Author Topic: Sliding Genioplasty Journey with Dr. Gunson  (Read 59418 times)

SJay

Re: Sliding Genioplasty Journey with Dr. Gunson
« Reply #120 on: October 22, 2015, 10:32:43 AM »
Wow indeed! You were obviously pretty to begin with, but you're looking absolutely amazing now! There's no awkward deep mento-labial fold or anything, your chin runs smoothly and it looks very natural. Can I ask what was done regarding the lip incompetence, and where the paste was actually applied? Dr Gunson mentioned that I too have this, and that he could 'address it'... but I'm not really sure what that involves.

Thanks for sharing your story. I've been thinking about a genioplasty with Dr Gunson and seeing your result, I think I might just be sold! Hope you continue to have a smooth recovery.

trojans101

« Reply #121 on: October 22, 2015, 04:49:13 PM »
It really does look good so far even with the swelling. Can't wait to see how it turns out in the coming weeks! Keep us posted!

ForeverDet

« Reply #122 on: October 27, 2015, 12:13:11 AM »
I'm just catching up to your progress, I haven't been on here in weeks.

Congratulations! And looking good. Swelling doesn't look too bad but I understand, the front is always much worse.

I'm glad you got stronger meds, no need to suffer.

Keep up updated :)

SGseeker

« Reply #123 on: October 28, 2015, 07:46:40 PM »
Wow indeed! You were obviously pretty to begin with, but you're looking absolutely amazing now! There's no awkward deep mento-labial fold or anything, your chin runs smoothly and it looks very natural. Can I ask what was done regarding the lip incompetence, and where the paste was actually applied? Dr Gunson mentioned that I too have this, and that he could 'address it'... but I'm not really sure what that involves.

Thanks for sharing your story. I've been thinking about a genioplasty with Dr Gunson and seeing your result, I think I might just be sold! Hope you continue to have a smooth recovery.

Thank you so much. He moved my chin forward 6mm and up 2mm. He spent about 1 hour deciding between 8mm and 6mm in the operating room apparently. 8mm looked too much like a 'door knob' to quote Dr. G.

I also have HA on the sides (don't kill me! I know some people were against it but I decided to go forward with it. I'll post more on that in my update). The HA is for the step off on the side. He also did jaw angle grafts.

Regarding the lip incompetence he moved my chin forward and it closed my lips closer together. They practically touch at rest now maybe 1-2 mm MAX seperation . Yesterday he was still in shock by how well the surgery addressed it. My lower lip used to hang, now it just goes inside my mouth properly - don't know how to describe it but it is A LOT better. Dr. Gunson is really sweet and knows what he is doing - based on my experience so far. Two days before surgery I asked if we could reverse it if I didn't like the outcome and he said we could but he wouldn't reverse it rather he would find a way to make me happy/make it better. I really liked that response because he clearly knew that where I was before was not acceptable and we would find a solution together.

SGseeker

« Reply #124 on: October 28, 2015, 07:54:10 PM »
Hi Everyone! First - THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE SUPPORT !!! Just letting you know I survived my flight back to Toronto. 2 Hr bus ride from Santa Barbara to LAX then a 4.5 hour flight to TO. I'm very swollen now but I will post photos in the next couple days. Things are looking good so far. I really love my profile so far. SO SO swollen in the front BUT it has gone down. I will post a photo of the day after surgery vs. today and i am like 2-3x the size but it is slowly going back to normal.

To be transparent to whoever is reading, I feel that the genioplasty recovery was ok but the HA paste recovery is tougher than I expected. The adjustments Dr. G has to do after are KILLER.... whew. Also I have more incisions in my mouth due to that as well. Swelling is also A LOT worst due to the HA. Also didn't realize that. Just wanted to write it for someone else who wants to do this - HA paste WILL cause swelling and it is not as easy as you might imagine it to be (or as I thought it would be). Between the swelling and adjustments it is pretty intense. Anyways- fingers crossed all of this yields great results. I'm heading back to SB in a couple weeks for 2 more adjustments with Dr. G YAY ..... Luckily he and Kim are super nice and sweet so it makes it all better.

Edit: also thought I should comment on numbness - I am 13 days out of surgery and I have regained sensation of my lips and my chin is just a bit sensitive but no longer numb. I feel all of my gums but my lower teeth are still numb. Not as numb as day 1 which shows improvement but not as normal as I would like. I'm hoping it will get better over the next few weeks. Top teeth and gums are feeling perfect now - felt a bit weird before as Dr. G had to put in a screw on my top and lower gums to keep my jaw stable as he sawed my chin (sounds soooo gory) . This was to avoid any injury to my joints.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 08:02:39 PM by SGseeker »

chinnychinchin

« Reply #125 on: October 28, 2015, 09:00:25 PM »
Glad to hear you're doing well SGseeker! That's rough having to go back to SB from Toronto. I'm from LA and I thought my trip was pretty gruesome =p

Just want to reiterate that Dr. G and his team are the best :)

Serra

• Private
« Reply #126 on: October 31, 2015, 09:28:27 AM »
Thank you so much. He moved my chin forward 6mm and up 2mm. He spent about 1 hour deciding between 8mm and 6mm in the operating room apparently. 8mm looked too much like a 'door knob' to quote Dr. G.

I also have HA on the sides (don't kill me! I know some people were against it but I decided to go forward with it. I'll post more on that in my update). The HA is for the step off on the side. He also did jaw angle grafts.

Regarding the lip incompetence he moved my chin forward and it closed my lips closer together. They practically touch at rest now maybe 1-2 mm MAX seperation . Yesterday he was still in shock by how well the surgery addressed it. My lower lip used to hang, now it just goes inside my mouth properly - don't know how to describe it but it is A LOT better. Dr. Gunson is really sweet and knows what he is doing - based on my experience so far. Two days before surgery I asked if we could reverse it if I didn't like the outcome and he said we could but he wouldn't reverse it rather he would find a way to make me happy/make it better. I really liked that response because he clearly knew that where I was before was not acceptable and we would find a solution together.

Did he say anything else about reversing/not reversing it? Looking to reverse mine and I really want him to do it.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 10:17:30 AM by Serra »

SGseeker

« Reply #127 on: October 31, 2015, 05:15:10 PM »
Did he say anything else about reversing/not reversing it? Looking to reverse mine and I really want him to do it.

Hi Serra,

I am not at a point where I want to reverse it. In our pre-surgery discussion he said that we would work to find the best solution. Obviously I wasn't happy before and that is why i got this surgery. So for me reversing it would just put be back to where i was before (unhappy) vs making an adjustment. So he said we would work so that I was happy not to just go back to where i was before. I think for you since you had it plus jaw surgery it shouldn't be a problem if you aren't happy with it. Maybe it wont be a reversal but rather an adjustment back slightly.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 05:27:10 PM by SGseeker »

SGseeker

« Reply #128 on: October 31, 2015, 05:27:56 PM »
EDIT - just in case you read my last reply.

I thought you had your primary with Dr. Gunson. If you didn't it might be more complicated for him to reverse but he seems to be skilled enough to do it.

SGseeker

« Reply #129 on: October 31, 2015, 06:00:32 PM »
Two weeks out and a couple photos - including one from the front. It is so much larger than before - i hope it goes down --- A LOT! I know he put HA past but this is way larger. It must be swelling or muscle tension. It feels squishy then hard on the sides. Let me know what you guys think. The side I am happy with but the front is making me a bit depressed. I'm supposed to go back to work on Monday and I am terrified.

** Please PM me for before/after shots**
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 05:47:26 PM by SGseeker »

needadvancement

« Reply #130 on: October 31, 2015, 06:17:18 PM »
Thanks for adding pictures. Definitely some swelling left. How much, hard to tell but I'm sure your surgeon will predict it most accurately. I didn't realise you had HA paste on your jawlines too.

Perhaps in the mean time you can try to style your hair in a way to make the bottom half of your face look smaller, if it's bothering you.

SGseeker

« Reply #131 on: October 31, 2015, 06:28:50 PM »
Thanks!! Dr. Gunson said that I wouldn't be "presentable" until 1 month really and a better idea of the results before month 3. Soooo yea it's just really hard. I don't know what I am going to say to people that ask either! The HA on the jawline was Dr. Gunsons recommendation as my jaw dropped quite vertically so pushing the chin forward alone would make my jawline unharmonious.

If anyone else has had HA please let me know how the swelling was! Thanks!

Serra

• Private
« Reply #132 on: November 01, 2015, 09:24:37 AM »
Thanks for your response, SGseeker. I wouldn't be surprised if I had the most complicated genio case there ever was. It's that bad.

You're extremely swollen around the HA, clearly. I think your swelling will take a long time to go down. I remember the notches in my jawline felt like rocks for months, apparently from bruising/blood.

PS: We're both from the best cities in Canada. Let me know about costs by PM if you can.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 09:38:57 AM by Serra »

SGseeker

« Reply #133 on: November 01, 2015, 10:21:43 AM »
Hi Serra, sorry to hear you had so many complications. I'll PM you info. Yea the notches on my jaw are tough and painful. Yay Canada. I really wish Dr.G was in TO haha but SB is an amazing place so beautiful! So I don't mind being there either hehe I hope Dr. G will be able to help you. Wishing you the best - I can't imagine what you must be going through.

SGseeker

« Reply #134 on: November 02, 2015, 09:07:29 AM »
Something else I just remembered and wanted to share. In my consult Dr. Gunson did all of the math for me to have full double jaw surgery. After doing this he saw that most of the issue was in my chin area and he would have to do a 6mm SG along with the upper and lower jaw. The difference in aesthetics was about 2mm of projection between dbl jaw and just sg. Since I don't have any functional issues at the moment (bite, sleep apnea, tmj) it didnt make sense to go the whole 9 yards. This makes me happy because if I do develop any of these issues I can go back to Dr. Gunson for the other part of the surgery. He wouldn't have to change my genioplasty as if it was overcompensating for a recessive jaw. Just thought I should share that with you all as it gives me peace of mind.

Photo attached that makes me think it was worth it so far.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 11:57:21 AM by SGseeker »