Author Topic: Uneven Jaw or Underdeveloped Jaw?  (Read 1631 times)

Rick91

Uneven Jaw or Underdeveloped Jaw?
« on: January 21, 2015, 06:24:03 AM »
Lower face asymmetry has really been bothering me recently; my right jaw sits lower to be lower than the left which in turn gives a bad impression of the chin as well. When I were younger I had issues with teeth grinding, however a couple of years back I received orthodontic treatment using Invisalign and since then grinding issues have all been eradicated. I got Invisalign purely for cosmetic reasons, and it didn't completely correct my bite (back lower teeth protrude inwards)

I've had a tendency to chew with the left side of my mouth and here is where the question is really. Is it possible my right jaw sits lower due to muscular reasons of not being used as much? And would chewing help even it out? If not, what kind of treatment would I be looking at? I'm aware of the mandibular osteotomy, but read there there tends to be preop treatment of braces. While I could fathom the idea of braces on the lower teeth, having top as well would be kind of disheartening.

I'm in the process of trying to get a consultation, just thought I would ask if anyone has any advice or similar experiences until then.

Thanks.