Author Topic: At what ages do the key stages of facial growth occur?  (Read 15245 times)

x

• Private
At what ages do the key stages of facial growth occur?
« on: January 12, 2013, 04:53:38 PM »
Asking because I've been seeing the orthodontist since I was either 9 or 10 years old. Is mouth breathing something they should've predicted with some foresight, and done something about back then? Or was it too late in growth stages anyways?  ???

Lazlo

• Private
Re: At what ages do the key stages of facial growth occur?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 11:05:26 AM »
Yup

Well the key thing here is that if you had a really amazing ortho at a young age (before 9 or 10 for sure) your palate is still malleable that it could expanded without surgery or extractions and your lower jaw could even be induced to grow. Before puberty simple distraction could also have been used to grow your jaws as Paul Coceancig is doing so successfully for so many kids. Hopefully this will expand to adults.

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 12:49:23 PM »
I guess my ortho was s**t then
I just had braces and a retainer

x

• Private
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 10:53:28 PM »
bump to get CK's opinion.

I imagine 10 y.o. was much too late already

CK

• Private
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 11:08:06 PM »
this is what i know from interacting with surgeons/dentists.

key growth occurs early on, like 6-10. yeah u might not see a lot but that is when the growth triggers occur, and that is the ideal time to redirect growth if it needs to be.

pretty much all the growth into adulthood is predicated on the original childhood growth periods. the bone development that is.

x

• Private
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 11:12:43 PM »
this is what i know from interacting with surgeons/dentists.

key growth occurs early on, like 6-10. yeah u might not see a lot but that is when the growth triggers occur, and that is the ideal time to redirect growth if it needs to be.

pretty much all the growth into adulthood is predicated on the original childhood growth periods. the bone development that is.

man that blows. So even if the underlying issue is corrected the growth is still directed down the wrong path it sounds like ?

and yes guys I know the ship has sailed, I just take more interest in the growth stages than most jaw surgery candidates

CK

• Private
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 11:19:15 PM »
man that blows. So even if the underlying issue is corrected the growth is still directed down the wrong path it sounds like ?

and yes guys I know the ship has sailed, I just take more interest in the growth stages than most jaw surgery candidates

well the underlying issue is just the problem caused by the abnormal growth. the problem becomes more severe and less treatable as you get to a certain point in age.

jaw surgery becomes compensation aesthetically at this point, and correction according to a surgical standard. it's not a fix or cure, just a correction. i mean if you just have a straight up jaw deformity okay congrats, but frequently that isnt the case.

most surgeons dont advocate surgery in children and the role of growth is rarely discussed, though orthos r trained to recognize the signs and diagnose dentofacial deformities.

x

• Private
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 11:23:06 PM »
well the underlying issue is just the problem caused by the abnormal growth. the problem becomes more severe and less treatable as you get to a certain point in age.

jaw surgery becomes compensation aesthetically at this point, and correction according to a surgical standard. it's not a fix or cure, just a correction. i mean if you just have a straight up jaw deformity okay congrats, but frequently that isnt the case.

most surgeons dont advocate surgery in children and the role of growth is rarely discussed, though orthos r trained to recognize the signs and diagnose dentofacial deformities.

I think my ortho had an eye for it, in removing nasal obstructions and keeping the upper palate wide for maximum airflow

No surgeon wants to give me a straightforward answer on whether mine is a straight up jaw deformity or more complex. I undrstand that thyey dont care, but it'd still be nice to know.I'll probably never know for sure

pekay

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 04:26:48 PM »
Chopsticks > Spoons

CK

• Private
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 04:34:15 PM »

the second one is what i looked like, only my palate is much higher, like this:

the xray they took that shows the muscle and soft tissue, looks exactly like that.

i wonder if that actually affects the neck similar to the illustration. i have that as well but i dont know if that is just due to poor posture habits.

pekay

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 04:40:52 PM »
Left is: Forward + Lateral growth (proper development)
Right: Downward + Inward

obv it varies from person to person
Chopsticks > Spoons

CK

• Private
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 05:06:04 PM »
Left is: Forward + Lateral growth (proper development)
Right: Downward + Inward

obv it varies from person to person

arent orthos supposed to be trained in dentofacial growth? how could they miss this? seriously. guess $$$ means more than patient health. 8 years of braces is better than 2 years+surgery.

Alue

• Private
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 05:20:20 PM »
Threads like this make me angry.  I have been told a number of different things by orthodontists regarding this, the inconsistency tells me that either they don't know what the f**k they are talking about or some are lying. 

I remain convinced that orthodontic work had a negative impact on my facial growth.   I know I have seen a lot of people complaining/worrying about that and (to be honest) only a few that looks like it had a real noticeable impact, but in my case looking at before/after pictures makes it pretty clear. 

CK

• Private
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 05:33:40 PM »
im not sure if they are lying or just ignorant. or after having gone through so much education, aren't really open to the idea of not knowing everything.

and if something goes wrong, the damage isnt seen till many years later.

some people are just born in a certain way and sucks for them, but for those of us who arent, it's so much worse. especially if it eats into your appearance and function. totally devastating.

looking at my status before braces and i cant believe what happened. i guess i got so used to everything i forgot how it was before. i just cant believe it.

Alue

• Private
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 05:37:05 PM »
im not sure if they are lying or just ignorant. or after having gone through so much education, aren't really open to the idea of not knowing everything.

and if something goes wrong, the damage isnt seen till many years later.

some people are just born in a certain way and sucks for them, but for those of us who arent, it's so much worse. especially if it eats into your appearance and function. totally devastating.

looking at my status before braces and i cant believe what happened. i guess i got so used to everything i forgot how it was before. i just cant believe it.

I forgot.
Did you have braces a kid/teenager?