Author Topic: Stiff and numb upper lip after Le Fort I  (Read 4092 times)

PloskoPlus

Stiff and numb upper lip after Le Fort I
« on: December 31, 2014, 02:32:57 AM »
I haven't been concerned by it, because I've been thinking any week now, but it's been almost 3 months, and my upper lip is still very stiff and feels "thick".  I think it's the cause of the weak smile as well.  What's everyone else's experience?

sean89

Re: Stiff and numb upper lip after Le Fort I
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 05:53:34 AM »
What movements did you have?

I was told that feeling can still come back after years.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 02:17:29 PM »
What movements did you have?

I was told that feeling can still come back after years.

5-6 mm forward, 1-2 mm down.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 02:27:08 PM »
I've heard a lot of patients describe the feeling after lefort 1 as if their face is frozen, you know like Hans Solo in star wars when he's encased in that graphite or whatever. I believe it takes about a year for that feeling to gradually dissolve. And there will probably be a few little spots here and there that remain numb forever. But most people don't find it bothersome.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 03:05:49 PM »
I've heard a lot of patients describe the feeling after lefort 1 as if their face is frozen, you know like Hans Solo in star wars when he's encased in that graphite or whatever. I believe it takes about a year for that feeling to gradually dissolve. And there will probably be a few little spots here and there that remain numb forever. But most people don't find it bothersome.

It's really just the lip for me.  I had numbness in the cheeks and nose, but that went away very quickly.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 11:00:16 PM »
It's really just the lip for me.  I had numbness in the cheeks and nose, but that went away very quickly.

that's a nerve then unfortunately. It will possibly resolve. Do you feel you can live with it though? cause you may have to.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 02:56:51 AM »
that's a nerve then unfortunately. It will possibly resolve. Do you feel you can live with it though? cause you may have to.
Probably.  It feels more numb on the inside than the outside. I have feeling on the outside, even if it's a bit muted.

It bothers me when I think about it or talk a lot (the lip gets tired) and it seems to be worse in the morning.  The swelling is worse in the morning as well, so it's probably the swelling and the scar tissue pressing on the nerves.

The right side, which was more recessed pre-op, is worse both in feeling and swelling.  It seems to be improving.  I'm pretty sure it's better than 4 weeks ago and definitely better than 8 weeks ago.  But it just seems to be slow going.  I get some tingles, thinking "this is it!", and then there is not that much change.

Oh well, one has to suffer for the art.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 05:16:05 AM by PloskoPlus »

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 01:49:11 PM »
Probably.  It feels more numb on the inside than the outside. I have feeling on the outside, even if it's a bit muted.

It bothers me when I think about it or talk a lot (the lip gets tired) and it seems to be worse in the morning.  The swelling is worse in the morning as well, so it's probably the swelling and the scar tissue pressing on the nerves.

The right side, which was more recessed pre-op, is worse both in feeling and swelling.  It seems to be improving.  I'm pretty sure it's better than 4 weeks ago and definitely better than 8 weeks ago.  But it just seems to be slow going.  I get some tingles, thinking "this is it!", and then there is not that much change.

Oh well, one has to suffer for the art.

ha ha true. but if you have tingles it might eventually resolve. That said, I know people several years out of surgery who still have nerve issues. as you said, it's one of the casualties of this surgery.