Author Topic: How do you get jaw surgery with no friends or family in the area?  (Read 2300 times)

FaceDay

I'm thinking for something major like Lefort 1 + BSSO you would need next of kin in the waiting room during the surgery, then somebody to drive you home, then possibly someone to look after you the first couple days. The fact of the matter is that during this period, you'll be totally helpless and could easily be robbed by hired help. I can't be the only one who thinks getting in a taxi while half unconscious on pain meds is total insanity. Any advice from people who have been in this situation? Since some people even fly to foreign countries for surgery, there must be a strategy for this.

Alue

• Private
Re: How do you get jaw surgery with no friends or family in the area?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 01:17:58 AM »
I'm trying to figure out the same thing...
I'm more concerned with possible recovery complications and being alone. 

Wish I had more to offer, but there are a few people here that have done it. 

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 03:38:03 AM »
I did it, it was fine, preferable in many ways as you only have yourself to worry about.

It is doable you just have to make sure you're extra organised with supplies and what not, make sure you're well stocked up with protein shakes, soups and stuff.

LoveofScotch

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 10:10:07 AM »
You could hire a nurse for the first few days if you have the resources to do so.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 06:40:17 PM »
Just had Le forte 1, and I feel fine.  Double jaw is probably a different matter.

Alue

• Private
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 07:03:36 PM »
Funny thing is my family, who all live in different stats, are oppose to me getting jaw surgery.  They can't understand why I want to do it even though they all have normal profiles and class I jaws.  I'd be nice to have someone to help you out for the first week, but if they are going to be nagging and constantly remarking how they can't understand why you'd want to go through all this, maybe it's better to go alone. 

LoveofScotch

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 08:35:26 PM »
I'm not even sure they would release you from the hospital w/o someone else there to help you home (at least in the U.S.). I've been under general anesthesia a few times before, and I'm almost positive they wouldn't have let me wheel my sorry ass to a cab only to go home by myself. I've helped a few friends through surgery, and I actually had to sign papers at the hospital stating that I understood the post-op stuff and would remain with them for the next 24-48 hours. Never heard of someone needing next-of-kin in the hospital waiting room, though.

So glad you're doing well, PP!