Author Topic: My Genioplasty (10 months update)  (Read 18334 times)

yxcvb

Re: My Genioplasty
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2015, 03:28:46 AM »
Hi!

So it's been 10 months since my genioplasty and I thought I'd share some update. I was busy living my life and forgot about this place but here is an update.

All the numbness and stiffness is gone now and I don't feel anything "weird" so I assume I have no nerve damage or similar which makes me very happy. I think my surgeon did a very good job with the "material" and I'm very happy with the result.

My face is more balanced now and very close to some kind of "ideal" which my surgeon actually followed.

I lost a lot of weight since January since my now "normal" looking face actually makes me motivated. You can see some excess skin on my face but that has nothing to do with the surgery.

Here is a pic:

You can see how the swelling went completely down and that I still have a deep mentolabial fold but now I have a good chin height which balances it well I think.

middle of lip to bottom of chin distance is 55mm (pre surgery was 49mm) so indeed my surgeon did the 6mm vertical advancement he promised. I also got a 6mm horizontal advancement, and I think both were equally important.

If you want to have a more masculine chin you need to address both the vertical and horizontal directions, surgeons often forget the former because it's more uncommon but if you have a short face this is an easy way to balance things out.

needadvancement

Re: My Genioplasty (10 months update)
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 04:30:59 AM »
Good to see you back with an update. Looking good and you didn't even have any of the bad side effects. Great deal, hopefully I'm as lucky when I finally get mine done in a month or two. So you had 6 mm forward and 6mm downward advancement, did you need to get some kind of bone grafting between the chin bone or did it all heal by itself?

yxcvb

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2015, 07:37:52 AM »
Good to see you back with an update. Looking good and you didn't even have any of the bad side effects. Great deal, hopefully I'm as lucky when I finally get mine done in a month or two. So you had 6 mm forward and 6mm downward advancement, did you need to get some kind of bone grafting between the chin bone or did it all heal by itself?

Didn't need any grafting but this is close to the limit they usually do (around 5-6mm). I've had a dental x-ray a couple of weeks ago which showed that bone is half consolidated, but still needs some time. I guess thats normal. I think bone grafting can be dangerous because it has a higher infection rate even though its your own bone so I wouldn't really want that.

ForeverDet

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2015, 01:07:24 PM »
Looking good! With isolated genio's and deep mental-labial fold, it not worsening is a partial success on it's own and yours has been reduced abit too because you correctly opted for vertical lengthening.

yxcvb

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2015, 12:40:43 PM »
Looking good! With isolated genio's and deep mental-labial fold, it not worsening is a partial success on it's own and yours has been reduced abit too because you correctly opted for vertical lengthening.

I agree that probably vertical lengthening is the most important part when you have genio. As a guy obviously. Surgeons have this "ideal" with the equal facial thirds and such but I think thats a very bad approach and probably true only for the female face.

As for guys I strongly believe that a long lower third is the most important aspect regarding attractiveness. I can say that just based on my own face and how it changes all aspect of your face and makes you 100% more masculine.

The equal thirds thing is very outdated and you should almost always aim for more lower third height as it makes a masculine face. When I was researching my genio I realized that almost all attractive male faces have a longer lower third, it seems pretty universal:

99% of surgeons will follow the ideal and call you dumb for suggesting this, but I think it's pretty self-explanatory and you can try actually shorten these guys lower thirds to match the supposed "equal thirds" ideal and you'll see they'll be less attractive. 99% of guys become more attractive with a longer/larger chin.

needadvancement

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2015, 12:07:25 AM »
^Very wise words, I have to put my foot down soon because I have a feeling my surgeon will want to discourage me from the amount of lengthening I want. yxcvb, beforehand did they talk about the limits of the advancement? Things like say nerves being stretched, bone issues etc. I just want to know what these 'limitations' can be.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 12:26:26 AM by needadvancement »

yxcvb

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2015, 03:32:30 AM »
^Very wise words, I have to put my foot down soon because I have a feeling my surgeon will want to discourage me from the amount of lengthening I want. yxcvb, beforehand did they talk about the limits of the advancement? Things like say nerves being stretched, bone issues etc. I just want to know what these 'limitations' can be.

Vertically the limitation is something like 6-7mm. Mostly because the gap gets too big and then you'd need bone grafting which might bring various problems like infections etc. But also the angle is an issue because the jaw line is supposed to be straight so you cant tip the end too much.

I think horizontally the limitations are more around 10mm but you'll most likely have the infamous triangle "gaps" at the side. Most likely 1-2 years of bone remodelling makes it invisible but first that could look concerning.

You can always do another genio if the first one wasnt sufficient but most surgeons will think you're nuts.

kjohnt

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2015, 12:39:26 AM »
I agree that probably vertical lengthening is the most important part when you have genio. As a guy obviously. Surgeons have this "ideal" with the equal facial thirds and such but I think thats a very bad approach and probably true only for the female face.

As for guys I strongly believe that a long lower third is the most important aspect regarding attractiveness. I can say that just based on my own face and how it changes all aspect of your face and makes you 100% more masculine.

The equal thirds thing is very outdated and you should almost always aim for more lower third height as it makes a masculine face. When I was researching my genio I realized that almost all attractive male faces have a longer lower third, it seems pretty universal:

Not to be a dick, and I'm not disputing your claim that a larger lower third is better, but I disagree with a couple things here:
1) Ideal male and female ratios, regardless of what those may be, are not much if at all different.
2) That picture of Hemsworth has inaccurate measurements.  No way his face is 261mm long.  I have a long face and it's about 225mm.

99% of surgeons will follow the ideal and call you dumb for suggesting this, but I think it's pretty self-explanatory and you can try actually shorten these guys lower thirds to match the supposed "equal thirds" ideal and you'll see they'll be less attractive. 99% of guys become more attractive with a longer/larger chin.

yxcvb

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2015, 06:22:37 AM »

Those arent measurements, those are ratios. Basically pixels in this case.

MaxilloMandibular

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2016, 08:37:37 PM »
Fantastic results. Who was your surgeon?

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2016, 09:48:05 PM »
looking awesome dude. i'm actually glad the mentolabial fold is back a bit after the swelling cause it looks very "superman/clark kent" chin. great results.

Tezcatli

Re: My Genioplasty
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2019, 09:14:26 AM »

You can see how the swelling went completely down and that I still have a deep mentolabial fold but now I have a good chin height which balances it well I think.

Do you still post here? You look a lot better now, what's the deal with people hating on mentolabial folds? I actually WANT a deeper fold, my chin was flat before surgery. I got a 13mm(!) advancement, the maximum you can get given the plate my surgeon uses, and a slight vertical shortening, the mentolabial fold is a bit deeper now but I think it's so swollen it will still show up more in the future.
I see that happened with you, how long did it take for the fold to get deep again?
https://media.springernature.com/original/springer-static/image/art%3A10.1186%2Fs40902-017-0102-8/MediaObjects/40902_2017_102_Fig2_HTML.gif
My chin looked like FG, now it's like DI/EH. I wish to be CG or even BF.

lookism

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2021, 12:22:17 PM »
this is exactly what i need