Author Topic: My Genioplasty (10 months update)  (Read 18335 times)

yxcvb

My Genioplasty (10 months update)
« on: January 10, 2015, 11:41:28 AM »
Hi!

So I had my genioplasty done one day ago. Just got home from the hospital. I had a pleasant experience with everything so far and the surgery went without any complications.

The whole thing took 3 days because we had to done the lab work and EKG the day before so basically:

day 1: lab tests+EKG+consultation with surgeon
day 2: surgery, then rest
day 3: got home (today)

I believe my surgeon did a pretty good job. The end of my chin is still numb but it is already coming back. I have numbness at my lower teeth, but not in the lips. The lip position is also better than before surgery. The labiomental fold is almost gone, just like my surgeon promised. They did a 6mm advancement in both the forward and downward directions. Since my lower face is very swollen now of course its not what it's gonna look like but I'm already very happy with it.

This is the day before surgery:

The official diagnosis was "microgenia". The distance between the eye and top of the head was greater than the distance between the eyes and bottom of the chin. Also I had a very deep mentolabial fold which caused skin problems as well as it looked ugly as hell. You can see it even from the side.

Right after I woke up from anesthesia:

At this point I couldn't really move my lower jaw because of the bandage. Got some painkillers and antibiotics for the night.

And this was today morning:

You can see it was very swollen, and I had some pains. When they released me I got prescriptions for antibiotics and painkillers.

I took this a couple of minutes ago. Not the best quality sorry:

The swelling got a bit better already. My doctor said it could take 3-4 days till its all gone. The numbness is getting better and better by the minute. I already got tingling and itching sensations on my chin which is a pretty good sign.

From the front it already looks pretty good as far as the labiomental fold goes:

You can see that there is a lot of swelling going on there but getting better.

I'll keep this thread updated just so people see how all this goes down.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 03:31:31 AM by yxcvb »

needadvancement

Re: My Genioplasty
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 11:49:45 AM »
Hey, good to see it went well and thanks for sharing your experience. This is so reassuring to me because I have been researching for my future SG for a while and it appears that your case is confirming everything: that the lower advacement will get rid of the mentolabial fold and is ideal for a chin that is already prominent but short.

I can't say for sure because of the swelling and your relatively high body fat, but this is a very good improvement. Chin height is so important for adult males and you already appear more manly. Your updates should be interesting.

yxcvb

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 11:52:07 AM »
Hey, good to see it went well and thanks for sharing your experience. This is so reassuring to me because I have been researching for my future SG for a while and it appears that your case is confirming everything: that the lower advacement will get rid of the mentolabial fold and is ideal for a chin that is already prominent but short.

I can't say for sure because of the swelling and your relatively high body fat, but this is a very good improvement. Chin height is so important for adult males and you already appear more manly. Your updates should be interesting.

Yeah if you have a deep mentolabial fold, forward advancement isnt enough, you need downward advancement as well. I'll post some pictures in the following days once the swelling is gone.

needadvancement

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 11:58:14 AM »
Yeah if you have a deep mentolabial fold, forward advancement isnt enough, you need downward advancement as well. I'll post some pictures in the following days once the swelling is gone.

Yeah. I'm just wondering, you sound like it wasn't a scary experience(got the pre surgery fears myself) so did you spend a day at the hospital? How was the pain and management? Also are you on a liquid diet for a while?

yxcvb

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 12:13:03 PM »
Yeah. I'm just wondering, you sound like it wasn't a scary experience(got the pre surgery fears myself) so did you spend a day at the hospital? How was the pain and management? Also are you on a liquid diet for a while?

I had planned this for a year and it got postponed two times because of administration problems. By the time I got into the operating room I've seen a whole genioplasty on youtube.  :)

So yeah I wasnt really afraid but when they wheel you into the room it can be a little scary first. The surgery was around 10:00 am and I spent the rest of the day at the hospital. Got some painkillers and could sleep well on the first night with an elevated head.

Now I cant really open my mouth more than 1cm so I ate some pudding and had a couple of protein shakes. I drank a lot of water so I'm not really that hungry. They said it can take 10 days till everything goes back to normal so I'm patient now.

Probably the worst area is around the mentalis (the muscle at the end of the chin) and that controls mouth movement so I guess I need to wait till it heals.

needadvancement

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 12:20:05 PM »
I had planned this for a year and it got postponed two times because of administration problems. By the time I got into the operating room I've seen a whole genioplasty on youtube.  :)

So yeah I wasnt really afraid but when they wheel you into the room it can be a little scary first. The surgery was around 10:00 am and I spent the rest of the day at the hospital. Got some painkillers and could sleep well on the first night with an elevated head.

Now I cant really open my mouth more than 1cm so I ate some pudding and had a couple of protein shakes. I drank a lot of water so I'm not really that hungry. They said it can take 10 days till everything goes back to normal so I'm patient now.

Probably the worst area is around the mentalis (the muscle at the end of the chin) and that controls mouth movement so I guess I need to wait till it heals.

Informative stuff, thanks. I'm curious about where you had it done and the costs but I fully understand if you want to keep that private.

Vic

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 04:03:28 PM »
Does upward advancement of a SG create a deeper mentolabial fold?

sean89

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 01:49:39 PM »
Early days yet but it looks a good result. Thanks for sharing.

yxcvb

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 05:20:17 PM »
So this was the 3rd day after surgery.

A lot of the swelling is gone now. Sorry cant take picture, but I'll add some tomorrow

The numbness is at 50% of its post surgery value which is already great. I could eat some tuna and baby carrots today finally after only liquids.

Face already looks much better without the swelling. I stopped taking the painkillers but I'll keep taking the antibiotics till its all gone. Could sleep well last night even on my side. A little pain here and there which is a good sign because that means the nerves started working again.

yxcvb

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 04:40:21 PM »
Alright, new pictures  ;D

The swelling is much better now. There is still a lot of tightness around the mentalis at the front of the chin, but its only 4 days since surgery, so I'm not worried.

Very good projection and chin height here:

From the front its still a bit swollen, but looks already more symmetric.

All in all I'm very happy with the results and they changed my facial ratios completely.

Chin height from middle of lips to bottom if chin is now cc. 52mm btw. Distance between eye and bottom of the chin is 12.2cm, now the same as distance between eye and top of the head which is supposedly ideal. So far so good  :)

needadvancement

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 04:57:11 PM »
I think this is an amazing result. I really hope to be in your current position one day.

Have people around you commented?

yxcvb

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 05:27:09 PM »
I think this is an amazing result. I really hope to be in your current position one day.

Have people around you commented?

I'm on a holiday now so dont know anyone here. I'll have to wait and see  :)

yxcvb

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 03:07:04 PM »
Okay, so now its been 12 days.

Most of the swelling is gone, but the stitches are still there. I dont know how long it takes for it to dissolve.

Most of the feeling came back around the chin, but my lower teeth are still kinda numb. Hopefully it gets better with time, my surgeon said nothing should be said before the 1 month mark regarding numbness, but I'm glad my lower lip is 100% normal already. Still have some tenseness at evenings especially around the side of the bone cut. But thats normal

I still have a hard time chewing with my lower teeth as the area under the lower front is still swollen and inflamed.
Antiobiotics are gone, I take 2mg diclofenac once a day because apparently it helps with the swelling and inflammation.
I lost some weight which is a nice plus.
I'll post pictures maybe tomorrow, I'll just keep bumping so people who want to have genio can see it it might go down.

BTW the whole thing costed around 700 Euros. One of the benefits of living in a second-world country I guess  :)

SGseeker

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 10:57:26 AM »
Congratulations! Looking great!!!

needadvancement

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 11:04:58 AM »
TS could you posty an update on how it's going with the recovery? I'm especially interested by the nerves and final result.