Author Topic: Is my maxilla recessed?  (Read 34637 times)

MrMaybeRecessed

Is my maxilla recessed?
« on: February 19, 2015, 07:34:41 AM »
Would I benefit from moving my maxilla/upper jaw up and forward?

Note vertical/flat midface cheek line.

Would it affect the nose also? What other aspects of my face could it alter? I know lower jaw will move along with it.

Thanks! :)

notrain

• Private
Re: Is my maxilla recessed?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 09:38:49 AM »
no, you wouldn't because

a) your profile is orthognathic - prognathic

b) moving the maxilla up would make your smile toothless.

MrMaybeRecessed

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 10:37:42 AM »
no, you wouldn't because

a) your profile is orthognathic - prognathic

b) moving the maxilla up would make your smile toothless.

Thanks for responding. An orthodontist proposed moving my maxilla forward (not sure about up, but he idealizes "up and forward") with a facepulling mask alongside palatal expansion which is why I ask.

What does "your profile is orthognathic - prognathic" mean? What procedures do I need to achieve a better profile? There's something weird about my looks and I just can't figure out what features cause the strangeness.

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 10:46:14 AM »
I think your profile is damn near ideal as is.  It would help to see your bite and how your teeth support your soft tissue but your profile pictured looks fantastic in my opinion and I have a very picky aesthetic eye.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 11:52:55 AM »
Your profile is perfect.

notrain

• Private
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 11:55:29 AM »
Thanks for responding. An orthodontist proposed moving my maxilla forward (not sure about up, but he idealizes "up and forward") with a facepulling mask alongside palatal expansion which is why I ask.

let me guess, Mike Mew?
What does "your profile is orthognathic - prognathic" mean? What procedures do I need to achieve a better profile? There's something weird about my looks and I just can't figure out what features cause the strangeness.

Your profile does not need fixing and you don't look weird.

MrMaybeRecessed

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 02:29:01 PM »
let me guess, Mike Mew?

Yes, Mike Mew! How did you know this?

If I don't get the maxilla moved forward, I am considering a chin implant (as you can see the lower is slightly back maybe a mm or two, and an implant could square the shape too as a bonus). What are your thoughts on this? And I guess I will get filler on the cheek area as my midface lacks projection, but would be willing to explore better options than filler if anybody has recommendations.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 02:48:11 PM »
Your face looks harmonious from the side at least so I don't understand why you're even considering surgery. If you insist on surgery then I believe a chin wing would give you a better result than a genioplasty but it would be a marginal improvement at best.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 02:55:17 PM »
Your face looks harmonious from the side at least so I don't understand why you're even considering surgery. If you insist on surgery then I believe a chin wing would give you a better result than a genioplasty but it would be a marginal improvement at best.

I agree.

babyface99

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 03:50:37 PM »
Idk how you look  from the front but Wtf man your already  q.t3.14/10 i wish my profile was half that good

babyface99

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 03:52:29 PM »
Your like the only one with a similar upper midface as me though your jawline is like 10x better though

terry947

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 08:21:51 PM »
dude your profile is fine man, theres nothing wrong.

MrMaybeRecessed

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 09:22:45 AM »
your profile looks good but you don't look good from the front...maybe malar osteotomy and orbital rim implants?

Yes I've been looking into these things. This is what I'd like to achieve ultimately:

I believe this can be done with a chin and mandible implant. The midface and brow ridge can be done with fillers. I've e-mailed a few surgeons but not sure who is considered the best for this type of thing.

MrMaybeRecessed

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 12:09:48 PM »
because he has a track record on these forums and he is the only orthodontist (or should i say orthotropist?) who is recommending non surgical manipulation of the maxilla transversally or sagitally on adults when it has been proven beyond any doubt that this is not possible.

You don't need the maxilla moved forward. your nasolabial angle is obtuse already because your nose is upturned. an upturned nose indicates slight maxillary prognathism. Your maxilla also projects beyond the nasion, which also means it's already more forward than normal. Your chin is well proportioned and its projection is well within normal range, in your morph it looks like the head of a penis. Do you want to shell out 6k Euro and risk permanent nerve damage to your face to have a penis sticking out of your face? chin wing is a full circumference cut around the mandible, riskiest facial surgery out there.

Your midface doesn't lack projection. You look like you are from the netherlands or england, people there generally don't have prominent cheekbones / zygomatic arches. You look like you are supposed to look like and your profile is attractive, no reputable surgeon would operate on you which leaves only the quacks that would probably ruin your face.

That's actually really good insight, appreciate your time... If my nose is upturned from overgrowth of the maxilla that probably means moving it more forward would turn me into literally the Grinch or something! Not sure why this was suggested to me.

@ Piccoloprincipe15, I hear you on the midface. Osteotomy sounds a bit extreme as I believe this is to do with cutting and shifting bone? Can't find much information on it either. On this very forum I heard there isn't much information available on the topic because it's mostly "syndrome people" who have had it done. But implants sound like a very simple and easy solution, or even filler work.

I know somebody who had a wrap-around orbital rim implant which extended around the sides, maybe I could look into that.

I do want a chin implant, I think the morph might be a bit extreme (like a penis as mentioned) compared to a result that will look good and natural in real life, so maybe be a bit more economical... Very slight advancement on GIMP is aesthetically pleasing, and using my fingers to project it forward a couple of millimetres looks nice in the mirror. The mandible could also be better but I'd have to consult a surgeon first. I think these are easy to fix. I am looking into implants as fillers get expensive year after year especially to make such drastic changes, nose is easier to do.

I think this guy has a similar "before" except I have less fat and my maxilla and chin are more forward to start with:

notrain

• Private
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 12:26:42 PM »
the guy you posted has a class 2 jaw and he camouflaged it with a genioplasty or implant. note his deep mentolabial fold and his lip incompetence which give away the jaw retrusion. now he has a retruded jaw and an elongated chin - sub par result. you do not have a similar issue.

WRT your midface, you can of course do what you want, but realize that the difference between now and a hypothetical after with implant/fillers will be minimal and more for your own peace of mind than to actually make you look vastly different / better.

to put it bluntly: if you are doing this to get laid more, then the money would be more wisely invested in hookers.