Author Topic: Could Clenching lead to relapse?  (Read 4748 times)

MrFox

Could Clenching lead to relapse?
« on: December 09, 2014, 09:50:47 AM »
I had double jaw surgery a week ago but always clench when I swallow, could this cause relapse?

Modigliani

• Private
Re: Could Clenching lead to relapse?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 10:44:19 AM »
Glad you made it  :)

No idea about relapse, sorry but if the clenching is an issue perhaps you could ask about getting a muscle relaxant? Valium works well.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 12:16:09 PM »
I had double jaw surgery a week ago but always clench when I swallow, could this cause relapse?

I'm over a year away from my surgery and I still clench a lot. No relapse so far that I can see.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 01:20:28 PM »
I had the same concern. One surgeon told me that damage to the muscles eliminates the risk. It may depend on what kind of surgery you had (I'm having double). Another told me he'd put me on medication to make sure.

I just got molds made for a new product called TMJ Nextgen to see if it will help. Though after I was nearly done with the process, they told me it's intended for people with joint problems, which I do not have. We'll see when it arrives, at least they've said they'd give me my money back if it doesn't help.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 04:38:50 PM »
Low dose of Valium.

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 06:55:24 PM »
I clench too still and haven't had any problems so far. But im only like 4 1/2 months post op

MrFox

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 09:42:43 AM »
Are the muscles cut with Piezosurgery? I have a big Adams apple and when I swallow with mouth closd it forces my teeth to be clenched together hard if I have mouth open then swallowing pulls my lower jaw down,I'm don't know how to stop it :(
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 09:53:08 AM by MrFox »

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 01:43:50 PM »
I didn't ask but I think piezosurgery only affects how the bone is cut. The whole purpose of it is to not damage soft tissue around it. There's one surgeon who makes smaller incisions so less muscle may be affected. Muscle relaxants sound like a prudent precaution. Bruxism must be very common in jaw surgery patients in general. I would add that treating sleep apnea may also help, as it causes a lot of bruxism too. That's a bit of a challenge since you can't use CPAP for a long time afterwards, at least 6mo I'd say. My surgery had better work, otherwise I don't know how I'll make it to that point or what impact it'll have on my ability to heal. I can't even get through a single night without the machine. The headaches and other problems are just awful, enough to wake me up several times a night.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 01:26:06 AM »
I can't even get through a single night without the machine. The headaches and other problems are just awful, enough to wake me up several times a night.

I have no idea how you manage.  I love sleep more than life itself.  I hope you get it sorted soon.

dovidiostore

• Private
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 05:00:23 PM »
almost 3 years post op and i clench a lot and have had no sign of relapse

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 07:30:28 AM »
I have no idea how you manage.  I love sleep more than life itself.  I hope you get it sorted soon.

I manage by using CPAP but before that, I was miserable with a laundry list of problems. Fortunately, they mostly resolved with treatment and only a few lingering issues. I'm hoping that a surgical solution will hit those since I still have some residual sleep apnea.

As to clenching, my tech at my last sleep lab said I clenched some falling asleep and waking up but not most of the night. It's useful to keep in mind that frequency and magnitude of clenching aren't obvious to the patient.

MrFox

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 03:30:38 PM »
Should your teeth touch constantly whilst the bones are healing or would this strain the jaw muscles like clenching would?

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 10:23:14 PM »
Your teeth shouldn't touch in general except when eating. See TMJ Healing Plan on Amazon.

terry947

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 10:29:16 PM »
I dunno. I doubt it's a bad thing thought.

I've had tmj issues for 4-5 years now, and ever since I started to keep my teeth together more at rest it seems like it's been getting better actually.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 10:56:18 PM »
I'm sorry, TMJ sucks monkey balls. Your best bet is to slow things down as much as possible. If you can make it to 60, then chances are degeneration will stop and you'll be good. Come to think of it, there's another application for Exogen/Orthopulse to look at. Just did a quick pubmed search and it seems studies are promising here. Could be huge!

FYI - my opinion is you should also be off birth control and on a Paleo diet using the autoimmune protocol. It sounds fad-dy and it is but check out Perfect Health Diet to see for yourself, you won't be disappointed!