Author Topic: Is it worth me getting jaw surgery? Opinion please.  (Read 1601 times)

Z9

Is it worth me getting jaw surgery? Opinion please.
« on: March 01, 2015, 05:19:07 AM »
I've been told I'm too old to have my jaw pushed forwards with braces. Not sure whether it's worth me having surgery on my jaw or if it looks ok.

Please be honest.

First 2 photos are of my bite naturally and last 2 are showing what it looks like when I push my lower jaw forwards so the teeth line up.

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q636/Z15/photo%201_zpsmabouo2i.jpg

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q636/Z15/photo%203_zpstzctprnq.jpg
-

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q636/Z15/photo%202_zpsefluaqzi.jpg

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q636/Z15/photo%204_zpsaurk5bwo.jpg

Many thanks

JawKid7

Re: Is it worth me getting jaw surgery? Opinion please.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 08:17:51 AM »
if i were u i'd most definitely have surgery
"Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.”

had upper jaw surgery on 5th October 2015

Alue

• Private
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 10:23:42 AM »
I think it would be worth it.  Without seeing x-rays it looks like your maxilla is in a good position and you may be able to get away with just moving your mandible (bsso) and a sliding genioplasty.  This could change depending on your bite, you may need bi-max.  Your maxilla is prognathic and your mandible is retrognathic, but this is a good position to be in for surgery in my opinion.  Some of the most dramatic (esthetic) changes seem to occur when a person has one jaw that grew into pronathic position and the other is brought up to it.   

See a orthognathic surgeon and get their opinion, and don't just let an orthodontist extract upper bicuspids in attempt to align your bite. 

Z9

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 10:41:10 AM »
Thanks for the replies. That was the other option they gave; to align the bite without surgery, sounds like that's a bad idea though?

I only recently turned 17 is there a chance that the mandible will grow and move further forwards?

I have an appointment soon will probably get an x-ray.

Alue

• Private
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 10:54:04 AM »
Thanks for the replies. That was the other option they gave; to align the bite without surgery, sounds like that's a bad idea though?

I only recently turned 17 is there a chance that the mandible will grow and move further forwards?

I have an appointment soon will probably get an x-ray.

Aligning bite without surgery is a bad idea at this point, this was done to me when I was in my early teens and I regret it 100%.  You are still young and in a good place for a very solid outcome with a good surgeon. 

PloskoPlus

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 12:00:53 AM »

Your lower jaw will never catch up with your upper jaw.  But the mandible does supposedly grow a bit with age, more so with males.  I think for males it's advised to have surgery no earlier than 19-20 for that reason.

tldr;  you need surgery.

terry947

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 07:02:30 PM »
I say go for it. It'll improve your profile a lot.