Author Topic: Clinics in Spain , International Offices  (Read 6991 times)

Rico

Clinics in Spain , International Offices
« on: November 28, 2014, 12:36:16 AM »
When I was looking for some surgeons, I found out, that many clinics in Spain has International Office which is not typical for not rich countries,
That solution we can often meet in Germany or Switzerland

Who knows something about this phenomenom. ? How to explain this ?

I'm just curious, because where is international office, that menas a lot of patients and possibly good experience in many cases

Gregor Samsa

Re: Clinics in Spain , International Offices
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 11:30:54 AM »
A lot of young people, the typical demographic who have this kind of surgery, are unemployed in Spain. It makes a lot of sense that the clinics in Spain would cater to international patients who can afford the surgery. From what I've seen, the Spanish surgeons seem quite desperate to get new patients.

Rico

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 03:37:22 PM »
so its not good effect. It may reduce safety in such clinics.. I think, or I'm wrong

Langpam

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 11:26:54 PM »
Re clinics in Spain, I only have experience of the maxillofacial institute in Barcelona, but each of the (three) occasions I've been there it was quite busy with a mixture of people, older and younger. This kind of surgery is not just for young people. I was the only foreigner there!
What I particularly liked about them from the start was that they are not "pushy" and never showed signs of being "desperate" for business. Very different from my experience in the Sailer Clinic in Zürich

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 11:55:37 PM »
Did you consult with Sailer? I'd really like to know what that was like since he's quite infamous on this forum.

Langpam

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 12:43:36 AM »
Yes. I made a day trip to Zürich to consult with him, since I had been quite impressed with one of his " students", Prof Piet Haers in London.
As a person he is very flamboyant, amazing energy for a 71 year old ( dyed hair of course). He said that as well as doing bimaxillary and genioplasty he could sort out my big nose ( cheek!) and give me cheek fillers. I only wanted to cure my sleep apnoea. (Very pushy, all of these procedures add up)
I found him quite likeable apart from the fact that he wanted to recreate my face!!
The most spooky experience was the pre meeting with a certain Dr Schwob, who told me she had had bimaxillary and genioplasty at 52 ( not for sleep apnoea but obviously for cosmetic reasons). In my opinion she had had far too much done to her face and it looked awful. She was so pushy, showing me all their before and after photos. I believe Prof Sailer could have done a good job but his price was four times what I paid with Dr Hernández Alfaro. Also, due to the anti clockwise rotational bimaxillary my nose now has the support from the advanced maxilla and looks great. That's the first thing people notice about me!!! And that's without rhinoplasty, ha.

Rico

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 01:17:56 PM »
Langpam: it seems like You didn't bother about feeling complications (possibile permament problems) You are a good patient for a surgeon :)
After I showed this is importnt thing for me, Sailer implied, that he can't help me like many others.

What You demand is very important for a surgeon. A surgeon chooses a patient , like You choose a surgeon.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 01:27:17 PM by Rico :) »

Langpam

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 02:44:55 PM »
I had a list of questions for each surgeon. One of the most important ones to me was, given my age, the increased likelihood of nerve damage. ( not sure why you might think this would not be important to me??!!)
I believed Dr Hernández Alfaro and at 17 days post op I have pretty good feelings. From day 1 I had feeling in my upper lip. Now I have some feeling in my lower lip and a tingly feeling in my chin. Everywhere else is normal. I have stopped dribbling (American= drooling!!)
I was always aware that this  could be a risk. However I chose a surgeon who uses minimally invasive techniques so I trusted in him, which, at the end of the day is all that matters.
A surgeon doesn't "choose" his patient. After all, it's the patient who is paying!!!

PloskoPlus

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 06:46:02 PM »
I believe Prof Sailer could have done a good job but his price was four times what I paid with Dr Hernández Alfaro. Also, due to the anti clockwise rotational bimaxillary my nose now has the support from the advanced maxilla and looks great. That's the first thing people notice about me!!! And that's without rhinoplasty, ha.

Hate to be a spoilsport, but only a few weeks post-surgery the swelling can masks any deformities of the nose.  For the first 2 weeks I thought I'd never need rhinoplasty, but then as the swelling receded, the septum deviation and the dorsal hump became obvious again.  The maxillary advancement does make the nose look a lot smaller in profile overall, which is good.

Rico

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 09:15:18 PM »
Re clinics in Spain, I only have experience of the maxillofacial institute in Barcelona, but each of the (three) occasions I've been there it was quite busy with a mixture of people, older and younger. This kind of surgery is not just for young people. I was the only foreigner there!
What I particularly liked about them from the start was that they are not "pushy" and never showed signs of being "desperate" for business. Very different from my experience in the Sailer Clinic in Zürich

Do You know some more very skilled maxfac surgeons in Spain ?

Langpam

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 11:02:02 PM »
Why do you ask this?

I am delighted with my results and don't plan to investigate any further surgeons.

My aim was to be free from sleep apnoea. The pleasing aesthetic result is a bonus.

Rico

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 12:37:11 AM »
I asked about your PAST. Perhaps when You were looking for a right surgeon, you found some possibly very skilled ones ??? in Spain

Langpam

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 06:58:21 AM »
Hi Rico, I'm relatively new to this. I only started investigating jaw surgery in the summer, when I discovered it was a cure for sleep apnoea.
Although a maxillofacial surgery in Southern Spain contacted me through my dentist and gave me a free consultation, I wanted to opt for the most experienced and innovative surgeon in Spain. I found him in Dr Hdz Alfaro. No need to search any further.
As long as you can afford the surgeon, all is well.

Rico

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 07:49:05 AM »
As long as you can afford the surgeon, all is well.

it's not true

Langpam

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 08:10:20 AM »
Having enough money to pay for it is certainly a start.
There are never any guarantees, which is why someone with a lot of experience dealing with your type of case is a safer bet than someone who may be a bit cheaper but with less experience.