it's a nation of chinless wonders)
this is something i've always wondered about. i live in the uk and have noticed something sort of like this. is it because people in this part of the world have a tendency to have a retrognathic profile? don’t know if that’s the right term but the lower face shape i’m thinking of is the opposite of an ante face, i think. a ‘post face’? ???

i used to think that a class 2 alignment seemed to be remarkably common here. from looking at friends and celebrities and the like. but since becoming a bit more familiar with all this and looking more closely at people’s teeth - especially pics of celebs - i think i may have been mistaking a class 2 with a ?retrognathic? profile.

has any medical research been done into this? is the prevalence of class 2 or a jaw alignment that leans in that direction greater in the UK/Europe? ???

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2014, 03:52:37 PM »
you made me LOL at the chinless wonders comment. It's true though.

To the OP, i have a similar profile (upturned nose and recessed lower jaw). I used to snore loudly but it seems to have improved with focussing on nasal breathing at night (which isn't alway possible for me). Can you breathe through your nose alright?

Get a ceph and post it if you can.