Author Topic: premolars extractions  (Read 15646 times)

molestrip

• Private
Re: premolars extractions
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2015, 09:10:30 PM »
Lol good point. I didn't connect those two for some reason. I see your point but OTOH, I'm pretty sure my joints are screwed if I don't do anything too. I mean, all those joint people are basically sleep apnea, long faced, and anterior open bites. I see your point about the jaw shortening, especially in kids with developing jaws. They're already threatening to do that to my kids and no way I'll let them.

terry947

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2015, 09:23:01 PM »
Well he only recommend removing them in the lower jaw. I said no obviously. But all I worry that the bimax protrusion will look worse after jaw surgery, not to mention the functional side of it. Theres a reason we have 32 teeth, and I'm note sure if pulling any of them is a good option.

needadvancement

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2015, 03:22:36 AM »
I have 30 left, 2 wisdom teeth removed over a year ago because they were very impacted. I'm glad I was able to find an orthodontist who can help me without going the extraction route. Everybody should have an ortho who has more options than just extractions. And it should be a crime to do this to young children with no severe problems, there are orthodontists who treat 95% of their underaged patients without going this route.

Alue

• Private
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2015, 09:58:05 PM »
I have 30 left, 2 wisdom teeth removed over a year ago because they were very impacted. I'm glad I was able to find an orthodontist who can help me without going the extraction route. Everybody should have an ortho who has more options than just extractions. And it should be a crime to do this to young children with no severe problems, there are orthodontists who treat 95% of their underaged patients without going this route.

I agree.  My ortho did premolar extractions on almost all of his patients.  When I started considering jaw surgery about two years ago, I first consulted with a bunch of orthodontists and they all still swore by premolar extractions.  I had 4 premolars extracted and 4 wisdom teeth.  Only left with 24 teeth, making my already small jaw even smaller.  My premolars were extracted before they even fully came in, I had 7 teeth extracted at once 3 baby teeth and 4 premolars! 

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2015, 10:05:14 PM »
Are you in a world of pain?

needadvancement

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2015, 12:40:45 AM »
I agree.  My ortho did premolar extractions on almost all of his patients.  When I started considering jaw surgery about two years ago, I first consulted with a bunch of orthodontists and they all still swore by premolar extractions.  I had 4 premolars extracted and 4 wisdom teeth.  Only left with 24 teeth, making my already small jaw even smaller.  My premolars were extracted before they even fully came in, I had 7 teeth extracted at once 3 baby teeth and 4 premolars!

Well your ortho sure had a big pay day after that!

mynameis

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2015, 03:10:45 PM »
Its absolutely scandalous. They are completely ignorant of the evidence against what they are doing. There is lots of evidence against it and little evidence for it, except in certain rare cases.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2015, 03:27:04 PM »
What are the rare cases for it?

terry947

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2015, 10:03:43 PM »
probably only aesthetics

needadvancement

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2015, 02:14:11 AM »
Its absolutely scandalous. They are completely ignorant of the evidence against what they are doing. There is lots of evidence against it and little evidence for it, except in certain rare cases.

They all claim that there is actually no evidence against it and use cases of people who had it done but didn't suffer any problems from it, as evidence of the opposite.

buzzhead

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2015, 02:46:49 PM »
Well, actually,  I have been giving this a lot of thought seeing as I had this done to myself.  As for my dento facial situation I wonder if having had 4 bicuspids removed is conducive to my treatment now.  I need to have both jaws moved forward with cw rotation and the top jaw moved down anteriorly.  I need my airway opened up due to sleep apnea.  Part of this procedure is supposed to bring the hyoid bone forward opening up the airway.  I only have just so much "lip" tissue to work with.  It seems that if I didn't have the front teeth moved back first thus creating some lip excess and only had my dentition moved forward intact, I might have ended up with some degree of mentalis strain.  Does this make sense?
Some where in my cyber travels, it seems that I remember reading about some one preparing for bimax advancement where they were to have 4 premolars removed first

needadvancement

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2015, 03:03:16 PM »
It seems like most jaw surgeries that require a significant change to the bite will need extractions.

terry947

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2015, 08:03:07 PM »
Ya it seems that way. I could see why pulling teeth makes sense because If you have bimax protrusion then it could sort of fix it aesthetically, but the teeth are healthy and theres nothing wrong with them. Plus I've read that after extraction, there could be some bone loss in old age, would could also be bad. Another thing that bothers me is that I've had my wisdom teeth removed so now I have 28 teeth, plus two or fouth teeth pulled you're left with 24 teeth. Thats 8 teeth gone. 1/4 of you teeth gone. The jaw will also be smaller as well due to less surface area biting.

buzzhead

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2015, 07:03:21 AM »
You make some good points, but those would apply in a "perfect world".  Not everyone has large enough bone structure or face tissue to support the full compliment of the teeth they were born with.  For example, we all see people with a large full dentition with large teeth and large full "lip opening" to work with it.  You can see plenty of people with small mouth tissue.  Again, lip tissue can only be stretched so far.  Genetics don't always work in harmony.  Here I am defending tooth removal of all people.  I do believe that it was done too much, maybe still, but I also believe that there is a legitimate place for it.